Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee to move Spring Operations to Florida? (Melvin denies)

Got this little tidbit from a buddy of mine in state government of Florida this morning. The Houston Astros are considering a move out of their Kissimmee, Florida location to a move to Arizona. In order for the Astros to move to Arizona another tream would have to leave Arizona. The Milwaukee Brewers have been talking to Auburndale, Florida officials about placing the team in a new facility just north of the Polk County Fair Grounds. Auburndale is inbetween Winter Haven and Lakeland, Florida. With the Cleveland Indians leaving Winter Haven for Arizona the Polk County Government has been pushing hard for another club to come in. A proposed plan would build a multi-million dollar state of the art facility and have it ready for the 2010 season.

Milwaukee has struggled to draw at its Maryvale facility due to its poor location in Phoenix area.

I don't think I am old enough to remember if the Brewers ever held spring training in Florida but sounds like this could become a reality soon.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would certainly seem opposite the trend of all of the Florida teams running to Arizona....

I don't think spring training attendance would be a motivating factor in moving the team, though actual location may (I have not been to Maryvale, but have heard it is not in the best part of town).

From what I hear, the Brewers are very pleased with their facilities at Maryvale. I was out there a few years ago and, even though the park is located in probably not the greatest area, it is in fantastic shape. The fact that they haven't drawn well in the past few years could be more of an issue with the lousy teams of days gone by. Listening to the games this spring it sounds like they are drawing some nice crowds.

Also, I don't think that we will be seeing any teams moving to Florida from Arizona. The parks are much more conveniently located in and around Phoenix, with the exception of a couple of teams in Tucson, and the weather is much better. I don't believe the Brewers have ever trained in Florida and I would be stunned if they made the move there.

Well I think the clubs are about split 50/50 now after the Dodgers and Indians move to Arizona next season. If I remember Steve Phillips talking last season during a spring training game that Houston has been trying to get out of the lease with Kissimmee and it was up after 2009. They have been chomping at the bit to go to Arizona but like my buddy who is a state rep in Florida said Polk County would get the next chance for a franchise since they let Cleveland out of their contract after Winter Haven bought the Chain o' Lakes Stadium for development. Cleveland opted against the deal that the Brewers would supposedly get.

Let me reassure you that I am not trying to stir trouble. I am just relaying some interesting info I thought would make interesting convo.

The Brewers have always stated that they have been pleased with their facilities in Maryvale, however, we have speculated before that the Brewers may investigate moving to Florida since so many of their affiliates are now East of the Mississippi, and they also have shown a scouting preference in this part of the country as well, particularly in Florida (Braun, LaPorta, Fielder). So this isn't really that crazy of an idea.

Having the team's spring training, extended spring training and offseason complex in Florida would help cut down some travel costs between there, Brevard County, Huntsville, West Virginia, Nashville and even Milwaukee, and the Brewers could also probably swap their Arizona rookie team with a Gulf Coast League team that the Dodgers or Indians currently have.

The Brewers have always been in Arizona; they inherited it from the Pilots.

I see a mixed set of advantages and disadvantages. Travel is much nicer in Arizona, and the weather doesn't often include rain that covers the whole state for several days.

On the other side of the coin, Florida is closer to Milwaukee. 'Thin air' issues in Arizona can make it hard for managers and coaches to be able to tell if certain pitchers' pitches are working. Also, a move to Florida could enable the Brewers to field a Florida State League team that plays in the Brewers' own facility.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Also, a move to Florida could enable the Brewers to field a Florida State League team that plays in the Brewers' own facility.

Not necessarily. The spring complex would probably also need to be the home to the team's rookie team, as part of the Gulf Coast League. I'm not sure if there are any teams that house both a rookie team and a Florida State League team in the same stadium, as that would be rather tough to manage.

This would be a travesty if they moved. IMO, and from talking to many Wisconsinites, Arizona is a much more popular vacation destination for Wisconsinites, both around spring training and otherwise. Ive done the AZ Spring training vacation once, and loved it. I cant wait to get back, but to be honest, if the Brewers moved to Florida, I doubt I would travel to Florida to see them..I might still travel to AZ and watch the other teams that are there.

The Brewers have always stated that they have been pleased with their facilities in Maryvale, however, we have speculated before that the Brewers may investigate moving to Florida since so many of their affiliates are now East of the Mississippi, and they also have shown a scouting preference in this part of the country as well, particularly in Florida (Braun, LaPorta, Fielder). So this isn't really that crazy of an idea.

