Brewer Fanatic

07/23/07 Brewers (Capuano) @ Reds (Harang) 6:05pm CT

sgtcluels
  • Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Definitely a tad deflating. I was really hoping a "playoff caliber" team would be capable of plating a runner with bases loaded and nobody out, but then again I have been watching this team for years and although disappointing definitely not shocking.

Maybe I don't have the situation right in my head but .... why not:

Double switch when Shouse comes in, putting Miller in the #9 hole and Shouse batting 5th? That puts off the Shouse plate appearance for when the Brewers either have a lead or are into an even longer contest where the entire "book" has gone out the window in terms of how the roster is used.

Talking over the game this morning with another BFnetter at work, I think the best decision would have been to PH Gwynn for Mench and then try and squeeze Hardy in from 3B.

Question is... would they have guarded against the squeeze? And if so, what % of squeezes are successful if the defense is guarding for it?

I wouldn't have minded seeing that happen, but well all know how the Brewers staff feels about bunting, let alone in a squeeze situation. Would it have been better to pinch run Gwynn for Hardy in that situation (or Weeks for that matter) and try the squeeze with Mench or Gwynn?

Note I do not remember exactally off hand who had been used/hadn't at this point, and can't really look it up as it seems majority of sites at work are blocked

[ I wouldn't have minded seeing that happen, but well all know how the Brewers staff feels about bunting, let alone in a squeeze situation. Would it have been better to pinch run Gwynn for Hardy in that situation (or Weeks for that matter) and try the squeeze with Mench or Gwynn? ]

Gwynn's probably the best bunter on the team.

If you PR'd Gwynn for Hardy, you:

a) have no shortstop

b) signal the other team that you are going to squeeze

Yea, tipping the upcoming play would be pretty obvious, I didn't really think of that right away, but had realized it as I was reading what you wrote.

I've been through this game what seems like hundreds of times in my head, and still can not figure out a single reason why Estrada shouldn't be made an example of over the next couple days. I just want to see a couple big wins now in a row over the Redlegs.

Just take the next 3 and walk with this four game set.

Archived