Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee to move Spring Operations to Florida? (Melvin denies)

Verified Member
Patrick, I went ahead and I clicked on the link you provided. I then found a link to contact the editors of the site to ask them about the Milwaukee Brewers and moving. I was then directed to check out another one of their sites baseball digest which had reported what madtown has reported and even in a little more detail saying they met extra longer with Vero Beach officials. And they confirmed that the Brewers have an out in their lease with the City of Phoenix that they can move in 2010.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Patrick, I went ahead and I clicked on the link you provided. I then found a link to contact the editors of the site to ask them about the Milwaukee Brewers and moving. I was then directed to check out another one of their sites baseball digest which had reported what madtown has reported and even in a little more detail saying they met extra longer with Vero Beach officials. And they confirmed that the Brewers have an out in their lease with the City of Phoenix that they can move in 2010.
Would it be asking to much to provide a link?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Would it be asking to much to provide a link?

link There ya go... it is the 6th story down (Fort Myers newspaper: Don't go nuts to keep Red Sox)

Here is what it says about the Brewers:

However, another team besides the Baltimore Orioles has been identified making the rounds of Florida cities: as we reported earlier, the Milwaukee Brewers are indeed looking at a spring shift to Florida and met with officials in several communities (including Vero Beach and Lee County communities) to get the lay of the land.

Awesome!! I was wrong, you guys were right. That's all I wanted. Some sort of published report other than "a friend of mine said". Whew...glad that's over.

Now I'm ticked at the Journal/Sentinel for not mentioning this at all (unless I missed it, but I get the paper edition every day and usually scour the Brewers news). I don't think it's a small insignificant story. There were obviously many people in this thread who were interested. My family goes every year, so I have a deep interest in this. More and more people every year seem to be making their way down to Spring Training from Milwaukee. So, there are plenty of people that I'm sure would be interested in knowing about this. JS, Hardricourt, whoever, needs to get their act together on this story.

If the Brewers are trying to keep low key about this, then that upsets me as well. To me it appears that most other teams are usually upfront with this type of information.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Don't be upset Patrick, it's a business matter and shouldn't be taken personally. That said, I've found NOT-USING the Milwaukee Journal Sent as the endall for my news sources as the best option. Some times published reports don't happen for a while and rightfully so in this case. I tend to find other news outlets because MJS is so slow in reporting, especially when the action is 1,200 miles away in hush hush type meetings. But I'm glad something could finally be published to ease your mind at the consipracy or rather lackthereof of Madtown and myself posts.

It was never a who's right and who's wrong sort of deal. I was just trying to pass along some information and I am just glad people now know I won't post stuff just to post stuff.

The thought of Vero Beach is nice in a way because having a whole town get into your ball club like they do in Vero Beach would be quite cool. I think there are many more pieces to fall before we find out exactly is going to happen. As little as we have heard from the folks in Auburndale have me thinking that something is happening because they were the most vocal about a team until Sarasota lost the Reds. I have no idea what Baltimore is thinking because according to a Sarasota news article that they would consider Fort Myers REGARDLESS of what the Red Sox do. Can a area like Fort Myers support 3 spring training sites? The Minnesota Twins could again be looking for a new home. Could the Twins head down to Vero Beach, or east to Auburndale? What will the Florida Marlins do? The only thing that has happened during this whole saga since my original post was the Houston Astros are getting the improvements they wanted.

But I now think there isn't going to be much until the Boston Red Sox decide what to do and according to the reports I am reading it could be the end of the month to 90 days. I do now know for a fact that the Brewers have an 100% clean break out clause after next spring training.

I think I have to agree with Vero Beach that nostalgia wise it has to be the top choice. For me though the whole point of moving to Florida is to make it more a family destination. Moving that far south and being on the East Coast kinda kills that arguement for me. I guess it is really close to Bevard County which is a plus.

Auburndale is ideal for me. Inbetween Tampa and Orlando. Close to a lot of places. Makes the perfect place to take the family.

I've been told that the Red Sox have told Sarasota officials they would given a decision on Friday May 30th. They are the prized bull and everything will revolve and fall into place based upon their decision.

I just received an email my buddy in Florida and I just wanted to share part of it.

I talked to several members of the Polk County and Indian River County Government in the past couple days and both feel that talks with the Milwaukee Brewers officials went well. Members of Polk County have already met with Milwaukee Brewers officials and Milwaukee City business leaders in early April and Indian River County officials plan on meeting with the same group at the end of May in Milwaukee. Talks were very productive with Vero Beach, Indian River County, and Milwaukee Brewers officials when the group toured the area May 5th. Personally with no inside information I think the Milwaukee Brewers prefer to be closer to the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area, which would still make Auburndale and Sarasota the top choices of the ballclub. Again like I said before the Boston Red Sox decision is going to prove to be a domino effect for numerous ballclubs.

