Brewer Fanatic

The Show '08

Chkyhks2and0
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Good to see The Show 08 still has the phantom check-swing, and b.s. pickoffs - you know, the ones where you're frantically tapping R1 as the pitcher is turning slowly. Yeah, Cameron wouldn't ever get picked off by that throw. Come on.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

LOL, yeah some of the annoying Show staples are still there. What I hate is they've pretty much made it impossible to drag bunt this year as to where last year it was easy. I just played an epic 20 inning game against the Mets mostly due to that. Twice in extra innings I instructed my batter to bunt and both times he failed to even ATTEMPT as I'm mashing the bunt button, leaving the runner out to dry.

Overall I struck out the Mets 25 times and won on a Bill Hall RBI single which scored Prince Fielder. The funniest part of all was that I decided to pinch hit Jeff Suppan instead of J.J. Hardy with two outs after Fielder singled and Suppan drew a walk, getting Hall to the plate. It was also funny I pretty much left Guillermo Mota on the mound to either win or lose the game and he pitched 5 innings with 7 strikeouts.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

How do you get a free hat? I looked through the booklets I got with the game and none of them say anything about a hat.

I believe it only applies to the PS3 version. I'm guessing you have PS2? I thought the same thing when I opened mine, but looking into it the website says it's only for PS3 so no hat this year.

Has anyone else noticed that it's not as easy to hit home runs this year? I think this is a good thing, but I'm wondering if I just stink with my power so far.

some more grips

- the load times kill me

- i played 110 games in the majors, batted .343 6 HRS and 45 RBI and at the end of the season i get offered the starting job in AA.

- Fielding, arm and Durability seem to be the most important thing that you have to accomplish.

- You are told to run on a hit and run, the batter flys out and you fail the Goal, how does that make sense?

Odd how the organization would rather promote a backup catcher with a .218 AVG and 1 HR to AAA rather than the starting catcher who has a .443 AVG and 28 HR (and pretty much leading the league in every other offensive category).

Good to see The Show 08 still has the phantom check-swing, and b.s. pickoffs - you know, the ones where you're frantically tapping R1 as the pitcher is turning slowly. Yeah, Cameron wouldn't ever get picked off by that throw. Come on.

Don't have this year's game, but '07 was terrible about that. My individual player got picked off much more than any MLB team does.

What I hate is they've pretty much made it impossible to drag bunt this year as to where last year it was easy.

I don't agree with the statement to that extreme, but to be fair, I really only bunt with pitchers. I did, though, lay down a beaut' with TGJ as a pinch-hitter - I didn't notice Aramis was playing in on the bunt, but he still only got Tony by a half-step. I think it's a bit tougher, but the player's skill at the task plays a larger role this year, imo.

Also, I was really disappointed that my 9th-inning 2-run shot by J.J. at Wrigley didn't get thrown back. The crowd was even chanting "Throw it back..." Alas, PS2 is not nearly as cool as PS3. Remember when PS2 was the mack-daddio? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'd faced the old 'b.s. game' factors in this one (exhibition game) against Zambrano, including him pegging two different batters as a part of game strategy - as in, no, these were not just missed pitches. He beaned Prince with 1B open in the 1st inning, and then tapped Hardy to get to Sheets with the bases loaded & two outs (J.J. loaded the bases). Yet when I plunked Z with Benny in the 6th inning, Ben was run without hesitation. My nice swings had almost all been right at their fielders, until J.J. took a Dempster pitch 397 ft. to RC.

Gagne was nice, and so was Riske... it was surreal to recognize just how much better our 'pen is likely to be this year.

Has anyone seen the ball being thrown back at Wrigley in the PS2 version? I've only hit 2 there so far (in road to the show) and I can hear the "throw it back" chants, but the ball never gets tossed...anyone?

Also, I assume most of you that are in the RTTS are using the Brewers, have you noticed that the team get ripped apart? I'm in the 2010 season and Fielder, Hardy and Sheets have all been traded. I hardly recognize anyone on the roster and it's only 2 years from now....it makes playing the game not so fun....

Has anyone else noticed that it's not as easy to hit home runs this year? I think this is a good thing, but I'm wondering if I just stink with my power so far.

It is definitely harder to hit home runs this year. It is a good thing, but kind of frustrating when you get a 4-seamer right down the middle and you fail to crush it 9 times out of 10. Realistic as that may be, it is still frustrating, lol.

