Brewer Fanatic

Munson, Rivera or Rottino?; Latest: Munson clears waivers, outrighted to AAA

jwill535
With his performance so far in spring training i would have to think that Munson has to be the clubhouse leader to be the back up. His left handed bat with power has to be intriguing, granted Yost would never use him off the bench. I haven't seen how Rottino has looked behind the plate but his versatility has to be his calling card. I still have to think that Vinny is a year away from making the team. Rivera at this point is going to be the starting AAA catcher in my opinion.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 factors that keep Counsell in the roster

1. Above average middle infielder that can back up 2nd, SS and 3rd.

2. I cant see the Brewers eating the 2.2 or so million he is making this year.

3. his grittiness and "gamer" factor is like perfume to Yost.

I thought Yost mentioned that defense will be the main thing they are looking at from the backup catchers. There was a quote by Yost about how well Rottino is doing behind the plate. Rivera's never been known for his defense, not sure about Munson.

Also, Yost said that the backup catcher may end up being the backup 1B. Rottino may have a slight edge, if Dillion doesn't make the team.

I don't think Rottino can play SS anywhere near the ability of Counsel.

Probably true, but Hardy played 149 games at ss last year. I realize they will never release Counsell but what an incredible waste of resources and a roster spot just for a backup who will only be needed for 10-12 games. Even if Counsell is a tremendous defensive ss, which I doubt at this stage of his career, it's doubtful his defense expertise would make a bit of difference, given the inevitable small sample size. Especially when you factor in he's now a crappy hitter. Oh well. He's on the team come Opening Day and nothing will change that.

I don't see how Rottino makes it as a 2nd catcher. It has to be as a 3rd catcher/utility guy. And there isn't room on the bench for that kind of guy, unless as noted above, Dillon doesn't make the team. There's no way Ned would play his 2nd catcher at say, 3rd base. He always wants a catcher on the bench.. He seems to live in fear of running out catchers.

There's no way Ned would play his 2nd catcher at say, 3rd base.
Ned did say a few days ago, that he wouldn't have a problem starting his backup catcher at 1B because he could get moved to catcher if something happened to Kendall.

it doenst really make sense to keep rottino. Jim Powell was saying on the radio this past weekend that Kendall expects to start 140+ games this year. Doesnt leave much pt for the backup. I would rather see Rottino get a chance to actually play down in AAA.

Coudn't Bill Hall be the backup SS if needed? I really dont see Counsell getting let go, but if they wanted to move in that direction they could keep Rottino here as a 3rd C and utility guy?

I really hope that Rottino makes the team as the backup catcher, I like his bat the most, and from what I hear he has improved tremendously behind the plate. In my mind I think he has the most upside, and is probably just as good or better already than Munson or Rivera. He also seems like the type of player that would benefit a ton from learning the ropes from guys like Kendall, Simmons and Yost.

I also think a lot of fans think the only reason he is being considered is because he is a local kid, which is totally untrue. He has been a good player in the minors, and has always exceeded expectations.

I can't imagine it not being Munson.

Munson certainly seems to have an advantage over Rivera. (While Rivera has had pretty good success with the Brewers - his minor league numbers are not very impressive. And he doesn't do much defensively) In addition, Munson is LH.

So to me, the only other choice would be Munson or Rottino. Since neither are likely to play much (Fingers crossed), I think you send Rottino back down to AAA to get regular work and keep Munson at MLB. There isn't enough of a difference between the two not to send Rottino down.

I'm actually comfortable with any of those three names as our backup catcher. Rivera has proven to be an adequate backup with occasional power. Munson shows similar abilities and gives you a lefthanded bat. Rottino adds versatility. All three of them are likely to see time in a Brewers uniform over the course of the 162 game season.

Based on what I've read, they aren't really looking at someone to play 40% of the time, as in years past. The guy that breaks camp this year is probably more dependent on the perceived roles and abilities of the other guys on the bench. The 25th name on the roster is usually either a designated speed guy (Trent Durrington) or an all or nothing power threat (Bob Hamelin). I'll guess that Munson breaks camp with the team, but that Rottino becomes a long term option by the all star break.

Another vote for Munson.

Jim Powell was saying on the radio this past weekend that Kendall expects to start 140+ games this year. Doesnt leave much pt for the backup.

Jason Kendall's 33-y-o knees started crying when they heard this announcement - video on YouTube. I think Jason's being a tad over-zealous... but then again, if he can actually start 140 games, I'm sure the Brewers would gladly take it, as long as it means an OBP greater than .330 from Jason.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Another vote for Munson.

Jim Powell was saying on the radio this past weekend that Kendall expects to start 140+ games this year. Doesnt leave much pt for the backup.

Jason Kendall's 33-y-o knees started crying when they heard this announcement - video on YouTube. I think Jason's being a tad over-zealous... but then again, if he can actually start 140 games, I'm sure the Brewers would gladly take it, as long as it means an OBP greater than .330 from Jason.

He has started 140+ games a year since 2000 except for last year when he started 137 (I imagine that a game or two was lost with the trade). I don't really think that he is necessary being over-zealous saying that he could start 140+ considering he has done it the last 6 out of 7 years.

I think offensive shouldnt really be that much of a factor for the backup spot since an improve defense seems to be the goal of the Brewers this year, and we certainly don't need anymore power. It would be nice to see a catcher that can throw out a runner in Milwaukee though.

I don't really think that he is necessary being over-zealous saying that he could start 140+ considering he has done it the last 6 out of 7 years.

Yea, true - I guess I'm just not acclimated yet to the concept of a C that doesn't need every 4th game off. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Even if Counsell is a tremendous defensive ss, which I doubt at this stage of his career, it's doubtful his defense expertise would make a bit of difference, given the inevitable small sample size.

I think the problem is if Hardy goes down with an injury that puts the Brewers in a bind unless they're ready to call up Escobar sometime in 2008. I don't think Rottino's versatility will help him out to much in the bigs because Counsell is there.

I'd go with Munson. I don't think Rivera did anything in Nashville to impress the Brewers and I was kind of disappointed in his overall performance in AAA last year.

I'll be the statisitcal outlier here and say Rottino. Like finishing a logic puzzle, I vote Rottino based on why it won't be Munson or Rivera, and the intangibles his Yostiness brings to the table.

1. Either Saturday or Sunday Powell was saying how Management expected Rivera to go to AAA last year after getting a pretty good look at the majors in 06 and mash the ball a little bit more. I think if the powers that be are letting things like that float to the press, they aren't crazy about him. That and I think his defensive abilities could best be described as "meh". We have already had a light hitting catcher with shaky D; his name rhymed with "Crab Bowler".

2. I don't think Doug lets Ned take a lefthanded backup catcher. Doug knows Ned's proclivity to go lefty-righty platoon in certain places, and having a lefty catcher may be too tempting. Not wanting to irritate Kendall, the 'Stache puts the kybosh on that idea.

3. Rottino has that gritty battler thing that Yost loves. Plus he knows he can start him at 1B and move him to C if need be. Rottino has earned a shot; the local thing is just icing on the cake. Besides, Yost knows he can always have Simmons go in http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Counsell was actually one of the best defensive players in the game last year statistically.

Maybe his stance changes will let him hit .250.

Now I have seen it all. Ennder is looking at BA, not OBP.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think if Hardy goes down with an extended injury that have to move Hall to ss. I know we are supposed to be sensitive to Hall's feelings, but anyone else at ss would seriously damage the team.

Then who would we put at 3b?

Archived