Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow looking really good [bad]

Ned needed to let him get the 3rd out. He already had two outs in the inning and we were down 19-5. If Turnbow is gonna be a part of this team, he needs to be able to get 3 outs in an inning and what did we really have to lose by letting him finish the inning. Except for the fact that the game may still be going on then.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone find it ironic, that our version of Nuke Laloosh (million dollar arm and a 10 cent head) has a blow up of his own on the 20th anniversary of the release of Bull Durham? I guess we should've seen that coming.

As for what to do with him... I'd send him down. If somebody claims him, so be it. I really don't think he's going to help the club this year unless he can get straightened out. And I don't think he'll get enough opps to get straightened out in the big leagues. I doubt that he'd refuse the assignment and forfeit the 3.2 million.

As good a guy as he is, he needs to move on and so do the Brewers. DFA or trade him for anything and use his spot on the 40 man to bring up Branyan for a versatile guy with a left handed power stroke off the bench. Not being able to trust Turnbow we've been operating with a 24 man roster anyway. It will cost the Brewers money but as it is it costs money, games and morale. Team and fans.

If someone claims him off waivers, they pick up his contract as well, right? I doubt any team will claim him. More likely, they will wait to see if he declines the assignment and declares himself a free agent.

I still think Turnbow will ultimately turn it around and be able to be counted on in the bullpen, but I just don't see it happening in Milwaukee. The fans have been pretty rough on him at times in the past where he may not have deserved it. He's been pretty bad this year and fans have a right to a certain degree to be upset with him. I believe the ideal scenario is that he gets dealt, but I don't know how much interest there would be in him.

Every year we see relievers with guaranteed money stink it up early, and get flipped for another reliever doing the same thing. Its happened to Jorge Julio a couple times. I'm guessing Turnbow gets dealt for another struggling reliever like Mike Timlin or Jorge Sosa. The Brewers don't have a good option to replace Turnbow, as Luis Pena is off to a slow start at AAA.

I was thinking about this as well and who might be available for a change of scenery trade. Timlin is 100, and Sosa hasn't been good, but he hasn't really reached Turnbow status yet. Is Jamie Navarro still playing?

Man I keep checking back here to see a transaction thread with the title: "Derrick Turnbow DFA, Joe Dillon or Dave Bush recalled from AAA Nashville." But not yet, and I think I'm going to be dissapointed as I don't think it's going to happen. I think Melvin must have some kind of man crush on Derrick.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The Brewers don't have a good option to replace Turnbow, as Luis Pena is off to a slow start at AAA.

The Brewers don't need to replace Turnbow with a pitcher. They should be able to get along with a 12 man pitching staff, just like every other team in baseball. I'm all for a Brad Nelson or Joe Dillon (has it been 10 days yet?) call-up.

Man I keep checking back here to see a transaction thread with the title: "Derrick Turnbow DFA, Joe Dillon or Dave Bush recalled from AAA Nashville." But not yet, and I think I'm going to be dissapointed as I don't think it's going to happen.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them hold off on aything until after the game today at the earliest. I have no doubt that something will happen in the next couple days though. I have been predicting the disappearance of both Gabe Gross and Derrik Turnbow for the better part of 3 weeks now, and darn it, its gonna happen.

Every year we see relievers with guaranteed money stink it up early, and get flipped for another reliever doing the same thing. Its happened to Jorge Julio a couple times. I'm guessing Turnbow gets dealt for another struggling reliever like Mike Timlin or Jorge Sosa. The Brewers don't have a good option to replace Turnbow, as Luis Pena is off to a slow start at AAA.

I think this is our best bet. Change of scenery for change of scenery and such.

Verified Member
I still think Turnbow will ultimately turn it around and be able to be counted on in the bullpen, but I just don't see it happening in Milwaukee. The fans have been pretty rough on him at times in the past where he may not have deserved it. He's been pretty bad this year and fans have a right to a certain degree to be upset with him. I believe the ideal scenario is that he gets dealt, but I don't know how much interest there would be in him.

Yes, but the fans got behind him in his last Miller Park appearance. I had really thought maybe that experience would turn him around.

Edit: By "last" I actually meant his April 23 save appearance. Did not know he had had an appearance on the 27th.

Like many of the people on this thread, I think Turnbow can still be a great pitcher, I just don't think he can do it in a Brewers uniform.

How did the fans react when he loaded the bases on Sunday without getting an out? He didn't take the experience well, even after Stetter didn't let any of the runners score.

The Brewers can't bring Bush back up if they DFA/release Turnbow. Unless if T-bow came down with a case of the Dessens or another pitcher was injured, Bush has to stay in Nashville for 10 days.

I have been predicting the disappearance of both Gabe Gross and Derrik Turnbow for the better part of 3 weeks now

So... what does the fact that Gabe Gross netted us a quality arm mean to you? You're certainly taking credit like you ran a bum outta town, yet clearly Tampa saw a guy they wanted for full-time PT, and didn't get him for cheap.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yes, but the fans got behind him in his last Miller Park appearance. I had really thought maybe that experience would turn him around.

No he won't turn it around. We're not dealing with a mechanical flaw here or even a loss of confidence. The guy has a psychological makeup (not necessarily a flaw) that is not conducive to throwing a ball accurately from 60 feet in front of 40,000 people. That he was able to do it for over a year the way he did is remarkable not that he can't do it now. That was totally predictable once he melted down late in 2006. Unfortunately, the Brewers spend more money on stats geeks than they do on psychologists so they have failed to see this guy needs more than a word from a pitching coach.

Most guys with this psychological profile get weeded out long before they make it to top of their sport. But some guys do and then it kicks in full blown. It happens to golfers quite often. Six or seven years ago David Duval was number 2 in the world. Now he can't make a cut on tour despite no physical limitations.

Those that haven't experience anything like this have a hard time understanding it. I was a pretty good shooter when I played HS hoops back in the day. But free throws gave me fits even though my form was fine. There's something about standing there and being the guy who initiates the action.

You're certainly taking credit like you ran a bum outta town,

I am? You might want to look at some of the things I actually said. I simply saw Gross and Turnbow as the odd men out once Gallardo and Cameron returned, and largely because of the Sheets thing, Turnbow's disappearnace has taken longer than I thought it would. I am well aware of both the reasons and circumstances of Gross's departure, and that is precisely why I saw him gone.

What was that you said yesterday about snarkiness...adding nothing to a discussion...something along thse lines?

We have to remember how the Brewers acquired Turnbow - he was scrap heap material that didn't pan out in Philly and in Anaheim. Doug Melvin has a knack for mining nuggets, but those nuggets are there to be had for a reason - they're not consistently good enough for their former teams to worry much about losing them.

Right now, the Brewers are basically playing every game a man short on their roster - Turnbow can't be relied upon for anything. The 4-6 run inning seems to have a better chance of happening than a 3 up, 3 down inning at this point. I can deal with McClung eating up innings in blowouts and having him get hit around a bit, but Turnbow can't even get himself 3 outs in a completely meaningless situation.

time to cut the cord

I am? You might want to look at some of the things I actually said. I simply saw Gross and Turnbow as the odd men out once Gallardo and Cameron returned, and largely because of the Sheets thing

My apologies. I certainly couldn't see that you felt Gross was a solid member of the team.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No he won't turn it around.

This is clearly just your opinion. It's not like Turnbow is as bad as Ankiel or Wohlers right now in my opinion. I think he wants to close and he's not happy in Milwaukee. The "mental" part may work itself out. I just don't think he wants to be in Milwaukee and his recent struggles aren't helping his confidence.

Those that haven't experience anything like this have a hard time understanding it. I was a pretty good shooter when I played HS hoops back in the day. But free throws gave me fits even though my form was fine. There's something about standing there and being the guy who initiates the action.

I'm missing how playing high school basketball relates to a relief pitcher in the big leagues playing for a team, city, and fans that don't want any part of him. My opinion is that he can overcome the mental issues. He's never had great control and never will, but I think bf.net might be exaggerating the situation a little bit here.

My apologies. I certainly couldn't see that you felt Gross was a solid member of the team.

Well I didn't necessarily say that either. Let's just say I saw him as the odd man out for a reason, but that is a fairly lengthy journey from running a bum out of town.

Now, Turnbow on the other hand...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I've been one of the people that felt Turnbow could be a valuable part of the pen for quite some time but I can't defend him anymore. It really has got to the point were he's taking up space that oculd go to someone far more useful to the team. Given his history I think he has finally reached the point of dimisnishing returns. His erraticness now far outweighs what benefit he could provide if he got back on track. Ned has treated him very fairly in trying to get him turned around. He has been given every opportunity in both crucial situations and mop up to prove himself one way or the other. At this point if Ned would use him in anysituation the outcome would likely not be benificial to the team. If he's used in a tight game the chances he would blow it are way to great. If he's used in a blowout he cannot even do the one thing asked of that type of pitcher which is to save the rest fo the pen. Note to Turnbow if Chris Spurling is more useful than you it's time to go. I don't really think it's mental though I think he just can't throw accurately enough to be effective. The relatively short amount of time he did get both his pitches over the plate may just have been an anomoly in his career.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifJJHardy7 wrote:
I think he wants to close and he's not happy in Milwaukee.
http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif I don't care what he wants....he's never closing in the Majors again. Heck.....I want to close for a Major League club too. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Earl Weaver's Second Law: If you don't make any promises to your players you won't have to break them. "Your role is to warmup when I tell you and come in the game and pitch when I tell you."

Archived