What I hate is they've pretty much made it impossible to drag bunt this year as to where last year it was easy.

I don't agree with the statement to that extreme, but to be fair, I really only bunt with pitchers. I did, though, lay down a beaut' with TGJ as a pinch-hitter - I didn't notice Aramis was playing in on the bunt, but he still only got Tony by a half-step. I think it's a bit tougher, but the player's skill at the task plays a larger role this year, imo.

For the most part standard bunting is fine, but drag bunting has given me fits as to where last year I could drag bunt for base hits all I wanted with guys like Corey Hart and Craig Counsell. Now when I try to drag bunt the guy doesn't even take the bat off of his shoulder.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

drag bunting has given me fits as to where last year I could drag bunt for base hits all I wanted with guys like Corey Hart and Craig Counsell. Now when I try to drag bunt the guy doesn't even take the bat off of his shoulder.

Hmm. I wonder if it's based more on split-second timing now than it was in the past. I know I just quickly pressed the "O" button just about as the pitch was on me, and it was a beauty - if Ramirez hadn't been playing in, no way TGJ wasn't easily safe.

EDIT: I have never been able to drag-bunt well on The Show ('06 or '07) before, for whatever that's worth.

I used to drag bunt all the time on '07. When I played with the Brewers, TGJ could pretty much get on whenever he wanted by laying down a drag bunt. My RTTS player would go on 30 game hitting streaks because I would get to his last at-bat without a hit and just lay down a drag bunt. He wasn't very good at drag bunting, but he was really fast, and that seemed to be all that mattered in last year's game. I agree that it does seem harder for the '08 game. As someone mentioned before, I think they base it much more of drag bunting ability than they did last year.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I believe it only applies to the PS3 version. I'm guessing you have PS2? I thought the same thing when I opened mine, but looking into it the website says it's only for PS3 so no hat this year.

I have the ps3 version and didn't see anything. I am a little disappointed because I need a new hat. Is it just a coupon in there telling me where to go to get my hat?

You can also mess with the game play sliders to get more home runs. I can't see to find a good balance though. I either hit too many or too few.

• 5 weeks later...
Is anyone else having the problem where prospects are being trained more on power than contact? It seems like even the new prospects and draft picks come into the league with a ton of power but no contact ability, and even though I max out training $ on both contact and power, they always seem to gain points in power at twice the rate of contact. Any solutions?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I recently bought PS3 and started playing online yesterday. I beat the Padres and Jake Peavy controlled by a guy who was 18-8 with Ben Sheets, so that was a lot of fun. I get the feeling I'll be playing online a lot.

I'm thinking about picking this up for PS2 pretty soon, like maybe this week yet. Would love to get a PS3 and get this, but I can't really justify the cost right now, plus I hear there may be some upgrades to the PS3 coming soon anyway, so it makes more sense to wait?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Just threw my first perfect game, ever. Kazmir w/8 Ks @ Washington's new stadium. I only played the game to check out Nationals Park. Neato.

Congrats! I'm still waiting for one of those...

My main complaint so far with the game is on plays at first where the pitcher needs to cover. He's usually way too slow to get over. Pretty much any slow chopper to first by a guy with decent speed is a hit, and you can forget about the 3-6-1 double plays.

Overall though, good game. A good improvment over '07, imo.

This game is kicking my "I rule at video games" self esteem. I am through 20 games and have only hit 12 homers. That is just killing me!! Even worse is the fact that I have lost 3 games and have a team era of around 3.90...on a freaking video game!

Oh yeah, one other thing. Why do my players need days off so often? My guys usually go the full 162 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

This game is kicking my "I rule at video games" self esteem. I am through 20 games and have only hit 12 homers. That is just killing me!! Even worse is the fact that I have lost 3 games and have a team era of around 3.90...on a freaking video game!

Oh yeah, one other thing. Why do my players need days off so often? My guys usually go the full 162 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Last year it was easy to hit home runs with the contact swing. Ive found that the power swing actually works this year, as opposed to last year. Of course, if you dont get a meatball your not going to hit it well. The homer runs will come, just keep working on moving the left analog into the zone.

There are alot of people who dont play "fair" online. Using starting pitchers is quite lame. I try to play people that have 3* or higher for a rating. They usually play pretty legit.

Archived