Brewer Fanatic

Why not the Devil Rays?

Doesn't Tampa make the most sense for 2-3 of our starters (Bush, Capuano, Vargas)? They are loaded in the minors and obviously need pitching. Plus they play in the AL so little chance of the players coming back and burning us. I would keep one of the 3 above but trade the others and we still would have pitching depth.

I would think with the pipeline of pithing prospect the Rays have, that trading for one of our starters (let alone two) would be counterproductive. The teams that we should target with our pitchers are teams that are in "win-now" mode and have no better alternative for the next two years. The Rays are most likely hoping to sink or swim with their position players this year, and next year do the same with their pitching prospects, though I could see Wade McGee and David Price getting call-ups this year. They do have the best supply of prospects in baseball, but the only deal I could see them swinging for on our team would be for the Regal One, though that would be a crazy hypothesis on what bevy of prospects would be enough to secure his Royal Highness.

In addition to Price, they also have Jacob McGee & Wade Davis, they just got Garza and they have Kazmir & Shields, I would say in the next 1-2 years their rotation will be very effective (barring injuries of course). I believe they have Jeff Niemann in their organization as well, oh yeah they also have the #1 overall pick this year!!!

GO BREW

I guess I just look at it as they could bring some experience to help the kids out and with the AL East you need a deep staff... Cappy / Bush would be a good bridge for them to get to the young kids. Also the Brewers would probably be willing to take lower level prospects than other teams..

In two years or so the Rays are going to have some amazing pitching. Kazmir, Shields, Price, and 2 of Garza/Davis/McGee/Niemann with the other two helping out in the bullpen. That's nice. Very nice. I can see them turning it around and having a good run in a few years. They have some nice positional talent. Add to that the pitching talent and possibly Alvarez's bat and you could have something good happening in Tampa.

The Rays will be fine in 2009. But, they also need guys to pitch in April and May 2008.

I suspect that they'll stand pat with Edwin Jackson and Andy Sonnanstine holding down the 4th and 5th slots in the rotation to start the year, with Price coming up in a couple of months. Considering that Jackson really hasn't done anything, a reasonably priced veteran that can eat some innings and be flipped at the deadline might be attractive. And guys that don't appear to fit into their future plans like John Jaso and Fernando Perez might be of interest. Or not, it really depends on how aggressive the Rays want to be this year.

Robert

Archived