Brewer Fanatic

So now that Cameron is signed, what are we going to get for all our pitching?

chadomac

I can't see Capuano, Bush, and Vargas all being here a month from now... so what are we going to get in return? A bench player or two and prospects? I don't see what else we really need. I, too, would love to sign Ensberg as a bench player.

Also, I can't see us keeping all of our relievers either... we just have way too many pitchers right now. What's going to happen?

*EDIT* Sorry, this probably belongs in the trade thread? Can someone move it there?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at least one and maybe a couple of our extra pitchers gain us some average-to-above-average prospects (meaning at least some fringe ML potential) to give us more farm system depth. And I think that's okay. You're just not going to get studs for Vargas, Bush, Capuano, or Turnbow.

I'd bet that none of those guys will bring us anyone for the major-league roster, which is just fine so long as injuries don't cause problems.

1 Sheets

2 Gallardo

3 Villanueva

4 Suppan

5 Capuano

6 Parra

7 Bush

8 Vargas

9 Riske

10 Torres

11 Gagne

12 Moto

13 Stetter

14 Shouse

15 Choate

16 McClung

17 Turnbow

I think only a few of these guys have minor league options, so it's likely that more than one is going to go.

1 Sheets

2 Gallardo

3 Villanueva

4 Suppan

5 Capuano

6 Bush

7 Vargas

8 Riske

9 Torres

10 Gagne

11 Mota

12 Shouse

13 Turnbow

That's the list I have right now. I would rather the team deal Vargas or a reliever to set ourselves up better for next year. The real bad part is Parra. He probably has the talent to be on our roster, but he also has an option. He doesn't have enough of a MLB track record to speak of.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

So the guys you don't have on the list are going to be in the minors to start the year?

I agree on Parra... I would love to have him as our "Villanueva of this year", long relief and spot starting when needed. I think he's too good to leave in the minors again.

The guys I don't have on the list I think either have an option left or not enough experience to be picked over the guys on my list. A few of them are on minor league deals. If I am wrong on any feel free to correct me as I am sure I made at least one mistake.

I blame Wang.

The only two guys we have that we can't fit anywhere are Vargas and McClung. I'd expect Vargas to be traded before long, and McClung to be traded at the end of camp barring injury. Outside of those guys, the 12-man staff I have is: Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, Capuano, Bush, Torres, Mota, Turnbow, Riske, Shouse and Gagne.

That's a really strong pitching staff. Not to mention Pena, Cassidy, Johnson, Choate, Bray and Stetter all in AAA. Plus Dillard, Parra and Jackson plus some. That's a lot of pitching depth. We're scary, folks.

Why are so many people thinking that Vargas or any of the pitchers have to be move now?? I would say they all go to camp and Doug moves one during camp when a team looses pitching to injury or figures out what they had on the roster will not cut it. These gusy will have more value then than they have right now.

Why are so many people thinking that Vargas or any of the pitchers have to be move now?? I would say they all go to camp and Doug moves one during camp when a team looses pitching to injury or figures out what they had on the roster will not cut it. These gusy will have more value then than they have right now.
I don't think anybody is saying they have to be moved now, but we have to either move a guy or expose him to waivers before we break camp. A catching prospect would be great, as long as he isn't a 5th year minor leaguer still in AA.

I blame Wang.

We are keeping the pitching and GM DM is going to let JK do some catcher magic and get the vet starters back where they should be before Estrada derailed them...

Sheets
Suppan
Bush
Yo
Cappy (or if he starts like he ended, Parra)

Gagne-9th
Torres-8th/9th
Turnbow-7th/8th

middle guys--
CVilla (should start and have Bush go here but I Bush gets every look as a starter)
Riske
Shouse as the LOOGY (or Choate if Shouse shows his age)
CVargas is the new Spurling, except he is qualified to come in and not give up the farm when a game gets loose.

McClung is not worth the paper this is not printed on.

If everyone didn't want to trade for prospects then you should not be surprised that a lot of kids (Parra, ZJ, LPena, Stetter) don't get time until someone sucks or gets traded...

Eat innings boys...eat 'em up!
Rouse

It sure seems like lots of folks (here and in plenty of other threads) are putting too much stock in Choate simply because his name has been around, he was a free agent signee, and he's on the 40-man roster. He's not good. He's signed to a split contract. He couldn't make the Twins out of spring training last year and never got called up when half the Twins' bullpen was injured. Carmen Cali and Julio DePaula got multiple callups and were horrible. Randy Choate couldn't outpitch them enough to get called up.

Stetter has a better chance of making the roster than Choate, as well he should.

Allow me to say I am far from concerned about the Brewers having 15 quality arms on the 40 man, and up to 17-18 that could easily be considered for the 25 man.

Teams are signing guys with 7 ERA's in '07 to guaranteed deals. No team gets through a seaosn with 5 SP's or 12 pitchers. Guys with options like Stetter and Parra can be kept at AAA until needed.

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!!!????!!!!! Hair pulling...gnashing of teeth....rending of clothes...bitter tears falling like rain......

Parra is too darn good to send down. Have you seen him pitch??????

He's really, really special.

Rotation:

Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, (bush or capuano), parra.

Trade Vargas for some A ball prospect that turns out like villanueva in a couple of years.

trade loser of bush or capuano slot, or put them in the pen.

make villanueva a true long reliever rather than the middle reliever he was most of last season.

You heard it here first, nothing gets done until the 2nd week of March. I know, so bold. Things just aren't moving, and won't until teams figure a few things out. A few above average prospects to fill out the system would not be a horrible thing. I am just glad that we are finally in that position.

Seriously, 5 years ago did you think we would be in this position? We have arms other people want and that is a good thing.

I'll thank you not to make the Martha joke.

1 Sheets

2 Gallardo

3 Villanueva

4 Suppan

5 Capuano

6 Bush long man

7 Vargas Long man

8 Riske 7th

9 Torres 8th

10 Gagne closer

11 Moto 7th

12 Shouse LOOGY

13 Turnbow 8th

6 Parra Minors to start the year.

15 Choate Cut

16 McClung traded or cut

13 Stetter minors, he's got one option left doesn't he? If not, no big loss.

You don't pay the kind of coin the brewers did this year for Cameron, Kendall, Gagne, Riske etc to worry about or keep Randy Choate or Seth McClung. That's why you pay for actual major league pitchers, so you don't need those guys.

You think Parra has earned a spot in the rotation but Villanueva hasn't? Please explain your logic.

Yep, I feel exactly the same way. It also doesn't help Parra's case that he's never pitched 140 innings in a year. I'm not quite ready to give a guy a spot in the starting rotation given that fact.

Allow me to say I am far from concerned about the Brewers having 15 quality arms on the 40 man, and up to 17-18 that could easily be considered for the 25 man.
Didn't you hear? The Brewers signed Cameron to play CF. They are moving Bill Hall to 3B. Ryan Braun is the new LF.

Everything is fixed.

What else is everyone going to talk about until spring training?

Archived