Brewer Fanatic

Average Relative Run Value of Offensive Events

rluzinski

I have a theory that fans have a tendency to value offensive events closer to their relative entertainment value, rather than their actual run value. Its certainly not unreasonable to want batters to do the things that are more fun to watch, so I don't blame any fan for doing it. I thought it would be interesting to test that theory and see how people would weight steals, walks, singles, doubles, triples and HRs, relative to each other in two ways:

* Entertainment

* What they think their relative run value actually is

Keep in mind, we are talking about the average, relative run value. If a batter always came up to bat with no one on, a walk and single would be worth exactly the same. Common sense tells us that a single is worth more, however, since their will often be base runners on that will be advanced more efficiently with a single than with a walk. So, try to think of the average situation and how the various events would effect how many runs a team will score and how fun it would be to see the batter performance the event.

Now, anyone who wants to cheat and find their relative run values could simply google it (it's pretty straight forward to calculate) to find the answer but I ask to resist the urge. And for anyone who already knows, just post your excitement weights if you'd like.

Finally, If I didn't already know the answer , I don't think my guess would be anywhere close to right, so I don't think the correct answers are easy to estimate. Perhaps the average guess might do a pretty good job, though and my theory will be proven wrong. It will be interesting to see.

Here's my entertainment estimate, to illustrate what I'm looking for. I'll use a 1 through 10 scale, using whole numbers:

10 home run

8 triple

5 double

3 single

2 steal

1 walk

Entertainment

10 - triple

8 - home run

5 - double

3 - single

2 - walk

2 - steal

I think a triple is more exciting because there is a buildup as the runner gets to second. Steals don't get me to excited unless they happen in a big spot in a game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm guessing you got the inspiration for this from the same article I read the other day. In fact, I had to go find a proverb and change my sig, because I put the rounded relative weights down there. Luckily, I haven't posted on BF.net in two days...

In terms of just excitement, for me I'd say:

Walk - 1

Single - 3

Steal - 4

Double - 5

Home Run - 8

Triple - 10

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

10 Triple

9 Homer

6 Double

4 Single

3 Steal

1 Walk

Knowing the numerical values of each doesn't really affect being able to weigh the "excitement" factor involved in each type of event. And of course, the excitement of any event can change, contextually speaking. A steal in the 9th when you're down a run is far more exciting than a steal in the 4th of a game you're up 3 runs. Mathematically speaking of course, they mean the same, but the context is important when considering the "human" factor.

Relative run value:

HR:10

Triple: 8

double:6

single:4

walk: 3

steal: 1

By the way: can you really do a relative offensive value for a successful stolen base without somehow taking into account the risk of getting caught stealing?

Entertainment:

Inside the park home run: 10

home run: 9

triple: 8

double: 6

steal: 4

single: 3

walk: 2

By the way: can you really do a relative offensive value for a successful stolen base without somehow taking into account the risk of getting caught stealing?

I just wanted the value of a successful steal. You are correct that what's generally of more importance is the value of a stolen base attempt, which has to factor in CS.

Come on people, I need more guesses on actual relative run values.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Come on people, I need more guesses on actual relative run values.

I know this one (I have 2 hardcover copies of Total Baseball), but I won't spoil your fun!

There's a lot of great stuff in that book, if you're into real dry, fact based stuff. I have the 2001 and 2004 copies, and there's a pretty extensive section on this stuff you're talking about right here.

• 2 weeks later...

Robieaux DrWood Ph Smith Stevo pmg4 logan Johnson Jimbo AVE Linear Weights
HR 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10.00 3 10.50
3B 8 7 9 7 9 9 7 7 7.88 2.2 7.70
2B 6 4.5 7 6 7.5 7 5 5.5 6.06 1.6 5.60
1B 4 2 4 4 4 4 3 3 3.50 1 3.50
BB 3 1.5 3 3 2.5 3 2 2 2.50 0.7 2.45
SB 1 1 2 1 0.5 1 1 2 1.19 0.4 1.40

Not sure what this tells us, other than those 8 did a pretty darn good job of guessing the realtive run values. The first "Linear Weights" column shows the relative run value of each event with a single set to 1; the second colum shows the relative values after setting the value of a single equal to the group's collective guess (3.5). HRs and SB were actually slightly undervalued by the group, which tells us that either the 8 participants are smarter than the average fan or my theory is completely wrong. I've read that even ML GMs appear to over value HRs, though, so maybe brewerfan.net just raises the bar!

Archived