Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost really loves him some coffee

PKBadger

Props to my friend who writes a blog called "The Yost Infection" for writing about this tidbit...hidden inside Monday's camp report on JSOnline:

Cactus Juice: In the game Sunday against the Angels, first baseman Prince Fielder's glove was knocked off by a hard, high liner. Fielder scrambled without his glove to pick up the ball and record the out. Asked what he thought of that play, manager Ned Yost had to admit that he didn't see it. "I was getting a cup of coffee (in the dugout)," said Yost, who drinks about 25 cups a day.

Yost got wind of this and blew up about it today (AP story):

"Why would you write that? I don't drink 25 cups of coffee a day," Yost said. "Maybe seven or eight or 10, but not 25. And why is that anybody's business, how many cups of coffee I drink? That's the stuff that (ticks) me off."

This entire ordeal makes me willing to forgive Ned for all his past transgressions, purely because of the comedic value of the story. It may also help explain some of his bonehead decisions and love for the "gritty battlers". Somebody needs to create a funny t-shirt for Opening Day centered around the coffee theme.

"Why would you write that?"

For the same reason WTMJ-TV kept harping on a "story", complete with teasers, featuring how Mike McCarthy pronounced "Glendale".

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Ten cups a day is still Henry Rollins' territory...that guy used to drink it by the pot back in his Black Flag days

You'd think a guy that dosed up on the bean would be more apt to take out pitchers right away, but caffeinated jumpiness maybe explains his eagerness to have McClung take a shot at Pujols in a crucial game

Ned, most of us that don't like you really, really want to like you. Just relax, and don't overthink things out there.

Yeah no kidding. Settle down, Ned it's not like they wrote you need 25 joints a day and it effects your ability to manage.

Here's the really scary thing - isn't coffee supposed to keep you "regular"? I can envision a scenario where Turnbow gives up 4 runs in an inning and Ned misses the Brewers half of the frame because he's in the clubhouse changing his pants.

"I was getting a cup of coffee (in the dugout),"

First of all -- They have coffee in the dugout? and if so can't some batboy or Gape Kapler get him a cup so he can focus on the game?

And why is that anybody's business, how many cups of coffee I drink? That's the stuff that (ticks) me off."

Ah, -- Ned -- you missed the play, because of your coffee addiction. You brought this on yourself. Furthermore why should it tick you off?

I'm on the case....

Even at 8 a.m., after his eighth cup of coffee, it's difficult to get Brewers manager Ned Yost to talk about anything other than his favorite topic: Today.

That was from a 2007 piece by McCalvy

I think it's safe to say that if you have downed 8 cups by 8AM -- you are probably closer to 20 than you are 7 or 8.

The Brewers lost, 10-4, in three hours and 19 minutes. Yost ran out of coffee in the dugout.

This was from a MLB recap 3/3

It's clearly impacting his performance. This also from the AP story:

It even caused him to miss a nice defensive gem earlier in the week when first baseman Prince Fielder had his glove knocked off yet he still made an out when he scooped up the ball and touched the base. Yost saw very little of a play he nonetheless deemed as great. "I was turned around pumping the coffee," Yost said. "I saw Prince cover first base and everybody was going nuts."

First of all -- They have coffee in the dugout? and if so can't some batboy or Gape Kapler get him a cup so he can focus on the game?

Nah, they probably put too much cream and sugar in it.

Maybe Ned should bring a thermos and keep it on the bench next to him.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

All I can think of is the horror the umpires must have to go through. No wonder Yost gets such a quick hook.

it would probably be like when kramer is all hopped up on the caffeine from the cafe lattes. talking super fast, can barely understand him, bouncing around, speed walking... hilarious!

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of his breath when he's right up in the umps face, but yeah, what you mentioned would make it that much worse.

Someone please hit me up with an image of Yost in an ump's face for a full effect. The image thing doesn't work on my work computer. I'm thinking the coffee thing could make for a good caption http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

OK, I suck at Photoshop, but I think we need to have some sort of contest here. I want to see what some of our graphic-design wizards can do with these pictures:

Throw Yost's face on this and put a retro logo on the shirt = high comedy

http://forum.wda-fr.org/images/uploads/Zurmff/Cornholio_165.jpg

http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/madrid/archives/Juan%20valdez%20cafe%20de%20colombia.jpg

Archived