Brewer Fanatic

"Meat Hook" Young has weighty issue

Nats' Dmitri Young reported to camp weighing in just under 300 pounds this season. And now he was just given the sad news of being diagnosed as a diabetic and now Nats' officials are concerned and disappointed in his physical shape. Man, the entire Young family has had some issues the past few years (see: Delmon's 50-game Minor League suspension and recent trade to MN) and then "Meat Hook" had some legal issues in the past involving domestic disturbances, etc.
But being a diabetic in Major League Baseball can be considered a "kiss of death" for a career due to sugar outputs and inputs and when you factor in the length of a season and the unpredictability of how long a game can possibly be game-to-game, it could cause some health problems. Also factor in the weight he has put on. Does anyone believe this could hinder the remainder of his career?
According to the article, he takes insulin injections up to four times a day. That means that he will have to likely take an injection before AND after every game. I know how hard it is to be a diabetic since my Mother is one and she has to take an injection before bed every night and when she wakes up.

Given the fact that athletes do need a higher level of blood sugar output prior to games, it could become an issue. I have often heard that poor regulation of his/her diabetes could lead to a fatality. Here is a quote from Dmitri:

"There's so much about it I don't even know," Young told The Post. "I learn constantly when I meet people, things that they do to help manage it. I didn't even know that before I do any sort of physical activity, my blood sugar has to be well above 150, so when I do crash, I crash back to normal. It's a constant process."

Archived