Brewer Fanatic

Braun wins 2007 NL Slugging Championship

TooLiveBrew

I flip-flopped as to whether or not this deserved its own thread, so if this should be merged/deleted, feel free. This is from mlb.com:

"Ryan Braun of the Brewers won the 2007 NL slugging championship under Rule 10.22, topping teammate Prince Fielder to become the first rookie slugging leader since Mark McGwire led the AL in 1987."

Another cool honor for Ryan's phenomenal 2007.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He didn't have enough plate appearances. He wins because the rule allows the missing plate appearances to be added with zeros as their resulting outcomes. After doing that, it turns out that his 'lowered' SLG pct. is still ahead of the next highest qualifier. The same rule also applies to the BA and OBP titles.

As this topic is very specific, it certainly deserves its own thread--unless it's covered elsewhere and neither of us noticed. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

(Moderator note: this thread is not the place to cover Ryan's defense, a move to the outfield, etc.)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I kind of explained it two posts above. I couldn't tell you what's worse, though: my klutzy explanation or mlb's complicated one. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'll try it with numbers. A hitter generally needs 502 plate appearances to win the batting, slugging, or OBP titles. If a guy has 480 plate appearances, the rules allow for 22 plate appearances to be added while adding zero hits (for batting), zero total bases (for slugging), or zero times on base (for OBP). If the revised BA, SLG pct., or OBP still beats the next best qualifying hitter, the guy with 'not enough' plate appearances will win the title.

the rules allow for 22 plate appearances to be added

Doesn't it work so you can cover X number of 'extra' PAs? I'm not sure when you can officially start adding the extra PAs, but couldn't it be greater than 22 - just so long as it covers the gap below 502?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If a guy's PA total is too low, the zeros will take care of the issue on their own.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll use OBP in this extreme example. A player with 250 PA is on base 150 times, giving him a .600 OBP. Add in 252 more PA along with no more times on base, the player's OBP drops to .298. That isn't going to win any title.

Archived