Brewer Fanatic

Munson, Rivera or Rottino?; Latest: Munson clears waivers, outrighted to AAA

jwill535
I'll be the statisitcal outlier here and say Rottino. Like finishing a logic puzzle, I vote Rottino based on why it won't be Munson or Rivera, and the intangibles his Yostiness brings to the table.

1. Either Saturday or Sunday Powell was saying how Management expected Rivera to go to AAA last year after getting a pretty good look at the majors in 06 and mash the ball a little bit more. I think if the powers that be are letting things like that float to the press, they aren't crazy about him. That and I think his defensive abilities could best be described as "meh". We have already had a light hitting catcher with shaky D; his name rhymed with "Crab Bowler".

2. I don't think Doug lets Ned take a lefthanded backup catcher. Doug knows Ned's proclivity to go lefty-righty platoon in certain places, and having a lefty catcher may be too tempting. Not wanting to irritate Kendall, the 'Stache puts the kybosh on that idea.

3. Rottino has that gritty battler thing that Yost loves. Plus he knows he can start him at 1B and move him to C if need be. Rottino has earned a shot; the local thing is just icing on the cake. Besides, Yost knows he can always have Simmons go in http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Two things, Kendall is to much of a Yost "battler" type for his statistics to get the way. Secondly i think with this being the year they are pushing Munson might be the better option, plus just like Yost loves "battlers", Melvin loves to find the scrap heap players and prove they are still major leaguers.

With that said Rottino's ability to play pretty much any position may help especially if a player like Kapler forces his way onto the roster pushing Dillion back to the minors.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if Hardy goes down with an extended injury that have to move Hall to ss. I know we are supposed to be sensitive to Hall's feelings, but anyone else at ss would seriously damage the team.

Then who would we put at 3b?

Ryan Braun!!!! No, just kidding. I'm thinking it's easier to find a corner guy than a ss, so Rottino or Dillon could play 3rd.

Ryan Braun!!!! No, just kidding. I'm thinking it's easier to find a corner guy than a ss, so Rottino or Dillon could play 3rd.

This is where I think the Brewers would have the hesitation releasing Counsell. I saw Rottino and Dillon quite a bit in Nashville and they're not awful defenders, but I think over time the defense wouldn't be all that great at 3B. I think either of those two would be fine filling in for a guy here and there, but if a big injury would happen and assuming that the Brewers don't want to call up Escobar for an extended time this year we'd struggle on defense at 3b and that would hurt what the Brewers did this off-season in terms of improving the defense.

I think they got Nunez in case of an injury to a middle infielder or 3B. I would guess Counsell ends up playing everyday and Nunez gets called up is either Weeks or Hardy go down.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Counsell was actually one of the best defensive players in the game last year statistically.

Maybe his stance changes will let him hit .250.

Now I have seen it all. Ennder is looking at BA, not OBP.

Okay -- let me make my semiannual attempt to debunk the myth that statheads don't care about BA.

Statheads do love OBP. We like SLG a lot too. Getting hits contributes to both essential elements of offense: getting guys on base and bringing them around to score. Put even more simply, BA is a big part of OBP. So if you love OBP, you have to care about BA.

What statheads (and I know I'm overgeneralizing and presuming to speak for lots of people, but what the heck) don't like is the historical tendency to overvalue BA. Twenty years ago, lots of people didn't even know what OBP was, let alone that OBP is more important than BA because it reflects more information. Some people still argue that a hitter can't help his team if he hits .220, even if he also walks 100 times and hits 40 homers. Statheads aren't stupid enough to think such a hitter is just as good as another guy who hits .300 with 100 walks and 40 homers; of course that 80 points of BA is huge. But statheads get that the .220 guy can help his team.

Please tune in next week for "why statheads care about strikeouts as an indicator but not as a result."

Greg.

Yes, but he used only BA without OBP. I never said he didn't care about BA. Besides, you are taking something way to seriously that was meant only in jest. Which was a comment more that I have never seen Ennder use only BA in a post. I was not grouping him in with other people as you are suggesting.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Jim Powell was saying on the radio this past weekend that Kendall expects to start 140+ games this year. Doesnt leave much pt for the backup.

Jason Kendall's 33-y-o knees started crying when they heard this announcement - video on YouTube. I think Jason's being a tad over-zealous... but then again, if he can actually start 140 games, I'm sure the Brewers would gladly take it, as long as it means an OBP greater than .330 from Jason.

