Brewer Fanatic

7/26/07 Brewers (Bush) @ Reds (Livingston) 11:35 AM CDT

hawing
  • Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no problem with Prince taking a day off today. I just don't like "JV" lineups like last night when there are 3 regulars (not to mention the usual numbers 1, 2, and 3 guys in the order) out of the lineup on the same night (not counting Estrada).

Prince does not need a day off.

And you know this how? The guy has played all but two games this season, I find it hard to believe Ned would sit him if he didn't think it would be beneficial. Prince needs a day off sometime. Everyone will now be rested for the Cards series this weekend.

Quote:
Prince does not need a day off.

Please. The guy is 6 for his last 16 and one of the only guys in the lineup who is hitting at all. Yost is out of his mind sitting Braun and Fielder in back to back games while his lead is vanishing.

Does Piniella give Lee or Ramirez or Soriano days off?

Answer: No.

Prince might not need TODAY off, but without today off he will need a day off soon. He's young and has not had very many off days. This is the smart thing to do giving him a day off against a lefty before 5 games in 4 days against the Cards.

As for the Cubs, we aren't the cubs. Nor should we strive to be. They are hardly the model for success as to how to make the post season and win world series.

For what it's worth, Lee just had 5 days off (although they weren't Pinella's choice.).

Ramirez had July 21st, July 27th, July 3rd, and July 18th off.

As for Soriano. He hasn't had any days off since he came back from injury, but he did miss 8 games in April with the injury so he still hasn't played as many games as Prince.

Just don't spout out general statements (Pinella never gives days off) without at least having a clue if you are right or not.

Ramirez has had days off, but you just don't notice them because you don't psychoanalyze Pinella like you do Yost because they aren't your team of choice.

I had a huge problem sitting three regulars last night. No such problem sitting one regular today.

You can talk about Ned "babying" these guys, but you won't have the same attitude when Prince is worn out and can't get it going in a playoff series. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Stop babying these guys.

it's smart managing. Few players can go 162 games. While I haven't checked the weather lately, summer heat and humidity can be awful in Cinci and St. Louis. This should help Prince for the weekend.

And I can't believe people are still complaining Braun sat, seeing as he's hurt!

And I can't believe people are still complaining Braun sat, seeing as he's hurt!

Braun isn't hurt. He PH last night and was OK to play. Plus he is back in the line up today. It was rest but for some reason every time someone sits because of rest they spin it and say they are hurting.

Quote:
If Fielder is indeed an MVP, he should play every day. Period.

Stop babying these guys.

So when Ryan Howard started 157 games last year (with about 1 day off a month) he shouldn't have won the MVP award?

So Albert Pujols shouldn't have won the MVP in 2005 when he only started 154 games?

So Barry Bonds shouldn't have won the MVP in 2004 when he made 140 starts?

I could keep going as Bonds won 3 in a row and rarely played more than 140 games....

Maybe the argument could be mad that these guys won the MVP award because they were FRESH ENOUGH to put up big numbers.

Fact:

Soriano has started every Cub game since April 25th when he was held out on a rainy day at Wrigley because he was still nursing a tender hammy.

Derek Lee has started every Cub game all year other than his suspension except 3 or 4 in May when he had a slight injury.

Aramis Ramirez started every Cub game that he was not on the DL but one on June 27th when he was still a little sore.

Why don't you work 29 days a month?

if i was playing baseball I would easily be willing to play 29 days in a row, working at my job now, not so much.

Like I said, I would like the full line up to play, needing to split the series. but giving 1 guy off is ok, giving half the line up a day off isn't.

If Weeks is healthy, I'd honestly want him to bat leadoff the rest of the season and move Hart down to the #5 or #6 spot in the lineup, depending on where Hall bats.

There is little proof of what I'm about to say other than Weeks' recent OBP surge - I think Weeks is primed to have a breakout two months to end this season, especially if his wrist is as healthy as what everyone associated with the team is says it is. His timing at the plate over the past week seems much better, and he's been making solid contact pretty consistently.

-------------------------

Quote:
Aramis Ramirez started every Cub game that he was not on the DL but one on June 27th when he was still a little sore.

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pl...yerId=3853

You already mentioned the June 27th game where he didn't start.

So on July 3rd did he have 4 Sac Bunts? The Cubs lost 3-1 and he had 0 AB's.

So on June 30th against the Brewers he was 1-for-1 against the Brewers with zero walks. Again, 3 Sac bunts?

So on July 18th against SF he was 0-0 with 0 walks, again, did he have 4 Sac bunts?

I didn't realize Ramirez was such a bunting machine.

The two that worry me the most are Hardy and Hart. What's the most number of games they've played in a single season at any level?

18 games in 17 days. Thats a tough stretch. So I don't mind the days off. Just seems like Ned has a propensity to give a lot of the players the same day off. Mix it up a little.

For example...Give Hardy a day off against a soft tossing lefty who pounds the outside corner. Against hard throwing lefties yes, play him. But his desire to pull the ball seems to be a hard negative against the Shane Youman's off the world. But play Hart and Braun those days no matter what.

Just mix it up.

Dave Bush has been nothing but consistent for about 2 months now. Keep it up kid. Besides Soup, I'm actually very pleased with the rotation of late. Capuano has looked like the Cappy of 2005 and the 1st half of 2006 in his last 2 starts. Yo is Yo even when he doesnt have his best stuff...as we saw on Tuesday. Vargas just keeps winning and Bush is riding a wave of quality starts.

Look if a guy is really scuffling, I'm all for giving him a day off especially if the rest of the team is going well. But Prince isn't scuffling and neither is Braun while pretty much the rest of the team is. That plus the fact they are just 2 weeks removed from the All Star break which for Braun was 4 days and Fielder 2 days.

Hart, Hardy, and the rest are key guys but not the studs. Braun and Fielder are studs, the guys opposing pitchers look ahead at. Why make their jobs so much easier by taking either guy out of the lineup?

[ Soriano has started every Cub game since April 25th when he was held out on a rainy day at Wrigley because he was still nursing a tender hammy.

Derek Lee has started every Cub game all year other than his suspension except 3 or 4 in May when he had a slight injury.

Aramis Ramirez started every Cub game that he was not on the DL but one on June 27th when he was still a little sore. ]

How do we know Prince isn't "a little sore"? I think you're making an assumption based off the very limited information we, as fans, get compared to the very detailed information that Prince and Yost have.

18 games in 17 days. Thats a tough stretch. So I don't mind the days off. Just seems like Ned has a propensity to give a lot of the players the same day off. Mix it up a little.

This is the biggest beef that I have with Yost's lineups. Young players have to have days off during this part of the season - especially ones that injury or lack of experience has prevented from going through an entire MLB season. The problem with how Yost handles his roster is that he'll play all the regulars 5 games in a row, and then seemingly empty his bench for the 6th game to give as many people an off day as possible. That keeps the bench players from getting consistent ABs, which sets the team up to fail when they get their opportunitiy all in the same game, and it also affects the regulars' energy level when they all get to that 4th and 5th game played in a row.

The Brewers' bench has enough depth throughout to be able to give a regular an off day for each game, and replace him with a bench player that won't kill the lineup on a given day. There really isn't a reason why there should be more than 2 everyday players out of the lineup in any game.

--------------------

Last night's lineup made me want to kick dirt in Ned's general direction. Today looks much better, even without Prince. Assuming the game is competitive, I'd be surprised if we didn't see him come off the bench in the late innings to hit anyway. What are the Reds going to do, bring in Stanton? Muah ha ha ha!!

Archived