Brewer Fanatic

07/22/07 Giants (Zito) @ Brewers (Vargas) 1:05pm CT

sgtcluels

Looks like no Woogie.

San Francisco Giants (41 - 54)

Barry Zito LHP (7 - 9, 4.67/1.41)

http://www.pabaon.com/sports/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/barry_zito.jpg

Zito ended a six-start winless stretch by defeating the Cubs, 4-2, at Wrigley Field on Tuesday. In seven innings, Zito not only struck out a season-high eight but also walked none, ending a 37-start stretch in which he had issued at least one free pass. During Zito's rocky first season with the Giants, he has tended to avoid challenging hitters, which gets him into trouble. When he commands the inner half of home plate, it doesn't matter how soft he throws -- he succeeds in keeping opponents off-balance.

@

Milwaukee Brewers (54 - 43)

Claudio Vargas RHP (7-2, 4.47/1.50)

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2007/03/21/u5Lsvu9T.jpg

Vargas has won four of his last five decisions and is 5-0 in nine starts at Miller Park -- including a June 20 win over the Giants. With the loss of Ben Sheets to injury, Vargas and the rest of the rotation need to start pitching deeper into games. Vargas has not pitched more than six innings in any of his starts this season and has been limited to five innings in three of his last four starts. That means extra work for a bullpen that could use a break.

Radio: 620 WTMJ.

TV: FSN (642 DTV, 31 TWC Mke), FSN-HD

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mench also means a .983 OPS since June 1. Or a 1.065 OPS since June 20. Or a 1.371 OPS since the All-Star Break.

Or you can have Jenkins and his .677 OPS since June 1. Or a 0.623 OPS since June 20. Or a 0.609 OPS since the All-Star Break.

So, in short, I'd actually rather have Mench out there right now.

has Rickie done anything lately to warrant a move back to the lead off spot? Granted, nobody's really done much of anything lately, maybe Yost is just trying to shake things up.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

yep, I agree that Week's "deserves" a trip back to the top of the lineup. He's been more selective at the plate and actually, *gulp*, hit one hard the other day.

Not to mention that Corey Hart appears to be pressing since his hit streak ended.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm glad to see Weeks in the lineup, but the thing is - if he rakes before Hall comes back (if they face more LHP's, I haven't looked at the matchups for the Cincy series), would he be able to stop his benching before it ever really started? What was the point of Ned even going public with him benching him?

Good to see Weeks back at the top, we haven't been scoring much and need something to change, even if just for a game or two. I still think Rickie will have a big impact coming down the stretch.

Vargas, pound that meat and please continue to be our lucky charm.

Still like Hart over Weeks at the top. Granted Hart has been struggling, but man what has Weeks been doing then? Both have looked bad lately but Weeks has been swinging at EVERYTHING and striking out on some absolutely brutal pitches.

Okay, bucksman.

Since July 7, when Hart hitting streak ended, he's had a 0.222 OBP; since then, Weeks has had a 0.381 OBP.

Since June 18, when Weeks came back from his injury, he's had a 0.300 OBP; Hart hasn't exactly been stellar either with a 0.320 OBP.

It's not like Hart has been that much better than Weeks; and considering how dismal this offense has looked lately, I can't really blame Ned for going with the hot hand right now.

Here's my 2 cents for today:

It sucks for the fans they we come out and sell out MP for the entire weekend series and they lose the first 2. A sweep would be just horrible with so many people out for all these games and a lot of excitement going to get beat like this. They need a W today for the fans that have showed the support this weekend and haven't been rewarded with a win.

They beat up Zito pretty good last time... hopefully a big day for the bats on this beautiful day.

While Ned confuses me with what he says and what he actually does, it doesn't really bother me to see Rickie in the leadoff spot.

His average isn't getting any better, at all really, but his OBP, like always is pretty solid. Taking his walks, which is more than Corey can say right now.

No harm in shaking it up a bit today, but I'm just confused with Ned's mixed messages about Rickie not playing so much for a while, then moving him to leadoff.

But again, had he not said that in the first place I still think Rickie getting another shot at leadoff maybe to get something going isn't a bad idea.

Archived