Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee to move Spring Operations to Florida? (Melvin denies)

Let me start by saying Dodgertown is a great quaint location to take in a Spring Training game and Sarasota beaches are the best in the state in my opinion.
If I am Mark or Doug I would think they might be looking more at an open parcel to develop in the Orlando and Tampa areas. It is not only going to be spring training for the MLB club but a site for Rookie League team and Florida State League A+ team. You can also look at the small possibilty of making it the location for your Southern League AA team or International League AAA team in future years. Midwest Airlines alone has 3 flights a day to Orlando with only 2 1/2 hour flight times ( It probably sounds like I lobbying). I made the move 6 years ago with that being a big bonus to get back to the land of cheese easily. As a business move I am suprised more teams do not look at the Orlando area for their operations away from there home city. I would just as well ask Orange County and City of Orlando leaders to make seperate proposals to take on the Brewers as well.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've gotten so used to spring training in AZ where you can make it to every single game in less than an hour (except silly Tuscon, which isn't worth the trip). Knowing that it seems to be a good idea for the team, for me personally the thought of having to drive 5-6 hours to see a spring training game stinks. I'd probably consider not going to spring training anymore.

I'm not a fan of moving at all, and probably wouldn't want to go anymore. Like was mentioned, the fact that all the parks are within a couple hrs drive is awesome. Its not much of a vacation if you have to spend hours of the day in a car.

yes, this would royally stink to me and my wife. Having the team in AZ in the spring at least gives me the few extra opportunities to see the club in person.

Not to mention what others said regarding travel. SOOOOOO nice to be able to cleanly and quickly travel to all the Brewers games for the week without spending time in the car for hours on end. The Tucson trip I could do without, but I also love that area and know of several other things to do in the Tucson area that my wife loves as well.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

There is a total different feel between the two leagues. Florida is more of a family fan based area. Attendence is so much better in Florida sites then Arizona sites. The baseball fan is going to enjoy Arizona much more because of the closeness of the games and you pretty much know you are going to have a game everyday.

The thing you have to remember about the Milwaukee Brewers is that a majority of their opperations in east of the Mississippi and they have a huge presence in Florida already. Doug Melvin and Gord Ash are pro Florida while the old regime was pro Arizona. MLB is allowing the Reds to move which will cause misalignment in schedules, which many people say publically is ok but behind the scenes is not an ideal situation. The Brewers are the only team that will be willing to leave as they are the only non West Coast Team that isn't in a brand spanking new complex.

It will be interesting. You are going to have lots more to do other then baseball when you go to Florida. I guess it is like the people who thought County Stadium was the greatest place in the world but now think Miller Park is pretty good, it will be a lot like that.

Let me start by saying Dodgertown is a great quaint location to take in a Spring Training game and Sarasota beaches are the best in the state in my opinion.

Wonder if Dodgertown might be rename to Brewertown if the Brewers move there? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Florida is more of a family fan based area. Attendence is so much better in Florida sites then Arizona sites.
I will be really, really disappointed if they move to Florida. As someone who has been to Spring Training in AZ the last 6 years with my wife and my now 10 year old son, I'm not so sure about the "family friendly" statement. Yeah, there is the whole Disney and Universal thing, but you don't get nearly as many "spring breakers" in AZ. I don't really want to deal with that crowd.

As I and others have mentioned in this thread as well...you are much more likely to have better weather in AZ than FL. AZ can be cooler at times and definitely is cooler in the morning and evening, but you rarely deal with any rain outs.

If there is any truth to the possible move to FL, we will probably think twice about going to ST again.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I hope they remain in AZ as well.. I like it when they have games in Tucson, since I live here. If they move out of AZ, I will never have anyone visit me again. boo! They drive between Tucson and the Phoenix area isn't half bad. It is a lot shorter than a good number of the Florida drives. From what I have been told from the locals, the teams in Tucson were moving on soon too, I am pretty sure this is the last year the Diamondbacks AAA team is playing here.

Listen I understand the loyality to Arizona, I really do and I have enjoyed the games I have seen there. But with 2 young kids I have a hard time finding things for them to do in Arizona. Every person that has kids is going to have to deal with the question someday either from the wife or from the kids themselves about a Disney vacation. Is Vero Beach or Sarasota usually that big of Spring Break destinations? Or are the people that would be frequenting those areas college kids who are checking out their teams? If it is later then I think we are being pretty selfish in avoiding that croud.

I am now moving strongly towards moving the team to Vero Beach.

reading thru the last few pages. i'm trying to understand the large incentive to why florida would be a better place than phx. spring training, east or west is pretty small potatoes. but the facilities with fall ball, rookie ball etc, then it is a year long operation / consideration.

hey - it doesnt hurt to look & explore. you know these three cities will be trying their darndest to get a team into their localized economies. for those who have been to 51st ave & indian school, its clear there would be a minimal effect on the immediate area of maryvale whether theres a game or not. the walk from walmart across the street to the gate is much closer than general admission parking at miller park to hot corner.

It seems I have become the spokesman for the cause, which is ok since I started the thread, so I will try to play the role of a Florida recruiter.

Maryville for all intensive purposes isn't a must see destination in Arizona. While the pluses of closer games and no weather related issues are there the lack of attractions outside baseball are minimal. The high sky and windy conditions sometimes make creating regular season conditions. With the Brewers current agreement they lose control of the facility to the City of Phoenix parks and recreation on January 1st, 2010.

In Florida you have the oppertunity to possibly play in a brand new facility in Auburndale, Florida where you would be smack dab in the middle of all current spring training facilities. If you moved to Vero Beach, Florida you would be moving into the most famous of spring facilities and the chance to lay a tradition and a culture of baseball. Or you could move into Sarasota where the attendance is one of the highest traditionally. You already have a minor league affiliate in Florida, you have a high number of high level scouts in Florida. Your General Manager and Scouting Director spend large amounts of time currently in Florida. Ryan Braun and Matt LaPorta are both high 1st round picks from the state of Florida so Florida has treated the Brewers well. Florida has tradition.

I've gotten so used to spring training in AZ where you can make it to every single game in less than an hour (except silly Tuscon, which isn't worth the trip). Knowing that it seems to be a good idea for the team, for me personally the thought of having to drive 5-6 hours to see a spring training game stinks. I'd probably consider not going to spring training anymore.

This "Five to six hours drive to see a game" or even "3 to 4 hours to drive to see a game" concept has been debunked time and again in this thread. If you want to see an afternoon game and an evening game (I'm not sure how many more games you can squeeze in), you can do so easily in Florida with no more than anywhere from 1/2 hour drive to an hour and a half, whether they're in Sarasota or Vero Beach.

I haven't been to Spring Training yet but seriously considered it this year until I got roped into a destination wedding by my wife's cousin. I was interested in going to AZ for it and trying to make it a semi regular occurance now that my wife is interested in baseball but a move to Florida would greatly lower my interest in it. I would still probably go once to check it out but after that, meh.

I have been to Florida many many times and wouldn't consider it that nice of place and certainly not a place I hope to live or retire to one day. I get the family fun idea of Orlando but once you are out of there what is so family/kid friendly about the rest of the state? The gulf coast is hours away from Orlando, so being in Sarasota doesn't make for a quick trip to Disney being 2.5 hours away in each direction. I have made that drive a few times and it is quite a boring drive.

I have been to the Braves spring training games in Orlando and that ball park was nice but it didn't feel like I was very close to the players but I was in the club seats behind home plate. The park is attached to a mall so the atmosphere didn't seem very "basebally", more like going to see a Disney floor show or something.

Given my choice I would definately prefere AZ to FL. (but on the upside if I wouldn't have to see Cub losers everywhere that would be a plus)

Ok, I'll be the spokesman for AZ.

Your looking for attractions outside of baseball? How about warmth and sunshine 95% of the time? Let's face it, your fans are coming to escape winter and watch some baseball. AZ provides the best conditions for doing that. People don't want to travel across the state in their rental car to see a game that is in danger of being rained out.

Also, not sure if you noticed, but the general movement of teams lately is from FL to AZ and not vice-versa. That should tell you something right there. If you are not pleased with your current facility (although its a perfectly fine facility) and are looking for a shiny new one, I'm sure there are plenty of communities around the Phoenix area that would welcome you with open arms.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Sarasota to Orlando takes you 2.5 hours? Are you driving below the speed limit in a Geo Prism or what? Orlando to Tampa is about a 1 hour 20 minute drive on I-4 going 7-10 over. Sarasota is roughly 30-45 minutes from Tampa and you can cut about 10 minutes off the Orlando to Tampa drive because you cut off on the St. Petersburg exit. So if you aren't putzing around you can make Orlando in 2 hours max from Sarasota.

As far as the Disney complex and the Atlanta Braves spring complex I again totally disagree. A lot of the new Arizona ballparks are copying the Disney model. You want that closeness to the players you aren't getting any closer that Holman Park in Vero Beach. You won't get Dodgertown access anywhere in Arizona...none.

Your looking for attractions outside of baseball? How about warmth and sunshine 95% of the time? Let's face it, your fans are coming to escape winter and watch some baseball.

Yes I am looking for attraction outside of baseball. What if my spouse and young childern don't want to watch baseball 6 days straight and go back to the hotel every night. If you have that arrangement then you are in a small minority. As has been proven the percentage of rained out games in Florida is quite small. Usually rain in Florida is spotty and comes and goes pretty quickly. If I come to Arizona I don't want to pay to see split squad games which is a certainity after Cincinnati's decision to head to Arizona in 2010, a move to Florida would allow the schedule to remain balanced as it now looks unlikely that any more teams will head west after Kissimmee agreed to improve the facility for Houston.