Having the team's spring training, extended spring training and offseason complex in Florida would help cut down some travel costs between there, Brevard County, Huntsville, West Virginia, Nashville and even Milwaukee, and the Brewers could also probably swap their Arizona rookie team with a Gulf Coast League team that the Dodgers or Indians currently have.

Well said Colby. I was trying myself to think of a reason why the Brewers organization would consider a possible move outside of the tough location of the ballpark and the fact they don't draw as well as other clubs in Arizona. But the points you gave make a lot of sense and now I can see why Milwaukee would now consider a possible move.

Arizona is a much more popular vacation destination for Wisconsinites
Really? I'd say it's more 50/50 between AZ and FL. I'd much rather go to Florida than Arizona.

There is so much more to do for a family in Florida then Arizona. Arizona, I agree, for baseball, is a great vacation but if the wife and kids want to go on a vacation you better hope the family all loves baseball as much as we do.

I'd hate to see the brewers leave AZ, likely bc i'm an arizona resident. I think the Brewers are the only team that owns its facility. Considering its about ten years old & attendance numbers really dont effect the bottom line for the financial success of the year, it would seem the deal would have to be outrageously good. I think it might help AZ that attanasio is a socal resident. He's a 30-minute flight from home during springtime.

I don't know how much of a big deal Attanasio living in SoCal is for this thing. I believe I saw on the local news that he made his one apperance of the spring to address the team and will make one more trip in late March. Again I don't if that is true about the Brewers owning the facility. I do know they hold the operations of it. Like I said, I have no way of confirming interest. I emailed Steve "the Homer" True to ask Tom Haudicourt during his daily sagment on his show but whether he does is hit and miss.

My buddy in Florida had way to many specific details to make me question its truthfulness.

There is so much more to do for a family in Florida then Arizona. Arizona, I agree, for baseball, is a great vacation but if the wife and kids want to go on a vacation you better hope the family all loves baseball as much as we do.

This was my first thought on the subject as well. My wife and I have talked about taking our child to Disney at some point in time, and since vacation plans are tough to schedule as is, it would be a lot easier to sell a spring training trip if there was more to market, so to speak. Arizona does have some very good spa locations from what I hear, but again that doesn't exactly target our child.

I'm not saying a move would be good or bad, but I can definitely see it happening logistically speaking.

The Brewers have always been in Arizona; they inherited it from the Pilots.

I see a mixed set of advantages and disadvantages. Travel is much nicer in Arizona, and the weather doesn't often include rain that covers the whole state for several days.

On the other side of the coin, Florida is closer to Milwaukee. 'Thin air' issues in Arizona can make it hard for managers and coaches to be able to tell if certain pitchers' pitches are working. Also, a move to Florida could enable the Brewers to field a Florida State League team that plays in the Brewers' own facility.

Well I live in Florida and would be thrilled if the Brewers moved here. As far as "rain covering the entire state for days" I can tell you that it rains alot but never in the steady all day kind of thing that people in the midwest have to deal with sometimes. It is always scattered. We had rain for about 3 straight hours yesterday in Ft Lauderdale and that was highly unusual. It seems to me that most games would be able to be played, you just have to wait for the rain to pass every now and then.

Arizona has better weather but as others have pointed out there is A LOT more to do here, the beach alone would make it a more attractive destination to me.

Yeah, I grew up in Florida and I always associate rain there with violent half-hour spells which clear up right afterwards.

I think Florida is a more attractive option in a lot of ways, but for now, if the team is happy in Maryvale (and I've yet to hear otherwise), I think they should stay put.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really don't think the Brewers will (or should) consider Wisconsinite's travel plans when deciding which state to train in. The attendance numbers won't increase/decrease dramatically either way.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't believe the Brewers have ever trained in Florida and I would be stunned if they made the move there.

A state-of-the-art facility with some perks might be a pretty hard offer to turn down, though. Maryvale is a nice complex, but not enough so that a shinier facility wouldn't interest the Crew. Besides, couldn't they retain ownership of Maryvale and lease it out?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This would be a travesty if they moved. IMO, and from talking to many Wisconsinites, Arizona is a much more popular vacation destination for Wisconsinites, both around spring training and otherwise.
Most people I talk to, including my family go to Florida o vacation. If they do move I hope it is to the Fort Myers area.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

...as they are both hot and about the same distance.

I'm guessing you mean by plane travel, but I was going to comment before about how Florida is a more appealing attraction for me and my family since it is closer in respect to a road trip, as we're not particularly keen on flying. 7-8 hours closer is a huge difference, as that's the difference between another day in the car, which is even longer when you have a kid or more in the back seat.

Archived