Brewer Fanatic

Baseball game for 360?

aracko
Anyone played the new game for the 360? I think its MLB2K8 but for some reason I am not clicking on all cylinders today. I am just curious how the game is and if its worth me goign to get it today?

I have it. I am not sure what to think of it. The new pitching is really difficult. You have to mimic the way the pitch you are trying to throw on the controller. It really takes some getting used to. They have revamped all the throwing, baserunning and hitting too. That being said you can go back to last years controls which were very simple. The animations are better and the defense (a huge problem with fielding ground balls and pop flys) is greatly improved. I have to play it some more to know for sure whether or not I am into it but my first reaction is wow this is difficult but it is different from any other baseball game I have ever played.

The new pitching is horrible. I changed it back to Precision Pitching ('07) almost immediately. I gave up 13 runs and about 9 home runs in the first inning on pro with the new pitching. I found the game once more enjoyable with Precision as well as the great detail of animation put into it like the jerseys swaying in the wind and the breath of players when its cold. Offense takes a lot of getting use to time wise. I've only scored 5 runs in 15 innings so far, but I'm 3-0 in my franchise so it's all good. This game is no MVP '05, but it's the best game out there for 360 so I highly reccommend it.

They have revamped all the throwing, baserunning and hitting too.

From what I can tell, the revamped baserunning is basically just like how it was re-done for The Show (obv. you can just use the 'classic' style, though).

I, for one, am a huge fan of the throwing style that they've added. It's essentially the same as MVP once they started just making the college game. You hold an analog stick in the direction of the intended base/target, and have to release the stick when you're satisfied with how full the throwing meter is. Too little power, it's going to short-hop the target... too much, and you'll airmail the throw or hot-spike it at the target's feet. It's a pretty fun way (imo) to throw.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am not getting another baseball game for 360 untill EA can make MLB games again. My main gripe with the 2K series was the season/franchise stuff. I don't like that you have to work within a set budget without the option of turning it on or off. I also don't like dealing with anything other than players/rosters during seasons. Having to adjust ticket prices and all the other stuff was just annoying. If you don't, you don't make money and can't sign players. If the new 2k makes this stuff optional then I might buy it. I just want to play games without having to worry about all the extra crap.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

logan3825[/b]]I am not getting another baseball game for 360 untill EA can make MLB games again.

The worst thing that has happened to all of these games is the fact that there is no competion since 2K bought the exclusive MLB rights. It's the same way with Madden getting crappier and crappier every year. The hot rumor is that EA may buy Take-two (2K sports) and have absolutely no reason to improve their sports games ever again...

But isn't that addressed by simply switching back to the 'classic' mode? It seems unfair to fail to reward the developers for their forsight in not just scrapping the old style entirely.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

jlau20 wrote:

That's fine though. EA doesn't need to improve its baseball game...Just take MVP 2005 and give me new, updated rosters and I'm set.

My thoughts exactly. Crap, one line post.. must add something. Sorry I got nothing. MVP '05 was the pinnacle of baseball games.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'll second (or third) the MVP '05 point. But I've been playing 2k8 for xbox a bit today. I struck out my first guy with the new pitching but then proceeded to give up something like 12 runs before turning it off. I switched back to the precision pitching and still didn't have much luck, giving up something like 9 runs. Then I figured I'd give the new pitching another shot to get used to. Well my second game (my first full-game) I ended up shutting out the Cubs with Yovani going 7 innings with 4 k's. I actually really like the new pitching because it's more than just holding down a button. Every now and then a pitcher makes a mistake (like real life) and throws up a meatball.

I don't really like the hitting with the analog stick because it's hard to get the timing down and it hurts my thumb. I also don't like the throwing because the analog stick is too sensitive. One wrong slip and you're screwed. So I switched both of those back to the classic way. The only problems I've had so far are on defense. I've only played a few games but in one, I'd have my player in position under the ball and it would just land a few feet behind him. I don't know if it was because of the wind or what. You also have to call off other players or they will run into you. Braun and Cameron collided on a routine fly ball to left. And I hope this isn't signs of things to come but Braun had a couple of errors and a few misplays in one of my games.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I'm on board with MVP 2005 as well. Not sure why I never played it, but I'm playing it on the PC with the Total Conversion 07 rosters right now. 08 should come out sometime in the near future. It plays a nearly flawless game of baseball.

While I don't necessarily like to play games on the PC, none of the last three 2K games even come close. I highly reccommend MVP 2005 on the PC with all the updated rosters/stadiums/etc to anyone that wants to play a great game of baseball.

