Brewer Fanatic

April Centerfield

sbrylski

Have we gotten any indication from Yost or the club on who will be considered the starter through April? One would think that Gross would be the main guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gwynn roaming centerfield for 20 games and hitting 2nd.

I don't mean to start a Gwynn v Gross debate thread, I'm just looking for thoughts on what they will do, not what they should do.

Sounds like he'll use the last few weeks in ST to figure out who will fill in for Cameron. It depends on who makes the bench (Kapler's playing good so far), because we could either use TGJ in center, or shift Hart to Center and have Kapler/Gross combo man right field.

For now, who knows?

I would think they might consider or end up with Gross/Dillon, with Hart shifting to center on days Joe plays.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would tend to agree with casey. Gross/Dillon platoon looks good to me. I know you said not a Gross/Gwynn thread, but really, that's really the question isn't it?

Gross and Gwynn have about the same OBP, and Gross has some power.

Sounds like they are leaning towards a Kapler/Gross/TGJ platoon in CF for the most part. I think they will split the starts against righties about 50/50 between Gwynn and Gross. I am not even sure Dillon makes the roster.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The real question seems to be who plays against left handed pitching; neither Gross nor Gwynn would be a prime candidate to do that.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I would tend to agree with casey. Gross/Dillon platoon looks good to me. I know you said not a Gross/Gwynn thread, but really, that's really the question isn't it?

Gross and Gwynn have about the same OBP, and Gross has some power.

Frankly, if you're going to get the same OBP from each, I'd rather see Gwynn out there because of his defense, and the added element that his speed can bring. But I don't think that Gwynn's OBP will be equal to Gabe Gross.

On a recent JSOnline article, it had stated that Yost is leaning towards Gwynn due to his defense. My thoughts are that due to the amount of Unbelievable offense we have, Yost is going to go with a sure thing in CF--meaning defense. Gywnn has the leg up against righties and Kapler is looking at the front runner for lefties.

This is an excerpt from the Tom Haudricourt 3/5/08 article on JSOnline....

"We have left-right options and we'll use that to our advantage," Yost said.

With a focus on defense this spring, Yost indicated that Gwynn and Kapler might have a leg up on Gross.

I like it...Obviously if you give Gross some everyday experience...he's shown that he can produce offensively. Plus, he's not that bad of a defender. Gwynn however, is a stud out in CF and I truely believe that's more important in the first 25 games.

Gwynn will get most of the starts vs. righthanders. Kapler will start vs. lefthanders. Gross will get a start here and there, just enough to keep his bat sharp for his prime duty as a late inning pinch hitter. The real decision time is when Cameron comes back. Who goes then? The 13th pitcher, Kapler or Gwynn?

I can't believe they are still toying with a 13 man pitching staff. It's like they are afraid to make a decision (re: eat a contract). I suppose keeping Dillon sharp by playing everyday in Nashville is not the end of the world.

RyGuy,

I am pretty sure that your avitar is the exact same as the poster I had on my wall when I was 6 or 7. Good stuff.

I agree that Yost will over-vaule defense for CF, and thats not necessarily a bad thing. Plus, as has been said before, if Gwynn hits at all well, he may have some value to another team.

There was a quote by Yost saying that Gwynn and Kappler are good defenders, but Gross is still a work in progress, defensively. So that would seem to give the edge to a Gwynn/Kapler platoon, if defense is the deciding factor.

RyGuy,

I am pretty sure that your avitar is the exact same as the poster I had on my wall when I was 6 or 7. Good stuff.

I agree that Yost will over-vaule defense for CF, and thats not necessarily a bad thing. Plus, as has been said before, if Gwynn hits at all well, he may have some value to another team.

And your avatar is of one of the greatest shows ever made! That crew is whacked!

I did think Dillon had a great chance to make the team in the offseason, but seeing the way Kapler has been playing, I'm not so sure anymore.

Are you referring to Kapler's .748 OPS in 13 AB this spring?

Nah, I must have been dazzled by his 5 RBI's on 4 hits. I was a bit hammered when I typed that last night, so I didn't really check the stats. Neither guy has played enough to judge yet (Dillon with 10 whole at-bats).

Archived