Brewer Fanatic

Coco Crisp going to the Cubs?

What type of package could the Cubs conjure up to sway the Red Sox into such a deal? I could see a "Howry/Cedeno/Ceda" package, but that's more than they would have to give up for Brian Roberts, which they have thus far balked at. I just don't think they're a good fit. But if the Cubs did get Coco, that would be a very good outfield defensively, and I have NO respect for Soriano and his assist numbers.

crisp is a 4th outfielder at best...

i would assume if he is going to the cubs, that it's for murton and a reliever...

the cubs don't need him at all...but i'm totally fine with them sticking a all d, no hit guy in the lineup over a potential star in pie

The reasoning behind the Cubs interest is that they have a ton of money invested in this team and they might not want to risk that investment by having an unproven Pie in CF. I've also read some reports that Pie has been swinging for the fences this spring and not making consistent contact like they want him too.

While Crisp is no world beater, he's less of a risk than Pie offensively while still providing excellent defense in CF.

They could be dangling Murton, or Marquis. Marquis makes some sense for Boston who is low on starter depth with Schilling down.

Crisp is probably the best defensive CF in the game and has been a starter for the last several years...calling him a 4th OF is simply incorrect.

That said, the Cubs have no use for him, they have Pie who is only missing the opportunity.

called him that because he's behind manny, drew, and ellsbury and had a .710 ops last year with a .300 obp...

in chicago, he'd be behind kosuke, soriano, and pie (i assume)...

so while he may not be a typical 4th outfielder, that is basically his role...on his current team and his proposed team...

called him that because he's behind manny, drew, and ellsbury and had a .710 ops last year with a .300 obp...

His OBP last year was .330. Not great, but also not nearly as bad as you're suggesting.

He's also started at least 139 games 4 of the last 5 years with the only year he didn't, he was out with an injury. So while he may not be a starter for the Red Sox, calling a guy a 4th OF'er is saying that he's not good enough to be a starter. You're also making a leap in assuming that he wouldn't start in front of Pie who looked just bad last year in Chicago.

I had read today the Cubs are looking for a right handed bat to platoon with Pie. this was from KFFL. Coco Crisp would fill that description.

I also read today that Dempster and Marquis are battling it out for the 5th starter spot. if marquis wins, Dempster goes back to being the closer making a Cubs reliever like Howry or Marmol available to trade. if Dempster wins, then Marquis becomes available. I doubt the Cubs view marquis in a long reliever role.

With Schilling down for the count, and buckholze and beckett with nagging injuries, it would appear that the red Sox may be looking for insurance and a 5th starter. I don't believe brewers fans want to know how great bartolo colon is doing. he is doing so well that he may even start the season as boston's third or 4th starter. I still can't believe the brewers didn't take a chance in him. Wakefield is also doing well.

I could see Crisp for marquis or marmol or howry. Throw in Murtin who becomes boston's 4th outfielder.

"I could see Crisp for marquis or marmol or howry".

It was reported today that Boston turned down Marquis, probably because the Cubs didn't want to pay some of his salary.

No way they deal Marmol or Howry for Crisp. Marmol is untouchable and they aren't getting rid of their current closer (Howry). If they were to deal a reliever, it would be Michael Wuertz. Wuertz is somewhat of a luxury for Cubs, but is really quite good. In fact few realize that Wuertz was among the league leaders in runners stranded percentage by relievers in 07.

Adding Crisp would be a solid fit for CHC. The idea of Pie facing RHP & Crisp LHP seems alright... plus then you have another plus OF defender so you can remove the human liability from LF in late innings with a lead.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

In fact few realize that Wuertz was among the league leaders in runners stranded percentage by relievers in 07.

But is that a skill, or just luck? It may be somewhat skill, but I'll bet he regresses back to the mean next season and doesn't look quite as good. Now's a good time to trade him.

I can see where the Cubs would offer Marquis. Both marquis and Dempster are fighting for the 5th starter spot. The y both looked good in their last Spring start. the Cubs GM was on the Rome show today. it would appear that Dempster is a very popular clubhouse guy and prankster. So it would be my guess that Dempster would not be traded. But if marquis is given the 5th starter spot, and Dempster goes back to closing, i could see howry being somebody the Cubs might offer up. let's face it, the cubs have to offer somebody to get Coco. maybe Derosa!

I could easily see the Cubs acquiring Roberts and then trading Derosa for Crisp..

Archived