Doing some research on the Vero Beach site, it is going to take a major renovation to attract a new ballclub there. If the Brewers were indeed interested I would expect there to be a multi-million dollar improvement plan put into works here soon. Holman Stadium for all its charm is really outdated and needs some severe improvements. I would expect that is why their government officials want to come talk to Milwaukee business leaders to see if they would be interested in helping if they could land the Brewers.

I heard from another poster who messaged me that Joe Attanasio has a winter home in Punta Gorda, Florida which is near Port Charlotte. I don't know if that would have any influence on anything.

I am looking forward to hearing something from the local press soon. I can't see Arizona going down without a fight. The Minnesota Twins, the Baltimore Orioles, the Florida Marlins, and the Milwaukee Brewers are all waiting for the Boston Red Sox to make a decision. Auburndale still is my personal choice if the Brewers are to leave Phoenix.

"Again like I said before the Boston Red Sox decision is going to prove to be a domino effect for numerous ballclubs."

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. It sounds like the Brewers might be pursuing this current location as a/the backup plan.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm still not sold on Vero Beach being the "greatest thing ever" for any team moving to Florida. It is so popular for, pretty much, one reason and one reason only--The Los Angeles Dodgers. I really have to think that if some other team moves in to that complex--whether it's the Orioles, Brewers, or whoever--that it will not be as wildly successful and popular as it was with the Dodgers. Most of the people that live in Vero Beach are probably Dodger fans (i.e. retired folks from either Brooklyn or Southern California) and probably will not be as interested in following and adopting another team. I just don't see it happening.

edit: I realize that no poster said "greatest thing ever." I'm just paraphrasing things a bit.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think my order of preference is Auburndale, Sarasota, Vero Beach, Bonita Springs/Ft Myers.

I wonder now what people think now that it has been confirmed the Brewers have atleast a thought of moving. If by reading this entire 9 pages if anybody has had a change of heart about moving or atleast wouldn't go crazy if they did. Would it make a difference if they would move, other then being on ESPN a few more times in the spring.

My order of preference would be ..stay in Phoenix!!

Anyways, I know I'm obsessing, but I was so irritated that the Journal/Sentinel has not mentioned any word of this, I sent an email to Hardricourt. I sent him the link to the ball park digest article and a link to this thread stating that I think there would be plenty of people interested in knowing that Brewer officials are actually touring facilities in Florida. This was the response I got (..and you think I was skeptical):

The Brewers have no plans to move to Florida that I know of. I believe they have four years remaining on their lease in Phoenix and with an LA owner, I can't see them moving to the East Coast.

TH

The Brewers have no plans to move to Florida that I know of. I believe they have four years remaining on their lease in Phoenix and with an LA owner, I can't see them moving to the East Coast.

TH

Wow, somebody needs to get with the program. I realize it's mid-season and there is plenty of baseball activities to write about, but then again, I've never been impressed with JSO when it comes to Brewer coverage. I realize he isn't going to write you more than a two line response, but that was pretty short-sighted to state two facts, one of which doesn't mention the out clause and the other because the owner lives in LA? Ay yi yi. Time for Witrado to get some more work.

That is basically the same response I have gotten from Haudicourt since I first heard of all this. I genuinely think that Haudicourt is good writer and I find him genuinely entertaining on the radio but I don't think he is even a little remotely interested in going deep into this. We have had several sources that have referenced the Brewers in moving from the Sarasota paper, the Tampa Tribune, ballpark digest, to people in the Sarasota government, to my friend in the state government. While it isn't popular to a lot of people the probablility of them moving is much higher then what it should be where Haudicourt shouldn't discount it or even dismiss it without looking into it more. Tom Haudicourt for better or for worse is pretty much the only person inside the scenes that can find out what is happening here.

To have one person say there is nothing to multiple people say there is something...believe what you want but I will go to my grave believing that this story is fake.

Verified Member
I agree about TH. The biggest statement there was "that I know of". I, like Patrick, want to get to the bottom of this and not worry about what un-named sources are saying, not that I don't believe madtown or the others but it puts much more buzz into it if it is a known source. I have emailed writers from the Tampa Tribune, to the Sarasota publication, and the small Lakeland/Auburndale/Winter Haven paper. I just don't think TH has any interest in following the story which is his choice I guess. I know one thing, no matter what side of the fence you sit on, if you dismiss this topic just because then you are making a huge mistake. I don't think so many people would be talking about this if it was just false.

Excellent question Team Canada, and one I am attempting to get an answer from. I have forwarded the article to my friend to get a response from him. I think I know what his answer will be but I will wait until.

The question I want answered is if the Brewers have had "no" contact with anybody in Florida, what is the motivation of my friend, the Sarasota papers who have quoted stadium and government officials saying they have talked to Brewers officials, and ballpark digest to make this up?

I will take Doug Melvin's word though, because he flat out said no, but I do so with the same grain of salt as Brett Favre retiring. If they truly decide to stay in Arizona great...if not great also.

Archived