Brewer Fanatic

07/23/07 Brewers (Capuano) @ Reds (Harang) 6:05pm CT

sgtcluels
So Coco get us through that inning with 2 guys on already, and that assuming he could even warm up that fast, and then the Brewers don't score, and then what? Spurling and Balfour as the stoppers? You know that's not how you manage that situation, he handled it the right way. It's probably his fault Estrada didn't hustle down the line and the Brewers couldn't push one across though with bases loaded and no out.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God, I feel like taking one of my three strikes right now.

This is not ONLY one game either. We are in a pennant chase on July 23rd and we have only given away games all year and have not taken more than one or two all year.

You'll have to use one of yours - I think I only have one left, so I need to be careful!! How many positive posts do I need to have before I start earning strikes back?

Moderators - please note that I used no expletives tonight even though this game deserved a few!!! Please give me a strike back......

Quote:
He's probably a better pitcher than he has shown, but you don't get to blow your first two chances during a pennant race that egregiously and stick around

He clearly doesnt have the "Balsfour" being a major league stopper. And Ned Yost should be kicked for putting him in another situation to blow a game when he has done NOTHING on this level yet.

Yost is in WAAAAY over his head.

How long will it take for him to figure out how to manage a pitching staff?

Balfour didn't lose this game.

Yost did. He continually makes the WRONG move and cost the players games.

Quote:
Answer: 2

Question: The number of players that have played on the Brewers from Australia that have no business in the major leagues. (Balfour and Durrington)

Dave Nilsson was pretty good.

A. Estrada's inability to hit a ball to the outfield when all we need is one run in an extra inning game.

B. Ball-four/Yost. I'm not faulting Yost for not bringing in Coco. However, unlike Villy the other day, Grant gave no indication he was going to get an out that inning. After the second walk and most certainly after the botched bunt play, you have to pull him.

That had to have been Balfour's last opportunity to do anything on this team this year - at least I hope so.

I can't jump all over Yost for not using Coco - he just pitched yesterday, plus there are still 7 more games this week...in 6 days. Plus, the way the offense was going gave no indication that the next inning would be the one they'd break through in.

It stinks they lost this game, but most of the blame HAS to go to an offense that managed to score 1 run in 12 innings against the Reds. i don't care that they had Harang pitching, the Brewers looked awful against anyone the Reds were throwing out there.

And Mr. Estrada, you are worthless!

For the silver lining, Mr. Capuano, you've deserved a better fate in the last two starts you've made - nice to have you back to pitching effectively!

---------------------

In theory, yes you pull him. But you can't warm somebody up in 20 seconds. You're also not planning on getting someone up to warm up when Balfour goes in because

A. it sends a terrible message to Balfour/confidence

B. You can't just warm up, cool off, warm up, cool off etc...

Yost managed a horrible game tonight...not only did he not use coco in the 12th after Balschmuck walked the first two, but I would have taken out Estrada after dogging down the line...yes, he would have most likely gotten out, but to dog it (which is starting to become a trend with Estrada) is just plain classless...the guys got no character to me.

Oh I'm upset!!!!!!!!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/pimp.gif

Quote:
Bruce, it's really by-the-book managing on that one. I don't fault Ned for not blowing through Coco in a non-GF situation.

Automator-

In pennant races when you are on the road, you place the pitcher in that gives you the best chance to win. After you go through those guys, you cross your fingers and pray.

Pinella definitely would have went for the win and pitched his best guys first and only when he would have to would he go to Scott Eyre. I have already seen it this year.

It is completely disgusting how incapable this team is at manufacturing runs. Just shows what will happen if we do indeed reach the post-season and have to face aaron harang quality pitchers in cold october weather (probably doesnt help that yost doesnt even attempt to manufacture runs). Does anyone else remember when Carlos Villanueva was our extra inning expert? Granted (no pun intended) he struggled in his last outting, I still certainly have more confidence in him then Grant Balfour....and if Yosts reason for not bringing him in is incase we have a blowup start tomorrow, hes an idiot.

Just another thought...Johnny Estrada shows exactly why OBP is a much more important stat than batting avg.

[ Does that make it right, in your opinion? ]

I'm more of a "use your closer when you need him" guy, but I'm also not a major league manager.

Yost gets torched by the fans when he goes against the grain, and torched when he goes with it. In this case, I'll say he didn't make a mistake, because he does the closer thing by the book.

Quote:
I don't understand why everyone thinks Coco should have pitched. In what inning do you use him? You can't blame that one on Yost.

Are we saving him for the 18th? How many innings do the likes of Balfour and Spurling give you before you stop rolling the dice?

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Archived