Brewer Fanatic

07/23/07 Brewers (Capuano) @ Reds (Harang) 6:05pm CT

sgtcluels
  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable job by the pitching staff tonight.

But we have to score here. The Reds offense is too good. We're not going to be able to put up 0's much longer. One mistake, at Great American Ballpark, and anyone can take one out.

Make it rolling a 1 or 2 on a 6 sided die if it makes you feel better but it's such a small sample, it doesn't even matter.

A .300 hitter is more likely to get a hit in any situation than a .200 because he's better vs. the competition he's facing. Who is to say that's not true on individual matchups as well?

Either way, I'd be wasting my time.

Buy a used stats 101 text book or google "sample size".

Don't pull that crap when I'm asking a valid question that doesn't necessarily fit into the 'laws of sample size'. Every time someone posts an opinion about something without facts/evidence to back it up, you call them out for not basing their beliefs/opinions on something without evidence. Now the shoe is on the other foot with you not citing evidence, and you're getting huffy and evading the question.

So, I'll ask again: Where are the facts that say that the statistics of a batter vs a particular pitcher are irrelevant?

Without evidence to the contrary, your opinion is just that.

Regardless of whether we score this inning, I think we HAVE to go with Cordero next inning against the meat of the Reds order.

Screw the save situation, go with your best reliever to keep it tied against the dangerous part of the order. You go with Spurling or Balfour, and there won't be a save to play for later.

Of course, if we can't do something here, 1st and 2nd nobody out, we just probably aren't going to win this one anyway.

Where are the facts that say that the statistics of a batter vs a particular pitcher are irrelevant?

But Peavey, he's not saying that by definition the matchup is irrelevant, he's saying that 7AB's is pretty meaningless, and I'd tend to agree. If the batter is like 30/50 or something, then maybe you have something, but 7 AB's? Is that seriously something to put any stock in?

edit: So if someone is 5-7 on Wednesday games that start at 5:15, do you make the leap that somehow that means something?

Archived