Brewer Fanatic

Ted Simmons Article - St. Louis Post-Dispatch

brewcrew00

There's some good stuff in there; you get an idea what Ted's like.

The writer refers to Ted as "the often opinionated, occasionally off-both-walls Simmons".

And he gives examples:

Yost and Melvin are well aware that Simmons has his own mind and will speak it. There was the time he refused to sign a contract with the Cardinals until about midseason one year, and the time in the clubhouse he loudly criticized St. Louis as a bad sports town when Busch Stadium fans had booed him as he struggled while trying to play a strange position, first base.

A young Post-Dispatch reporter, not sure whether Simmons had meant what he said that night, held off writing that criticism until he showed Simmons a printout the next night. He fully expected Simmons to play the off-the-record card, but Simmons calmly leafed through the transcript, handed it back to the reporter and said, "Have a party."

What isn't in the article and is rarely mentioned is that Ted wouldn't speak to reporters at all during the 1982 season until after the Brewers clinched the pennant.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

He fully expected Simmons to play the off-the-record card, but Simmons calmly leafed through the transcript, handed it back to the reporter and said, "Have a party." What isn't in the article and is rarely mentioned is that Ted wouldn't speak to reporters at all during the 1982 season until after the Brewers clinched the pennant.

That is funny, "have a party." I also had no idea that Simmons would not speak to reporters during 82 (I was born that year). Did he not get along with the media?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

There was the time he refused to sign a contract with the Cardinals until about midseason one year,

A young Post-Dispatch reporter, not sure whether Simmons had meant what he said that night, held off writing that criticism until he showed Simmons a printout the next night. He fully expected Simmons to play the off-the-record card, but Simmons calmly leafed through the transcript, handed it back to the reporter and said, "Have a party." What isn't in the article and is rarely mentioned is that Ted wouldn't speak to reporters at all during the 1982 season until after the Brewers clinched the pennant.

What some might not know is that Simmons wasn't under contract and he played a half of a year. Some might assume he didn't sign being under contract but he didn't have one. Interesting seeing Simba's reaction to Prince's complaining. How many players have played without a contract?

Simmons spoke every year but the 82 season to reporters and that was fine with the reporters since he gave them information where they agreed to not publish. Buck Rogers had a lot to do with that. Also not mentioned in the article that before the first game Simmons was voted captain by his teammates. His strong personality was a + if you listen to his teammates so it will be very interesting seeing his impact this year.

HOF of course but they had it wrong Simmons missed out by 7 votes not 5 when he received 17 votes. #1 in hits and #2 in RBI's of the HOF catchers. Name another position player not in the HOF or eligible (Rose) with those quailifications.

How many players have played without a contract?

It used to happen now and then in the olden days (before free agency and arby).

What exactly was the deal with the silence? Was Simmons displeased with Rodgers, tired of distractions, or something else?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

How many players have played without a contract?

It used to happen now and then in the olden days (before free agency and arby).

What exactly was the deal with the silence? Was Simmons displeased with Rodgers, tired of distractions, or something else?

I would say Simba was the last player to play without a contract and can't remember anyone else in my baseball watching life (late 60's) who did.

Silence: Simmons came over and hit way below his norm in 81, but still knocked in 61 runs in two thirds of a season. In 82 he started out slowly too but really disliked Rodgers micro managing from the dugout which changed completely when Harvey took over. He started hitting then and ended up with 97 ribbies. I think some negative press got to him and his frustration, since in St Louis he did what no one had ever done before i ML ball which was lead his team in rbi's for 7 straight years. Just speculation but frustration with Rodgers and adjusting to a curve ball league got to him. Interesting question for someone to ask him this year.

I'm not going to hijack the thread by laying out the whole thing, but I know of at least two other players who played without a contract for an entire season in the 1970s, this helped start the movement for free agency.

On Simmons, he was perhaps the best sign stealer of his generation, he knew the hitters inside and out, and was as close to a pitching coach on the field as any catcher will ever be. Adding him was a great hire, the rockheads who vote for the Hall of Fame may have completely whiffed on Simmons, but those who played with and against him have never stopped praising him.

Archived