Brewer Fanatic

How are we going to figure this rotation out?

adambr2

If I had to handicap it right now, they start the season with Capuano in the bullpen (there's room if they go with 13 pitchers) where he will get a chance to get his stuff back in non pressure situations. I still think Vargas will be traded. The trade of Vargas will be merely a salary dump/roster clearing move, and they will just get back a low level prospect. There are teams out there looking for 5th starters, but they know the Brewers will be a bind roster wise toward the end of spring so they know they won't have to give up much.

That means they start the season with Sheets, Suppan, Villanueva, Bush and Parra in the rotation. Gallardo will replace the weakest performer among Villanueva, Bush, or Parra. If he replaces Parra or Villanueva, they will option that guy out. If he replaces Bush, Bush could end up in pen with Capuano. If all 3 among Bush, Parra, and Villanueva are pitching lights out, they will take a little more time with Gallardo and let him make some rehab starts.

I also would not rule out the possibility of a reliever being dealt to clear some room if starters are sent to the pen.

Archived