Brewer Fanatic

Capuano to the Red Sox?

I used to share that same sentiment, trwi7, but this blog was spot-on on some deals this offseason. I'd take it only with a very small grain of salt. Interesting to hear this update - thanks, Jarjohm.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would love this if we could get minor league pitching with it. It opens the door for Parra to be in the rotation where he has shown he can be. Sheets, Yo, Soup, Parra, and Villy, with Bush as the long man look good to me. Zach Jack is also in the minors for a spot start if needed.

Let's remember, the Brewers are in somewhat of a bind, so clearing a pitcher making upwards of $3 million, be it Capuano or Vargas, is not going to get much in return other than some salary relief. I can understand the Red Sox interest though. Without Schilling, the are relying on youngsters Lester and Bucholz. Those are two talented guys, but both have struggled this spring.

Boston will send some minor leaguer back but not a top prospect. What are the chances Melvin would strike gold like he did in the Wayne Franklin deal for Villanueva?

Let's remember, the Brewers are in somewhat of a bind

Not enough of one to get dirt thrown at us for legitimate SPs, though. I think the first wave of offers might be low-ball, but Doug isn't going to just give guys away.

Boston will send some minor leaguer back but not a top prospect. What are the chances Melvin would strike gold like he did in the Wayne Franklin deal for Villanueva?

capuano, bush, and vargas are all much more accomplished than franklin.

I used to share that same sentiment, trwi7, but this blog was spot-on on some deals this offseason. I'd take it only with a very small grain of salt. Interesting to hear this update - thanks, Jarjohm.

I agree. It used to be some guy doing it on "the side", but he wound up making it a full-time career move. And if you watch the site, he does actually have some good contacts. Now, a lot of them are beat writers around the country, but that's where you can get a lot of accurate stuff. I give the site a pretty high rating.

I can't imagine the Sox giving up much. There are still free agent options available (Lohse & Weaver).

While those aren't great options, they might be enough to hold them over until they get a healthy rotation together. And lets face it, the Red Sox would rather pay a free agent than give up a prospect.

in the coco crisp thread it was pointed out the Cubs offered the Sox marquis for Crisp and the Sox turned them down. this obviously points out that the red Sox are looking for another starting pitcher. I doubt the brewers would want coco Crisp. I would think that Capuano would be more appealing than marquis. With Capuano available, that could be the reason the red Sox turned down the Cubs offer.

Would the brewers trade Cappy for another veteran player making the same amount of money such as Crede? Would they trade him for a veteran making more money that would be an upgrade at a Position such as a Rolen or Roberts or Crawford? or would they want medium level prospects? Looking at the brewers' current payroll, I can't see them wanting to take on additional payroll. I doubt they want to stay at the current level. that would suggest to me that melvin is looking for a deal to trade Capuano or bush or vargus for a prospect such as catchers teagarden or Montura (SP) dbacks..

Melvin says the Red Sox have not contacted the Brewers about Capuano, but admitted calling teams about the pitching the Brewers will have available:

Open for business: General manager Doug Melvin shot down an Internet rumor that had Boston showing interest in left-hander Chris Capuano.

"I haven't talked to them," Melvin said.

Melvin did say he had informed some clubs possibly looking for pitching that he might have a starter to trade by the end of camp.

"We've called a few clubs and said we're getting some pretty good pitching here, and we may have extra pitchers that might be available," Melvin said. "They can figure it out."

Let's remember, the Brewers are in somewhat of a bind, so clearing a pitcher making upwards of $3 million, be it Capuano or Vargas, is not going to get much in return other than some salary relief.

The Brewers are NOT in a "bind" no matter how much you think they are. Having too much starting pitching is simply not a bad thing, and having a guy like Capuano, bad year and all, isn't a burden. You could put him through waivers and he'd get claimed by probably 10 teams. There is no bind to speak of, and nobody thinks we're getting a package of Ellsbury and Bucholz.

I agree 100%. Lets not forget guys, Capuano, Bush, Gross, Gwynn all have options left. Doug knows this and is not just going to give guys away cuz he has a surplus. You've gotta save these guys for a rainy day

Agreed, but as soon as you send one of these guys down, or cast them into the bullpen, then you devalue them and can expect even less in return. As a general manager I don't want a team that 's barely over .500's excess pitching. It can't be that good.

I agree 100%. Lets not forget guys, Capuano, Bush, Gross, Gwynn all have options left. Doug knows this and is not just going to give guys away cuz he has a surplus. You've gotta save these guys for a rainy day
Cappy and Bush would have to pass through waivers to go down.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Correct - and if Cappy or Bush would be claimed by a team (either one would easily be claimed by several teams), the Brewers would have to revoke the option and keep them on their 25-man roster for the rest of the year to keep from losing them and getting nothing in return.

So, their situation really doesn't leave them with minor league options. The only thing the Brewers can do to clean up their roster logjam of starting pitchers is to trade a couple of them (at least one before the season, and probably another one once Gallardo is making regular starts).

I hate to beat this issue back and forth, but I do NOT believe they would be exposed to other teams. They have a regular option left and could be sent to AAA without being exposed. Now, it's highly unusual for someone making $3m/year to be playing at AAA, but it can be done if they have options left. So it is a possibility to send Cappy down to keep additional pitching depth.

Moneyball - there's some rule specification if you've been in MLB for X amount of time that you have to be exposed to waivers to be optioned down - even if you have options left.

FTC has it right, iirc:

"if Cappy or Bush would be claimed by a team (either one would easily be claimed by several teams), the Brewers would have to revoke the option and keep them on their 25-man roster for the rest of the year to keep from losing them and getting nothing in return"

As noted, it's not just unusual to option veteran players...it's often not possible. Players with a lot of experience can veto optional assignments...Capuano, Vargas, and Bush all fall short of the service time requirements but they are close (Vargas with 4 years / 157 days is closest to the 5 years.) Players with more than 3 years service time (including Capuano and Bush as well as Vargas) must be exposed to revocable waivers. If a claim is placed, the waivers can be revoked, but as I understand it, that would prevent the optional assignment...and often be the precursor to a trade.

See the sections in this transactions glossary on Options and Waivers:

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2003/01/transactions-glossary.html

Additionally, a player with 5 years of Major League service may not be sent to the minor leagues on an optional assignment without his consent.

And

* Optional waivers. Optional major league waivers are required when optioning a player who has options remaining but who is more than three calendar years removed from his first appearance on a Major League roster. Because optional waivers are revocable, players usually clear in this scenario.

Archived