Brewer Fanatic

7/26/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Reds (Livingston) 11:35 AM CDT

hawing

It's not that players don't need days off throughout the season, I agree they do...it's bunching all these days off together that irks me. It's like it's day off week in the middle of a road trip where the team is in danger of losing a series to the freaking Reds. I don't get that.

Furthermore, and this is just a thought of mine, no fact or anything like that, but I could see Ned Yost defending this sitting players in the same time period by saying something along the lines of: "You don't want to sit your guys when you're winning or playing well."

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the summer I play softball sun, 2x on tues, wed, and thurs, on the days that I don't play softball I play baseball 2 or 3 times a week. After sundays softball or baseball game I play tennis for 2-3 hrs a night. This starts in april and goes til the end of fall. I would easily be happy to be able to play sports for a living.

now softball isn't the same as a baseball game, but I would be willing to bet I run just as much if not more than anyone on the infield does in a baseball game.

I hope you are kidding here. You don't travel, take BP everyday for a hour or two, take infield daily with hundreds of throws, play baseball over a 10 month period, etc.. This is why I really dislike it when people argue about managing or playing the game. Trying to compare these things is not even close but they are still made. We can't play or manage. If anyone could, why are you working your job and not making millions hanging out in a dugout?

I can't believe Ned is actually sitting Prince.....his ineptitude never seems to amaze me. I guess he needs a "mental" break too. Hall is back now....is it too much to ask for our full lineup for the 1st time in over a month? It's almost like he's doing it to spite the fans. Unbelievable. A little sense of urgency please?

And since when does "benched" = "leadoff"?.....Corey Hart goes in a 10 day slump and all of the great time he spent in the lead off spot might has well never have happened. Hey Ned: Rickie isn't going to snap out of it; not this year, maybe never.

Here's to another 3 run offensive explosion and a 5-3 loss. I hate Ned Yost.

I guess my point is that the Brewers' (more or less) optimal lineup would be:

C. Estrada

1B. Fielder

2B. Weeks

3B. Braun

SS. Hardy

LF. Mench / or Jenkins

CF. Hall

RF. Hart

Pitcher

According to Baseball-Reference, Ned has used this iteration -- with Mench -- 5 times all season. (I think the Jenkins iteration must have been used less than 4 times.)

We can't play or manage. If anyone could, why are you working your job and not making millions hanging out in a dugout

because I'm not good enough to play at their level. and no i'm not kidding. I make thousands of throws a year, my arm is about to fall off. when these guys get hurt or even if they are hurting they have people to help them out. massage them. sure they have to go on the road and that has to suck to be away from their family. but its not like they are roughing it. they pack a suit case and everything else is done for them.

but just because people aren't good enough to play pro, doesn't mean they don't play as much as they do. There are guys that I play with that play every day of the week including weekends. and just because its softball doesn't mean that you dont run as much, or throw as much or take balls of your shoulders or somewhere on their body. if anything softball players take more balls of their bodies in a hr then a baseball player takes in a week.

giving up a solo homerun in GABP isn't the end of the world.

in fact, someone should tell the Brewers' offense that they've scored a grand total of 8 runs in 29 innings so far in GABP, against one of the worst pitching staffs in all of baseball.

time for the hitters to start looking like hitters, please...

------------------

I can't believe some fools actually think sitting Prince in this situation is a good move. This is a big game. Losing 3 of 4 to the Reds (which would make it 8 of 11 vs the Pirates, Reds & Nats) is not something that playoff teams do. The eternal optimism is amusing. I can't wait to hear some of the replies after another loss in which they manage to squeak out another 3 runs. Take off the blinders.

but just because people aren't good enough to play pro, doesn't mean they don't play as much as they do. There are guys that I play with that play every day of the week including weekends. and just because its softball doesn't mean that you dont run as much, or throw as much or take balls of your shoulders or somewhere on their body. if anything softball players take more balls of their bodies in a hr then a baseball player takes in a week.

This is what I am talking about. You do NOT play as much as they do. They hit, field, and play for about 5 hours a day or more depending on the guy. This goes on for 10 months or so. You play softball for 50 minutes and make some throws. Hardball a couple times a week is also not going to add up. And if you are taking more balls off the body than them, you should find a new position.

Since when is being young translate to needing days off? I thought old guys needed days off. Yost apologists are unbelievable. The lead is evaporating. Our best players are sitting. We have been struggling on offense. And the two sure things in the lineup have now sat in back to back games. Give me a break, the pathetic defense of Ned is just a joke.

I can't believe some fools actually think sitting Prince in this situation is a good move. This is a big game. Losing 3 of 4 to the Reds (which would make it 8 of 11 vs the Pirates, Reds & Nats) is not something that playoff teams do. The eternal optimism is amusing. I can't wait to hear some of the replies after another loss in which they manage to squeak out another 3 runs. Take off the blinders.

First of all, everyone needs to settle down a little bit. It is great that we are this passionate about our team and its even better that they are playing well this season. However, we can't expect our best players to play every game. Our team is young and most of them have not played full seasons in the MLB yet in their careers. If we want everyone fresh and HEALTHY for the playoffs, we need to give them regular time off. It is true, we are in a funk right now and the Cubbies are playing great, but the Brewers are a good team and they will play their way out of this. The Cubs are good too, but they aren't this good. It will be a race and very exciting to be a part of.

Quote:

Prince played Monday night and Wednesday night. How did those games go?

This is .6% of our season. What's more important than today is making sure guys are fresh for a tough series this weekend and the other 55 or whatever games are left after that.

And if we can't beat the Reds, who are starting a lefty, without Prince in the lineup, we're probably screwed, anyway.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

According to Baseball-Reference, Ned has used this iteration -- with Mench -- 5 times all season. (I think the Jenkins iteration must have been used less than 4 times.)

I'm sorry, I know guys need rest, but that's ridiculous. Nothing like coming out of the clubhouse at 85% everyday because somebody is always out of the lineup. It's like a rotating DL.

Archived