I don't know, to me, the fact that he does plan on starting 140 games to me leads me to believe that Rottino would be a better choice because of that. He can play so many other position, so if you're going to need a backup who only plays 22 games, wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd want someone who could then play so many other positions and do so many other things for your teams?

On one hand you've got someone who can only do one thing and that's catch in Rivera of Munson(though Munson could play 3rd).

On the other you have someone who can play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, SS in a pinch, and all three OF positions.

So while I like Munson, I would think that would make Rottino a better choice, not worse.

I agree with the Rottino thing his defense seems to have garnered the most praise of the three and if nothing else that carries a lot of weight in the back-up catcher department. This 140 games from Kendall thing needs to not be reality though. Old catcher coming off some injury racked poor seasons is not a match for hyper catcher durability. Even if Kendall does bounce back quite a bit that past will have him totally fried by August. 120 games caught and some pinch hitting for 10-20 games is much better than acting like he'll start all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been saying all along that Rivera could not be counted out. If Kendall stays healthy, Rivera will probably only start once a week at most, but he's the kind of guy who'll accept that role, work well with the young pitchers and be a good influence in the clubhouse.

I'm really happy for him. He accepted the chance to stay in Brewer system when he was waived last spring after performing well in the 2nd half of 06 and having a good spring in 07. His loyalty has paid off.

work well with the young pitchers and be a good influence in the clubhouse.

How do you know that will be the case? I'm not saying it won't, but he really didn't do anything from the games I saw that would give me that opinion. I would actually say Munson would've worked better with the pitchers and a better influence in the clubhouse.

All in all it's not a shock. Rivera has some pop in his bat. Hopefully Munson will accept Nashville and not opt to become a free agent. I'm going to guess he opts out since he'd be a back up, but we'll have to wait and see.

work well with the young pitchers and be a good influence in the clubhouse.

How do you know that will be the case? I'm not saying it won't, but he really didn't do anything from the games I saw that would give me that opinion. I would actually say Munson would've worked better with the pitchers and a better influence in the clubhouse.

All in all it's not a shock. Rivera has some pop in his bat. Hopefully Munson will accept Nashville and not opt to become a free agent. I'm going to guess he opts out since he'd be a back up, but we'll have to wait and see.

Have you ever heard Jim Powell call Rivera "affable"? I have. I think that implies he's good natured, and liked by his teammates. He's been at Nashville for parts of 3 seasons where he's caught Villanueva, Gallardo, Parra (Rivera caught Parra's perfect game), and McClung. All of those guys had great success at Nashville. In fact, the last several seasons, Nashville has led the league by a wide margin in ERA. Sure they've had some good arms down there but the catcher deserves some credit.

Have you ever heard Jim Powell call Rivera "affable"? I have. I think that implies he's good natured, and liked by his teammates.

He didn't really give that impression from the games I saw, but I hope it works out for him. He's been with the organization in AAA for a few years and remember -- he can play 3rd base (he played 2 games in AAA last year). All jokes aside I hope we don't see him at 3b in Milwaukee.

Nice. I'm really happy for Mike Rivera. He was out of baseball in 2005 until the Brewers picked him up to take over for (iirc) Julio Mosquera in Nashville.

I think he'll do a fine job as the backup, and he has good pop. His OBP leaves something to be desired, but a .300/.400 type line from a backup catcher is more than acceptable (which is about what I think he'll do). He's not a complete liability with the bat like some backups are (cough* Chad Moeller *cough).

I am not surprised that Munson made it through waivers. (Does anyone really want him on their opening day roster?)

But I would be suprised if he didn't sign with another team as a minor leaguer. He is better than a back-up in AAA.

Someone will let him start this year in AAA with a chance of a call-up.

I have to think Munson will report to Nashville. He's still likely to be the first catcher up in case of injury. I'm not sure how many other team's would have him #3 on their depth chart, but it can't be many.

Meh, I really dislike Rivera, his slow-motion swing, and the many holes it contains. And yay, another righty. Maybe Kendall can find a way to start 162 games this year. (Never ever thought I'd be saying that!)
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I have to think Munson will report to Nashville. He's still likely to be the first catcher up in case of injury.

doing so would require purchasing his contract. if his expected stay is to be for a short duration, the brewers would have to outright him all over again by exposing him to waivers and again allowing him the right to declare free agency instead of reporting to nashville.

rottino's already on the 40-man roster. he's the likely call-up.

Archived