Brewer Fanatic

Dmitri Young has diabetes

Big Reed

There was a short article about D Young on ESPN today. It said he now weighed 297+ pounds and had diabetes. I feel for the guy. but I can't figure out how a pro athlete can allow himself to get so out of shape. At some point in time, doesn't a pro athlete tell himself I have to start dieting and exercising or I'll lose my job? I am not an athlete and I can never see myself weighing that much. Did all that muscle just turn into flab? His coaches were very upset with his lack of conditioning when he came to camp. Does he believe he'll be able to work himself back into shape in Spring training? He is a heart attack waiting to happen. Do baseball players do nothing but eat in the off season?

something else that came to light in all of these steriods hearings was the testimony of a couple of doctors that said the drugs used to treat diabetes are also masking agents for HGH and steriods usage. They pointed out that testing programs should also test for insulin, because somebody who takes insulin is probably using it to mask the other drugs he is also taking.

After hearing the doctors talk about steriods and HGH , and then hearing that D Young is now proclaiming to have diabetes, I am led to speculate, that he really doesn't have diabetes, but is just saying he does so he can use the diabetes medication to mask the other medications/supplements he really is taking. And if he is randomly tested, he can say he's taking medication for his diabetes. The doctors pointed out what seemed to be an epidemic of baseball players claiming to have diabetes in the past 5 years.

On one hand I feel sorry for the guy, but on the other hand, I ask myself how dumb can he be to let his body grow so big and out of shape?

just some food for thought.

I thought I read about his diabetes some time ago. I also read somewhere earlier this offseason that Young was working at getting himself in better shape to play some OF this year because Nick Johnson was returning to play 1B.

Ron Santo played his entire career with juvenile diabetes. To suggest he "doesn't really have diabetes" is both insensitive and not well informed. Controlling diabetes is no easy task and to suggest he's doing it to cover PED's is ridiculous.

he had a tough year stretch a couple years back, had a messy divorce, which lead to poor play and his release from Detroit, and finally finding out he had Diabetes. I know you arent suppose to be condencending on here but it is pretty dumb to say he is faking something that has been well documented for the last couple years.

Controlling diabetes is no easy task and to suggest he's doing it to cover PED's is ridiculous.

Given that there have been tons of players to exploit diabetes meds, it really isn't ridiculous. I have to respectfully disagree with you guys. Perhaps in this particular case, Reed isn't correct, but it's not like this is some wild theory with no backup.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

first, why is this on the TRANSACTIONS board?

second,

insulin can be a PED, but it's used by bodybuilders to lean out. However, if he's really fat that TOTALLY supports the diabetes case. It's insensitive to blame a guy with diabetes for getting fat. It's not in his best interest, clearly, but they often happen together.

I placed it on the rumors and transactions forum. I thought you were supposed to post rumors there. And my post was a rumor. I didn't say he was faking having diabetes. I said I'm speculating he's lieing about having diabetes and taking the insulin or other diabetic drug to hide his peds use. there is a very big difference We have as much proof that D Young has diabetes as we have proof that he's been taking peds. Trainers never lie, do they? Players certainly never lie. What is factual is the testimony of several doctors at the latest congressional hearing that many athletes are indeed faking having diabetes and taking the insulin as a masking agent. their testimony was that if you test athletes for insulin, you will more than likely also find some other supplements being used by that athlete. their testimony was that insulin is a great masking agent. those same two doctors also testified that there has been an astronomical increase in the amount of athletes in the past 5 years that have claimed to have diabetes and were receiving prescribed medication for it. Their claims are that athletes are lieing about having diabetes in order to mask their other drug intakes. What I'm saying is it's very hard for me to believe any athlete is telling the truth anymore. Would anybody here be shocked if D Young tested positive for peds in the last 3 years? Who is to say that D Young is telling the truth about his diabetes? D Young? I'm saying it sounds a bit too convient for an athlete to openly declare to the world he has diabetes. To me it's as if D young is saying in advance, if you find any traces of peds, it must be from medication I' m taking for my diabetes. To me, D young is a little too honest and forthcoming - a very uncommon trait among baseball players. that's what makes me think he's hiding something. if D Young came forward and said he had cancer, would everybody just believe him without speculating he might be lieing about it? That's why I started this thread in the rumors forum. My post is not based on fact, but purely on speculation. You don't have to inform me about diabetes. My doctor has already done so. I'm over 50. My mom had diabetes. my brother has diabetes.

To me, D young is a little too honest and forthcoming - a very uncommon trait among baseball players. that's what makes me think he's hiding something.

