Brewer Fanatic

Minor Leaguers in Brewer Spring Training Games

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Actual minor league spring training games against other organizations begin March 15th.

Minor league camp officially began this past weekend, but obviously some players have been "ready to go" in terms of participating in Brewer big league camp games when needed. With only 46 players now in big league camp, a day like Sunday (split-squad games) saw some interesting names in the box scores.

First, kudos to Cole Gillespie for his three-run HR vs. A's southpaw Dan Meyer!

Erik Miller is a 20-year-old outfielder who singled and struck out in two AB's in Maryvale Sunday. He only played rookie ball in Maryvale last summer.

18-year-old Edgar Trejo is an infielder (third base mainly at this time) who got a late bump from Maryvale to Helena in 2007. The Venezuelan prospect was 0-for-2 with a K vs. the A's Sunday.

Stephen Chapman singled in a pinch-hit appearance Sunday. Michael Brantley, Lorenzo Cain and Steve Sollmann were each 1-for-1 with singles as well - nice!

Chris Errecart, Mel Stocker, Ned Yost IV, Charlie Fermaint, and Mat Gamel were the other non-big league camp position players to see action Sunday.

On the mound, AAA lefty Erasmo Ramirez had a better stint on Sunday; Sam Narron (one run allowed) and Lindsay Gulin (got the save) threw against the A's Sunday.

Earlier in the week, Jason Shiell (two scoreless appearances) threw, as did Steve Hammond, Josh Wahpepah, and Robert Hinton, who all struggled the first time out.

We'll trry to continue to mention the players not on the 40-man roster who are also not big league camp invites in this thread.

Link to Brewer spring training stats

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Is it still too early to be excited about Chris Narveson?
yes. how many times has the guy been released? He's not Steve Carlton.

One.

Just because he's been with several organizations, doesn't mean he's been released. Only his final outright by the Cardinals could be considered as such...

Drafted - Selected by St. Louis Cardinals in 2nd Round (53rd overall) of 2000 amateur entry draft (June-Reg) Jun 27,2000 - signed Aug 11,2004 - Claimed on waivers by Rockies from Cardinals Mar 30,2005 - Traded by Rockies with cash to Red Sox for Byung-Hyun Kim. Aug 9,2005 - Claimed off waivers by Cardinals from Red Sox

Why did the question require a reference to one of the best 2-3 southpaws of all time?

The kid's 26; yes, you can be cautiously optimistic he could be a future contributor -- how's that?

I am not saying he is a legitimate prospect - but he certainly seems to fall in line with Zack Jackson.

Maybe you never want him as a top #5 starter, but he certainly seems like he might become a decent #6 or a long man. (ala Helling)

Is it still too early to be excited about Chris Narveson?
yes. how many times has the guy been released? He's not Steve Carlton.

One.

Just because he's been with several organizations, doesn't mean he's been released. Only his final outright by the Cardinals could be considered as such...

Drafted - Selected by St. Louis Cardinals in 2nd Round (53rd overall) of 2000 amateur entry draft (June-Reg) Jun 27,2000 - signed Aug 11,2004 - Claimed on waivers by Rockies from Cardinals Mar 30,2005 - Traded by Rockies with cash to Red Sox for Byung-Hyun Kim. Aug 9,2005 - Claimed off waivers by Cardinals from Red Sox

Why did the question require a reference to one of the best 2-3 southpaws of all time?

The kid's 26; yes, you can be cautiously optimistic he could be a future contributor -- how's that?

You list two times he was waived (2004 and 2005). And, what, the brewers signed him as a MiL free-agent? Is there ANY chance he will be on the 25 man roster this year? I doubt it. If he ever produces for the brewers, it's a long-shot. Nothing wrong about giving him a chance, but no real reason to get excited after about 5 innings or so in ST. Are you saying you are EXCITED about him?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Not sure about the need for the long quote, since your comments alone would have pushed along the conversation nicely. We're trying to make that point everywhere within our forums, but I'll get off that soapbox for now.

I'm pretty sure that teams place guys on waivers hoping to sneak them through occasionally, and in two instances, other organizations were willing to snap him up.

Are you saying you are EXCITED about him?

No, I stand by my original statement -- "yes, you can be cautiously optimistic he could be a future contributor".

