Brewer Fanatic

Cure for a Bad Case of the DTs?

Sorry to hijack an already-compelling thread, but I'm taking this riff in an entirely different direction, so please bear with me, as I dream up one of my 1/2-assed ideas here...

"Marmol's stat line doesn't look much different than Turnbows in 05 did. "

No argument on this point....Except that Turnbow, circa 2005 is not what Turnbow is now. Hell, Marmol's stat line doesn't look much different than Justin Duchscherer's from that seaon. The Derrick Turnbow from 3 years ago was awesome. Migod, I wish we still had that guy around. Nowadays? It's like he's not the same person. No confidence, no "aura" of shut-em-down, dangerous 100-MPH killer. In 2008, he may as well be...ummm....Justin Duchscherer.

This is what I planned on posting for my reply, but after reviewing it, the kernel of an idea hit me.

Since Oakland is committing to moving former-All-Star-reliever-who's-lost-his-way, Justin Duchscherer to the rotation, could that eventually be a solution to at least entertain here in Milwaukee, for Turnbow?

OK, OK, I know that we already have about 15 back-of-the-rotation starting pitchers with ERAs as bad as, and worse than Derrick's, here already. And perhaps Turnbow can't/won't adapt to starting. But as we know, if Turnbow enters an inning with men on base, or worse yet, in scoring position, we're screwed. His OPS-against is nearly double, whenever he's plopped into stressful situations not of his own making.

But what about when he opens an inning, as a SP would?

DT's OPS-against with the bases empty, like Duchscherer's, is incredibly better. The Great Billy Beane seems committed to trying this. I also understand that this idea comes too late in Spring Training to occur this year. But what if we still have Turnbow around next season, after he still struggles in '08 when entering an inning to clean up the chocolate mess that the last pitcher left for him? Or maybe we can "audition" DT as a potential SP next spring, and trade him, re-packaged as such?

Just a thought...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Duke was a starter virtually his entire minor league career, and a good one at the upper levels, because he has multiple pitches. I think moving him to the rotation is a pretty good idea. It's possibly the only option for him right now, too, since I don't think his arm can handle the lack of rest that comes with relieving anymore. Also, he's never imploded like Turnbow. He got injured. Otherwise he was still an all-star caliber reliver.

I don't think Turnbow would be as good of an idea.

All the Brewers need is to make sure Ned's not bringing TBow in with runners aboard. There are enough solid options in that bullpen that Ned doesn't have any more excuses for bringing Derrick in with anything aside from 0 baserunners.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived