Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee to move Spring Operations to Florida? (Melvin denies)

sbrylski06 wrote (reply #26):
... according to this article in Milwaukee Magazine (dated 3/1/2008):

Among Wisconsinites ages 60 and older who move to other states, the most popular destinations are Florida (23 percent) and Arizona (14 percent), with Illinois, Minnesota and Texas next, but well behind. The top states sending retirees to Wisconsin include: Illinois (30 percent) and Minnesota (14 percent), followed by Florida, Michigan, Arizona and California.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been to Spring Training in Ft. Myers and Maryvale. Maryvale is a great facility. It is so much more intimate then Fla Spring Training, which tends to be in bigger stadiums (not nicer) in further away locations. IMHO, Az is perfect for Spring Training baseball. The Brewers would be crazy to leave Maryvale. And those who think the neighborhood is dangerous, try to get out of your house a bit more. While not ideal, the neighborhood is a typical western city area. The West is simply not as gentrified as Florida. It is far from a ghetto or a dangerous area. I will be severely disappointed if the Crew leaves AZ for FL.

Fox Sports Radio just had on some guy from MLB who said that Vero Beach, Sarasota, and one other place with no team location (Auburndale) will have teams by 2010 or 2011 at the latest. Was then asked if teams would be moving within Florida or team or teams coming over from Arizona and the answer was both. Again if the MLB says that a team from Arizona could be moving to Florida it is quite clear the reference is to the Milwaukee Brewers.

Doug Melvin is supposed to be on with Steve "the Homer" True today and hopefully I can get an email to him to ask Melvin.

If all 3 locations improve and/or build new state of the art facilities where would be the preference to go?

I again I echo my statement on the first page. If they move to Florida, that would stink.
I agree. I have gone to ST in AZ the last 6 years. The weather in AZ is generally more stable (less rain) than in FL (I don't think there have been any rain outs in AZ this year so far). Yes, there are areas of FL where some of the ST sites are close to each other. However, when I go, I really only have an interest in seeing the Brewers play. In AZ I can pretty much follow them around no matter where they are playing, this would be more difficult in FL. I'm not sure I would go to ST if they moved to FL.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

its makes sense from a logistics point of view, since all our minor league teams are east of the mississippi. The biggest problems are that teams are flocking out of florida and we just got a new facility, unless the teams gets another new one or better one there is no point to leave.

once again, remember that folks that retire from Wisconsin tend to move to AZ. Folks from New England tend to retire to FLA. Frankly, there's so many here w/Milwaukee connections that it'd hurt their attendence

?

Why was this re-stated?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think Melvin was on with Homer today due to the Larry Harris firing but with Drew Olson in Arizona for the rest of the week I am sure that Melvin will be on with Drew this week and I will try to get an answer if they take call ins like they sometimes do on 540 ESPN.

Not sure if I'm too high on the Brewers moving to Florida either. I'll echo the sentiment that Maryvale is a not bad neighborhood. I'll agree that it is a bad neighborhood when it comes to things to do but it's certainly not a beaten down gang ridden neighborhood. Working class. I probably won't stay there again as I enjoyed the Peoria area quite a bit and would likely try to center future trips around Brewer games in Peoria. I'd mostly be disappointed if it moved to Florida because my spring training crew has 3 people from California. A lot easier for them to get there. I've never set foot in Florida so I can't say I hate Florida. I'd just rather it stay in Arizona.

I haven't posted in over a year. I can't read about what a great facility Maryvale is and let it stand. I've been to Brewer Spring training twice. It was a blast but that was not due to how great Maryvale is. I believe that Maryvale is the worst of all the Phoenix area facilities. The field is fine. Other than that...dead last. It may be bacause it is 2/3 to 3/4 empty and doesn't have that vibe. It may be the poor food and beverage choices. I don't like driving out to Surprise but if someone wants to see a great facility...that is an example. A MLB Spring Training facility should be better than Minor league parks or at least as good. I'm not talking about Bricktown in OKC, that is to high of a bar to set. Just better than you average Double A park. I'm not for a move to FL but I am for more of what the other parks in AZ offer.

I've heard it's a 'great' training facility. That doesn't necessarily translate into a 'great' ballpark, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Great point. My perspective was that of a ballpark. I'm a fan not a player so that is what I look for. I'm not sure who is responsible for the fan experience. For all I know the Brewers lease the place and are hands off on the rest of the operations. If they are responsible for the fan experience I wish they would wlak around the other parks and see what is offered, and enjoyed, by fans. Perhaps there just isn't enough room. The park seems much smaller than the others. I can have fun at any ballpark. I had fun every time I went to Snapper games in Beloit. Also...I have friends that are KC & TX fans and another that is an M's fan...so I hear it when we go to Maryvale.

I finally got an email back from my buddy in Florida. Sounds like the Baltimore Orioles are going to be moving into the Vero Beach location. The Cincinnati Reds are going to be moving to Goodyear, Arizona. The people in Auburndale think they are going to be getting either the Milwaukee Brewers or Minnesota Twins with the other going to Sarasota. Sounds like that this isn't a if but more of a when now. It will be interesting to see when the Brewers talk about it.

Bummer.

Edit - Let me elaborate on my statement, above. When I find the time/money to go to spring training, I do so to watch the Brewers. In AZ I can fly into Phoenix, stay wherever I want, look at the schedule and follow the Brewers wherever they may go. If they are in Scottsdale, Tempe, Peoria, Maryvale or Mesa it doesn't matter because they are all a relatively short, convenient drive away. I am even game for a day trip to Tuscon if I have to make it (because I know the weather will be top notch).

Exhibit A - map of cactus league teams

Consequently, looking at the possible locations for the Brewers are Auburndale or Sarasota, which are probably fine locations for spring baseball, but looking at this map... The Brewers would be numbers 6 or somewhere near the 9/10 which means, unless they are playing at home, or a close neighbor, it is mighty incovenient to go to a game and there is no guarantee that any team would be playing at home near where you are staying. Like I said, this is a shame.

(edit: clickification --1992)

I understand all the pro-florida-arguments and they are good points, but I'm worried that the weather will make it more difficult to get pitchers ready for the season. I also worry that the Brewer players will be more apt to get injured on slick surfaces, etc. I'd stay in AZ.

I understand all the pro-florida-arguments and they are good points, but I'm worried that the weather will make it more difficult to get pitchers ready for the season. I also worry that the Brewer players will be more apt to get injured on slick surfaces, etc. I'd stay in AZ.

I tend to think that is not an issue. If it was, there would be no teams in so. florida.

so who would be moving to maryvale and don't the brewers have a lease or something with the facility?

The lease, as I have heard in this thread, is until 2012. I would imagine as long as another team picks it up that Maryvale doesnt care who occupies it. The trend is clearly for teams leaving Florida and moving to AZ, I have also heard Las vegas as a potential ST location in the future. It is too bad Milwaukee is heading the other way.

I wouldn't mind the Brewers moving to Flordia. At first it struck me as a bad idea, but the more I think about it the better it sounds. The Brewers and the ocean would be a good combination. I'd wait until they had games against the Twins and Redsox and head down there for those few games.

The lease isn't the sticky situation that it seems to be. The Brewers actually own and operate the complex after the agreement with Maryvale when they first moved there. The lease to remain in the city expires after the 2012 season but the Brewers have a opt out after 2010 when the city of Phoenix Parks and Recreation department take over full ownership and operations of the Maryvale Baseball Park. The Brewers signed a 15 year contract in 1997 with a opt out clause. Thus the talk.

Consequently, looking at the possible locations for the Brewers are Auburndale or Sarasota, which are probably fine locations for spring baseball, but looking at this map... The Brewers would be numbers 6 or somewhere near the 9/10 which means, unless they are playing at home, or a close neighbor, it is mighty incovenient to go to a game and there is no guarantee that any team would be playing at home near where you are staying. Like I said, this is a shame.
"Mighty inconvenient?" It's about an hour drive from Ed Smith in Sarasota to Al Lang Field (or whatever they're calling it now) in St. Pete. 1 1/2 hours to Tampa or Clearwater/Dunedin. 25 minutes to the Pirates' park in Bradenton. We're hardly talking the Pony Express over the Rockies here.

And here's the Reds' ST schedule for this year. Heavy on blocks of home games, and most of the "roadtrips" are well within half-day trips.

Looking at that map of Florida sites I was quite surprised there wasn't as many sites around the Orlando area, which kinda surprises me. If I had a preference I think I rather have the new complex in Auburndale cause of its cental location. Sounds like Sarasota really follows their teams well though.

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go again. I just received an email that Milwaukee Brewers officials will be touring 3 possible sites to move spring operations to May 5th and 6th. Those 3 locations are Vero Beach, Florida (aka the old Dodgertown), Sarasota, Florida (former home of the Cincinnati Reds), and Auburndale, Florida (close but neighbors to Winter Haven, Florida which hosted the Cleveland Indians).

Both Vero Beach and Sarasota are in the planning stages to add nearly 12-20 million dollars in nesessary improvements and Auburndale is planning on building a brand new complex. The Milwaukee Brewers have been identified as the only Arizona based team to consider a move to Florida. The Brewers lease is officially up in 2012 but the Brewers have a out at the end of 2009 when the City of Phoenix and Maryville take primary control of the Brewers complex in Maryville, Arizona.

Archived