So I gave it some time and played for about an hour and a half before I really got the control of the game down. I played the Cardinals and beat them pretty good on rookie. The pitching although really difficult at first is really fun to do once you get the hang of it. Also as far as batting goes, it is really important to get your step down correctly and hit the way the pitch comes at you (outside pitch to the opposite field, inside pitch pulled etc.) I really like the game now. The graphics are awesome and the gameplay is very realistic with the Total Control mode. If it frustrates you at first just keep going with it and eventually it will start to come naturally.

I'm very skittish about buying 2K8, but that's my only option, as I only have a 360. I looked at the ratings of players and they were HORRENDOUS (I know that's not a huge deal, but it clearly shows a lack of true passion about the game when your rating system is that lazy), and the gameplay videos don't blow me away either. I'm sure I'll buckle and buy it, but hopefully I can hold out for it to drop in price a bit before I take the plunge.

whatever this means :

As owners of MLB 2K8 know, there is currently an issue with framerate which is being worked on. Until the fix is put in place, here is the work-around so that you can play the game as it is intended to be played. The temporary fix takes just a second of your time, but we do apologize for any inconvenience.

For Xbox 360:

- Sign out of your Xbox 360 profile by hitting the Xbox Guide button (the center button with the large green X), and pressing the blue X button.

- You can still save your franchise by signing back in to the gamer profile before attempting to save in the franchise menu. Simply press the Xbox Guide button (the center button with the large green X), select "Sign In," and select the gamer profile you wish to save the franchise to. You will need to sign back out prior to playing another game if you wish to alleviate the framerate problems currently being experienced.

Thank you for your patience while we resolve this issue in a better manner,

Blue-Lightning

2K Sports Moderator

We're on a mission from God.

- Elwood Blues

Gamertag: BlueLightningTN

John 3:17 - God didn't send His Son to condemn the world, but that through Him, the world might be saved.

whatever this means :

As owners of MLB 2K8 know, there is currently an issue with framerate which is being worked on. Until the fix is put in place, here is the work-around so that you can play the game as it is intended to be played. The temporary fix takes just a second of your time, but we do apologize for any inconvenience.

For Xbox 360:

- Sign out of your Xbox 360 profile by hitting the Xbox Guide button (the center button with the large green X), and pressing the blue X button.

- You can still save your franchise by signing back in to the gamer profile before attempting to save in the franchise menu. Simply press the Xbox Guide button (the center button with the large green X), select "Sign In," and select the gamer profile you wish to save the franchise to. You will need to sign back out prior to playing another game if you wish to alleviate the framerate problems currently being experienced.

Thank you for your patience while we resolve this issue in a better manner,

Blue-Lightning

2K Sports Moderator

That is why games should not be rushed out simply to meet deadlines. I'd much rather wait a few days (or a week or two) for an issue to be resolved and to play the game it was intended to be presented than play a stilted version of that game. Maybe it's just me. = S

My main gripe with 2k8 is the small text, other than that I'm liking it much more than 2k7. I like the new pitching and throwing systems quite a bit... the hitting doesn't seem overly different from last years game, besides less home runs on my end.

I gave MLB 2K8 a rent this weekend on the 360 and was disappointed from the start. I'm looking for those of you that like it quite a bit to sell me on it.

Each year before/after our fantasy baseball draft we like to play the homerun derby, so I started with that. For some reason they really moved the camera angle back this year and you can barely see what's going on. And of course you can't change the camera angle. Small gripe, and I'll admit that, but it makes me want to grab 2K7 for my derby needs.

Now over to the real game. The graphics looked horrible. I almost ran out to grab 2K7 to compare. Anyone else think this? I mean, it seemed really terrible, and if I'm noticing I'm guessing there is a reason.

I gave the new pitching system a whirl, but since I can't see the shapes I'm drawing on the right stick, it seems like a waste of time. Am I missing something here? I read comments about everyone throwing meatballs and figured it was just a matter of practice, but it doesn't seem worth the learning curve.

With hitting, at least you can adjust your timing. I was horribly late for the first few ABs then started to get my timing down.

Anyway, as I stated, I'm looking for you guys out there that really like this game to give me some advice. I'm looking at sitting back down with updated MVP 05 on the PC instead.

I was an MVP guy and, until I played The Show '08 on the PS3, I considered it the best sports game I'd played.

I'm not a huge gamer outside of sports titles, but if you're like me and you love playing baseball games, pick up a PS3 and The Show.

Archived