The general movement of teams to Arizona has nothing to do with what Florida lacks as it has more to do with West Coast teams wanting to be closer to home cities and communities offering up huge incentive based programs to attract teams like Cleveland and Cincinnati. Florida has recognized this and has stepped up to the plate in upping incentive based proposals to keep teams in town. Milwaukee is closer to any site in Florida then it would be in Arizona.

Family vacation vs. baseball fan taking a trip = family should win out.

(pared back long quote --1992)

Chalk another one up for staying in Arizona. As a vacation spot (non-family, however), I enjoyed Arizona MUCH more than I enjoyed Florida. A lot of people who go to spring training go down there for that specific purpose, and it doesn't get any easier to go to spring training than to fly in to Phoenix. Maryvale is a very short, easy drive from the airport, and it is really easy to follow the team around for a few days. As far as distance from Milwaukee...I'd estimate that a majority fly to the southern destinations in March, and it's not that much longer of a flight to go to Phoenix than it is anywhere in Florida (maybe half hour, 45 minutes longer). I honestly see no good reason that a move to Florida would be positive, from either a fan's perspective or for the team.

Sarasota to Orlando takes you 2.5 hours? Are you driving below the speed limit in a Geo Prism or what? Orlando to Tampa is about a 1 hour 20 minute drive on I-4 going 7-10 over. Sarasota is roughly 30-45 minutes from Tampa and you can cut about 10 minutes off the Orlando to Tampa drive because you cut off on the St. Petersburg exit. So if you aren't putzing around you can make Orlando in 2 hours max from Sarasota.
Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I remembered it taking about 30-45 minutes as well from Sarasota to Tampa depeding on traffic and it taking about 1 hour 45 minutes from Tampa to Orlando with me driving over the speed limit and traffic being not bad. I just checked Google Maps and they list the time at 2 hrs. 5 minute for Orlando to Tampa so my hour 45 isn't too far off, which brings a total of 2 hours 15 minutes to 2 hours 25 minutes with good traffic and driving above the speed limit.

Everyone has their preference but to me Florida is a hell hole that I would rather avoid.

What if my spouse and young childern don't want to watch baseball 6 days straight and go back to the hotel every night. If you have that arrangement then you are in a small minority.
Well, I guess I'm in the minority then, although my wife is really not an avid baseball fan, but she loves sitting out on the outfield berm and soaking up the AZ sun. Also, both my wife and son love swimming. We usually stay at a place with a nice swimming pool. So, we leave the game around the 6th or 7th inning and then go do some swimming. Everyone is happy. AZ also has a very nice Zoo and I hear that Sedona is very beautiful.

Besides that, most of the time K-12 have their spring break right around Easter, which a majority of the time falls in April. Most parents (not me) are reluctant to pull their kids from School with Spring break just around the corner. Colleges on the other hand, generally always have their spring breaks in March. FL is much more popular Spring Break destination for College kids than is AZ. I don't view throngs of drunken college spring-breakers as being "family friendly".

At any rate, I'm not that concerned. I think all of this is just rumors and I don't see the Brewers leaving AZ.

edit: Sonoma? Where did I get that from?

If your kid loves the swimming pool, he'll love the Gulf of Mexico. Plenty of swimming pools in Florida as well.

If the Brewers were thinking about moving to Miami Beach or Panama City Beach, I'd be a little more concerned about throngs of drunken college-students. As it stands, you're much more likely to see those throngs at Miller Park. Sarasota and Vero Beach simply aren't huge destinations for college Spring-Breakers.

Ive stated in this thread my preference for Arizona, it seems many would like to have a 5 day family vacation and catch one Brewer game in between Disney trips. If I am going to go to Spring Training, family or not (and I do have one), I want to watch baseball as much as I can. Im not hauling my family around Florida to follow the brewers, but everyday in Phoenix the team is relatively close to you, home or away. If they move to Florida I would be less likely to go because I simply wouldnt want to drive around Florida to watch the team.

I will say I am more open to the idea of Florida than I was in the beginning. Im more "I just dont really care" than mad or disappointed. I prefer AZ, but if its Florida, ok, fine.

I'm going to chime in for Arizona also. We've been going every year since 1995, before we had kids. Now it's a family trip. Our girls like a little baseball, a little Sedona/or western town, a little Phoenix Zoo and a lot of swimming. I've just always had a wonderful time in the area and would definitely miss it.

If they move to Florida...cripes I don't want to be that close to Disney World every year.

"Can we go to Disney World...Can we go to Disney World...Can we go to Disney World...Can we go to Disney World..."

Archived