So . . . what wouldn't be suspicious? If he was evasive and sneaky?

normally i am skeptical too, but geez the guy had a nightmare year that no one deserves. He had a horrible divorce, got fired and found out he had a life threating disease, i think he has earned some credibility.

ok, maybe he's clean. but many are not. and many have been lieing through their teeth for over 15 years. How many more times is Andy Pettite going to admit he took peds on just one occasion? for the most part, major league baseball players never admit to anything. When a guy like D Young comes out and publicaly admits he has diabetes, you have to wonder what made him do so? Who forced him to do so? Ron Santo had diabetes for a long time before he publically admitted it. baseball players usually never come forward with their peersonal flaws unless somebody is about to expose them. When a player publically admits to something, I become suspicious.

As for having diabetes, there are two kinds. The first is the childhood type that stays with you forever. The second is the type that old and fat people get. Part of the treatment for the second type is dieting and exercise. Which type does D Young have? I would speculate the second type. I don't know for sure.

D young earlier said he was going to work out during the off season and possibly play in the outfield. Looking at him now, that seems like a total lie.

Without people like me. other people would still believe that McGuire, Sosa and Bonds hit all of their home runs without the assistance of any peds. Many people still believe that to be true. my thought process is if something looks amiss or unfounded, there is usually a different reason involved. Columbus speculated the world was round. Bill Gates speculated people would choose windows over apples. Little boys speculate the moon is made of cheese, and that's where cheesemen come from. You can't always be right.

This was a huge "redemption" story for him a year ago. He was out of baseball, and he was near death with diabetes. I recall them saying that he wasn't supposed to live, or something of that nature. He got himself back in shape for the season, and it was one of those "baseball saved my life" stories. I don't think it got a ton of play because he was in DC, but I recall Sportscenter hanging onto it for a few days. This isn't a sudden declaration, its an old story, here is a link to one of the recaps story

my thought process is if something looks amiss or unfounded, there is usually a different reason involved.

I would hardly classify a ~300 lb., 34 year old developing type 2 diabetes as 'amiss or unfounded.' I'd say it's probably more unfounded to assume that someone on the brink of a diabetic coma was actually faking it.

My doctor tells me Type 2 diabetes is now his most common diagnosis. Things have changed so much that they've had to rename them Type 1 and Type 2 instead of Juvenile Diabetes and Adult Onset Diabetes...because "Adult Onset" is now commonly seen in teenagers.

Obesity is the culprit, and unfortunately, Dmitri fits the description, David Wells is dealing with it too.

ok, maybe he's clean. but many are not. and many have been lieing through their teeth for over 15 years.

I don't know why the reaction is so strong against Big Reed's concern. It's not like players have given no reason to be skeptical - it's not Reed's fault. Real or not (obv. the former), Young's case here is a good example of some of the damage done to credibility by the abuse of PEDs & masking agents.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Just from a stats perspective, I look at three guys - D Young, Carlos Pena , and Jermaine Dye. All three came out of nowhere to have solid powerful (homers) seasons. Dye has already been caught buying peds. looking at their stats, one is led to believe the other two were also probably using something last year.

the Mitchell report only uncovered the players who were dealing with the guy out of New York and a couple of places in Florida. One has to speculate that the main streams of drugs come through Miami, the west coast and the Caribean. One has to speculate the mitchell report probably named 20% of the actual peds users.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe what baseball players say anymore. I also can't believe what Bud Selig says anymore. the recent Bonds transcripts point to the fact that Bonds actually did test positive and more than once. yet Bud Selig never said publically bonds ever tested positive and bud took no action after the second positive test. Selig is lyeing just as much as bonds in his efforts to deceive the public and paint a rosier picture. I'd like to believe Young. but baseball players, are becoming too much like politicians.

I saw brett favre's retirement speech. There were many things he didn't say that he probably could have. Favre didn't point out how much money the packers have saved in the past 3 years because TT refused to go after top line free agents. favre probably asked Tt if he was going to go after any quality free agents this year, and when Tt said no, favre knew TT wasn't interested in making a championship run, so he quit. Moss wanted a guarantee that favre would be around for 2 more years. Most people expected favre to be around for at least one. But Tt knew favre was not going to be around for 2. That was probably news to favre. favre said all the right things at his retirement press conference. but there were probably many other things he knew about and decided not to say.

Hank Aaron went through hell his last two years as a brave. but he never revealed to the public all the death threats he received until long after he retired. For the good of the game, he kept quiet and held it all inside.

That's why it's become very hard for me to believe any pro athlete or owner or ESPN. they say only what they believe you want to hear. they seldom reveal the entire story or the real truth.

baseball may have saved D Young's life. But I have to believe he was taking something else besides his insulin shots and wheaties last year. baseball has stolen my trust.

Did Young say he is taking insulin upon being recently diagnosed? With type2 you do not start off taking insulin; only if oral and exercise do not get your A1C count down to a reasonable number, usually below 7.0 (And, I regret being called old and fat. I got it due to the fact my mother was diabetic and I was only 43 when I was diagnosed with Type2)

Archived