Brewer Fanatic

The Show '08

Chkyhks2and0
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick poll - I have a PS2. Which game is best for my format...The Show or 2K? I need to get a new game since I haven't purchased one in 4 or 5 years...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I haven't played the Show but it does look fun. I have 2k8 and its a lot like the older ones so if you liked those you would probably like this one. If you find the new pitching to be too hard you can always switch it back to the old style. It still has some small glitches like always. I'd rate 2k8 a 8/10.

Last year I had 2k7 for the 360 and thought it was the best baseball game I've ever played. The actual gameplay was fun but so was everything else they added (graphics, animation, etc.). I know a lot of games now tend to use the analog stick to throw/pitch but I just usually switch back to the older way. Honestly, I'm not looking to have realistic 3-2 games because they end up not being that fun.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Are the catchers ratings still ridiculously high? Last year, Mike Rivera was one of the top-rated guys on the team.

The Show ranks/ed guys on a positional basis, too. As in, two players with identical ratings, but one plays 1B & one plays SS ... the SS will be 'better'

It doesn't mean the SS's skills are better or show up more - just means that the game rates the overall player higher, given his value at a certain position.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

a couple gripes about the show, being a former 1B i made one in the game. Last year it would fast forward to any play in the infield and at bats. This year is the same except that it includes plays where you are just covering first. So about 5-10 time a game all you are doing is running over to first waiting for the ball, pretty much worthless.

My second gripe would be the Accomplishments. Since you only get a couple weeks to do certain things you are forced to upgrade your player to what the manager wants not how you want to upgrade him. You end up using all your points on the two areas you are asked to improve in while you other areas decrease.

Don't the teams have overall ratings? You know, so you can compare teams to find an even match? I thought there would be all kinds of comments here about how The Show rates the Brewers and the teams they compare to.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

What is the PS2 version like? Is it worth getting? The vibe I was getting is that it's basically just a roster update for the 07 game.
I'll second this question. Can't quite shell out for a PS3 yet, and I don't want to put money into a game if it's just a roster update.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I really like the graphics on the PS3 version. I played a bit last night. The Brewers as a whole are pretty good, even though their game ratings don't particularly show it.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I'll second this question. Can't quite shell out for a PS3 yet, and I don't want to put money into a game if it's just a roster update.

I've only played half of a game in Franchise Mode, but for the PS2 version it is pretty much the same in terms of game play in my mind. The guess pitch has a new mode where it will just highlight the block in red if you guess the correct location of the ball (it previously showed a target with the exact location).

The pitching interface is slightly different. If you choose a curveball it'll show the movement direction and the degree of movement. It looks like it'll be pretty helpful because Sheets' curveball has a lot bigger break than some of the other pitchers.

I wanted to get it pretty much for the roster updates (Braun, Yo, CV, Parra, etc).

Braun is the best player followed by Sheets and Fielder and I believe (IIRC) Yo is #4 or somewhere in that range. Gagne isn't ranked all that high on the team. Braun is in LF (not 3b) and Hall is at 3b. It also looks like the solved the catcher situation since Rivera isn't one of the best players on the roster anymore.

I believe the Brewers with the default rosters are ranked 10th overall.

I think I really like the game due to the fact on the first pitch from Zambrano to open the season Weeks sent a HR to right field.

Braun is the best player followed by Sheets and Fielder and I believe (IIRC) Yo is #4 or somewhere in that range. Gagne isn't ranked all that high on the team. Braun is in LF (not 3b) and Hall is at 3b. It also looks like the solved the catcher situation since Rivera isn't one of the best players on the roster anymore.

I believe the Brewers with the default rosters are ranked 10th overall.

Sounds like they at least fixed some of the roster problems. That's good enough for me, so I'll probably pick it up this weekend. I was trying to wait until I have surgery next month because I'll be off work for a week and a half and I want a brand new game to learn...but that's just too long to wait.

Edit: The girlfriend is picking it up right now! (I'm paying her back of course). Man, if that girl wasn't a Cubs fan, she would be perfect.

~Nottso

The road to the show is pretty good, but it really bothers me that I can't just skip from one at bat to the next. It's such a pain to play defense all the time, not to mention actually have to stand on base when other people are hitting and "not get picked off". I wish they had the feature to skip stuff. It's going to take FOREVER to get anywhere in a career mode.

I also liked that I could turn on auto-running, and then hit with the next hitter (Prince) when I was on base. I found that I scored a ton more runs for my player, as I'm a significantly better hitter than the computer is.

This is killing me. Two more hours until work is done and I have the game sitting right next to me. I thought about hiding it on myself so I wouldn't torture myself, but then I would probably forget it.

Thanks for the info jwill...that's at least one thing I won't have to figure out for myself.

~Nottso

Ive been playing online and have been struggling to hit...not sure why, I didnt have the problem with last years game. Something to practice up on I suppose. My only problem with the game so far is the massive amounts of glitches I have found online. Last nite I hit a ball to left with 2 strikes and a runner on 1st. The runner made it to 3rd, but they said my batter had struck out...VERY weird.

I can only find the fast forward option in the regular gameplay, is it somewhere in the road to the show games? I played franchise last night and fast forwarded through that, but I can't find that option when I have my player in his carerr mode.

I am struggling to hit home runs, but overall I can't complain too much. Hitting is a lot more realistic in this game than it was in 2007 where I could regularly hit bombs with everyone not named Craig Counsell (and even he had his fair share). The computer is a lot more scrappy at the plate, too. Especially good hitters.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Apparently I figured out what I needed to do with hitting HR's. Not having as much of a problem anymore. I just had an epic 11 inning spring training game with the Cubs. Sheets had a poor start, the game was tied at 3 in the 7th when Cappy gave up a run. Corey Hart got the run back with a double and scored on a sac fly in the 8th. Salomon Torres pitched 3 innings of scoreless relief and in the 11th inning the Cubs put in Dempster who promptly gave up 5 runs. It was a pretty hilarious implosion. I had 5 hits and 3 walks in the inning and left the bases loaded. Joe Dillon started it with a single, eventually Bill Hall sac flied him in and the floodgates opened. It was even better watching it all again via the replay vault, lol.

How is everyone else doing now that we're a week off the release?

Archived