I think the first waiver claim was a matter of formality, because if I recall correctly, he was one of the PTBNL in the Larry Walker trade. So in essence he was claimed as part of the trade. Then traded, then was allowed back to the Cards. So this was his first real, outright release from an organization.

But yes, it's too early to get excited about him. I suspect July/August is the time when we can get excited about spring training studs. If they're still around and doing well mid-season, then it's for real. But there have been plenty of guys putting up MVP/Cy Young numbers in spring training, only to find the level of competition much greater once April rolls around.

He's only 26. That's still young enough for him to have a major league future if he puts up numbers in AAA. It might not be here, but who knows. For now he's around 9th on the starter depth chart. Not likely to be a factor this year but stranger things have happened.

Narveson had another good outing.

I know everyone harps on his sample size. (Which is certainly an apt criticism)

But aren't 12 innings against MLB players a better indication than 50 innings against AAA players?

(I am obviously aware that some of his opponents have started AAA players - but he faced a Oakland team that was almost exclusively starters)

Either way, he certainly seems like he is going to help Nashville.

Someone needs a scholarship to charm school I think.

Narveson is a former top prospect who had injury problems, including TJS. He went from St. Louis to the Rockies in the Larry Walker deal in late 2004, as noted above, so that 'waiver' doesn't indicate he was a non-prospect being dumped...in fact he was the top lefty in the Cardinal system at the time and the key player in the Walker trade. (Less key was Luis Martinez, I guess...remember him?)

Should we start penciling him in the rotation in the near future? Not in my opinion, no. Is he a 'prospect' any more? Not in the way most people use the word. Is he a possible contributor down the road? That remains to be seen, but he's got more going for him than some of the flashes one sees in the Arizona sun. (I'm mighty glad we're no longer in the situation where a few spring training successes will give a guy a ticket to Milwaukee in April. Ben Ford and Adrian Hernandez come to mind.)

Nice day by Brendan Katin. 3 for 6 with 2 doubles, a home run, 6 RBIs, and 3 runs scored. He could have a big year in AAA. Hopefully, he can cut down on the K's and raise his average a bit. There's no denying his power.

I've always thought that Katin reminded me of somewhat of a Rob Deer/Jay Buhner typer. Well, today (I was there), he crushed the ball. Despite relatively strong winds, he his a 430 foot homer, two doubles off the wall, and a flyout to the track. Not a bad day.

Oh yeah, and Darren Ford's single was on a routine 3 hop-chopper to shortstop. Man he's fast!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

In Peoria vs. the Mariners in a 17-3 rout for the good guys:

Brendan Katin with a monster six-RBI game with three extra-base hits; Darren Ford 2-for-2; Michael Brantley, Mike Bell, Steffan Wilson and Matt Cline each with a base hit (Wilson and Cline doubled); Guilder Rodriguez (right field) and Martin Maldonado (catcher) also saw action -- box score details at the link.

As noted, the two non-roster invite pitchers, Chris Narveson and Steve Bray, excelled Monday.

In Maryvale vs. the White Sox in a 4-4 tie game:

Cole Gillespie doubled, Mat Gamel, Charlie Fermaint, Stephen Chapman, Lorenzo Cain, and Zelous Wheeler got AB's, but weren't as successful as the gang against the Mariners -- again, box score at link.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Is matt cline a prospect? someone needs to feed the boy if he's really 5'10" and 155. He did ok in Helena last year, but basically has no power.

This year's media guide lists Cline at 5'10", 175, and I've updated the Player Index page. I'm going to do that for all the kids over the next month or so...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Box Score:

Adam Heether (double), Guilder Rodriguez (walk), Chris Errecart (single), Matt Cline, Lorenzo Cain, and Brendan Katin saw action Tuesday, as did newcomer RHP Thomas Atlee (one out behind Jeff Suppan, charged with a wild pitch, but Bill Schroeder sure put the blame on Vinny Rottino (in the dirt).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

22-year-old infielder Matt Cline (Helena in 2007) got himself another at-bat Saturday, doubled and scored the Brewers only run.

Cole Gillespie 0-for-1.

Chris Narveson roughed up for the first time this spring, althogh technically he's outside the parameters of this thread as a non-roster big league camp invitee.

Archived