Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow looking really good [bad]

Supan has pitched over 200 innings twice in the last 5 seasons. Not sure why people always ignore that he never went over 200 innings with the Cardinals. As to his ERA, projections for next year have him from 4.59 to 4.94 with FIP of 4.57 to 4.75.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And he's clearly a better pitcher still than Capuano...

Since Capuano's probably the team's 8th option for a starting pitcher, that's not saying alot.

Suppan will take the ball every 5th day, yes, but he's not the innings-eating horse many make him out to be. Basically, every game he starts, the manager has to have a plan to get at least 3 innings from his bullpen - for as many people who harp on Vargas for being a bullpen killer, Suppan wasn't that much better.

• 1 month later...
I could see Turnbow as lights out in April May
Then again, no. He's got to go NOW! If his "fragile" psyche makes him not like being booed, what does it mean to that psyche that he gave up 6 runs? He's done. The only way that something can be salvaged for him is a change of scenery, maybe. I think hitters have caught up to him and he's getting beaten like a rented mule. ANYONE would be better than Blow at this point.

I said it for years, and I'll say it again. For all the good things Doug Melvin has done, his lovefest for Derrick Turnbow has killed the Brewers. I was blsted for that statement last year, but I doubt I will be this time. Melvin should have dumped Turnbow's contract in the offseason, we teams actually wanted him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I thought Dillon was able to come back yesterday and I honestly didn't see Turnbow here anymore once that day came. Is it actually today that Dillon's 10 days are up? If so, I don't think they have any choice where Turnbow is concerned anymore.

Verified Member
I don't really care that he gave up 6 runs in mopup duty, the problem is he couldn't even get 3 outs. That forced the Brewers to use another reliever. If he can't even get 3 outs in mopup duty, he's worthless.

I really hope we just end his and our misery by DFA'ing him today. Just cut our losses let him go somewhere else and maybe he can turn it around in a new setting? I dunno, I would like to just end the Turnbow experiment and bring up Dillon or another bat off the bench.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

i was a turnbow supporter. he has struggled recently, but he has had long stretches where he was really really good. he was lights out for the first half of last year. i really thought that he could help the team.

But now I firmly believe that he has got to go. He can still be a productive reliever, but not here and I think its time for him and the brewers to move on. it has got to be hard to go from being the main guy (closer/fan favorite) to being the main guy's set up guy to being a mop up guy (fan scape goat). his confidence is shot and its time to go...

I will never understand relievers. there are a few that are good year after year - but so often a guy thats awesome one year all of a sudden can't get anybody out the next.

Dear DBow,

Thank you. For the past 4 years you have been pretty good, a bit spotty at times but overall I'd say a quality BP arm. But, you've been terrible for a yearish, and you can't seem to throw strikes. As much as I like watching you pitch when you are on, but those days are distant memories. As much as I'd like to keep you, you haven't shown signs of having it and we need to move on. Please don't take this DFA as anything more then it is, it's you... not me.

Aaron

Usually when relievers fail, I turn on them and my "closer rage" kicks in. I've mentioned this over time on this message board, and the list is long and goes a ways back: Doug Henry, Mike Fetters, Mike DeJean, Jose Capellan (just to name a few).

Somehow, I've never felt the rage with Derrick. I don't know why. By now it's just sadness. I've wanted him to succeed and (last Wednesday notwithstanding), it just isn't happening now. So even I think it's time for a change of scenery. Whether he's just plain broken or only broken as a Brewer, I think a split would benefit both sides.

If today is the day, I'll choose to remember his good outings. his beautiful bobblehead and his erstwhile rockstar status. Maybe especially, I'll feel fortunate that I got to see his last effective outing on the 23rd. That was a good MP moment.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I didn't see his outing last night, so I don't really know what the pitches looked like, and I don't necessarily even think this is the case, but does anyone think its possible he tanked on purpose last night? He has made no secret if the fact he wants out, and it is clearly not going to hapopen for him here. That game was over anyway, so what better way to drive the final nail then to go out and pitch the worst you have in the time you've been here, force your manager to bring in another reliever...There's no money on the line for him...I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Question for the rules geeks...Since we know Bush cleared waivers, is it possible Turnbow did as well, and would that be adequate to be able to send him to AAA? At this point, I think an outright release is probably called for, but is it possible they could have just been waiting for Dillon's 10 days to be up and then send Turnbow to AAA? Other than litterally letting him rot in the pen, which would obviously not help the team, it seems to me that would be the only hammer the Brewers would have in this (bad) situation.

No way he tanked it, the guy is not Gary Sheffield. I think he genuinely wanted to keep things going after last week's Phils game. Ned has been really supportive of him and taken a lot of abuse for it...that has to count for something. Last night was really sad. I've felt for sometime that the fans have been way too critical of T-bow. He was incredibly valuable before the break last year in the 8th inning role. I thought he got overused with a thin pen at the end of the year and the offseason would freshen him up for '08. I was really fired up after that Phillies game that he may have turned the corner, but alas it is not to be.

Last night was sad and likely his last outing in a Brewers uniform. If he wasn't with the Brewers already, this is exactly the type of guy Melvin would take a shot on. With a team that runs 28-30 deep, it puts a great deal of strain on Ned to carry a guy he can't use. Good luck T-bow...I may be the only one that will miss you.

Since we know Bush cleared waivers, is it possible Turnbow did as well

Yep, certainly possible if not probable. I can't imagine a waiver claim of Turnbow upsetting DM at this point though.

My guess is that he will get DFA'd and then in the next 10 days (or so) traded for the proverbial Max St. Pierre, or released.

but does anyone think its possible he tanked on purpose last night?

His control was so bad, I don't think he could have done anything on purpose.

If he did tank, I think he hurts himself worse than his team. Certainly any teams considering taking a flyer on him could have been scared off, and Tbow might be signing with an Indy league team here shortly.

Since we know Bush cleared waivers, is it possible Turnbow did as well

Yep, certainly possible if not probable.

But that being the case (which I assume it is as well), could they send him to AAA today if they wanted, or would he still have some option to refuse the assignment?

I think a clean break is probably more appropriate, but one never knows about the inner workings of the mind of one Doug Melvin.

if he refuses the assignment he forfeits his contract, i know he wants out bad, but to give up the remaining 3.2 mil is alittle hard to do, especially for someone that may not see that amount again in his career.

if he refuses the assignment he forfeits his contract, i know he wants out bad, but to give up the remaining 3.2 mil is alittle hard to do, especially for someone that may not see that amount again in his career.

Well, if that's true, then other than just doing him a favor and making a clean break, would there be any reason to not at least try to send him down? You just never know what could come of it once the end of July rolls around.

Every year we see relievers with guaranteed money stink it up early, and get flipped for another reliever doing the same thing. Its happened to Jorge Julio a couple times. I'm guessing Turnbow gets dealt for another struggling reliever like Mike Timlin or Jorge Sosa. The Brewers don't have a good option to replace Turnbow, as Luis Pena is off to a slow start at AAA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived