Brewer Fanatic

Prince: "I'm not happy about (contract renewal)"

lukevan
If Fielder isn't willing to talk about future negotiations between he and the Brewers, citing that they are between the Brewers and Prince's agent, Scott Boras, then why is he upset that the Brewers renewed his contract? Shouldn't he be upset with his agent?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to get all "conspiracy theory" on y'all but... would it be plausible that Darth Vader - I mean, Scott Boras - told Prince to say that stuff to the media just to make the Brewers look bad...?

I would definitely not put it past him in his constant PR war that he wages with teams. The guy's ego's been bruised a little from the A-Rod situation; he'll do anything to rebuild/enhance his leveraging position.

"If we offer him $40 for 4 years, you're right, he probably won't take it. But considering its his first major contract, I think he'll at least think twice about it."

I fail to see how offering Prince a lowball contract is going to make up for not giving him $900 grand this year. And I know in fantasy baseball leagues, there's always some yahoo offering lopsided trades to everyone, in hopes that one guy is dumb enough to hit "accept". I don't think that works very well in the real world, however, especially when Boras is involved.

Not to get all "conspiracy theory" on y'all but... would it be plausible that Darth Vader - I mean, Scott Boras - told Prince to say that stuff to the media just to make the Brewers look bad...?

I would definitely not put it past him in his constant PR war that he wages with teams. The guy's ego's been bruised a little from the A-Rod situation; he'll do anything to rebuild/enhance his leveraging position.

Nah, I doubt Prince is the type of guy who's going to be a puppet for Boras. I look at this as no different than me complaining about my pay, I just don't do it to the press. Hopefully the Brewers do explain exactly why he's not making what he thinks he should be (Howard did have better years), but they certainly don't have to. It's their system, and he should have known that's how it would be. He's no different than any of the other young players in the organization when it comes to 0-3 year contracts. It's just the way it is.

$10 million a year is hardly a low ball. Ryan Howard is making that, and thats what he asked for. Its a fair deal now, it will keep him happy for at least 3 years, and at the very least, it would basically leave the Brewers blameless for paying him $670k for a year

He is quickly losing his status as my favorite player on this team. First he goes vegetarian, now complaining about his renewal. Good thing Prince isn't eating any more fine cuts of meat. I always have to remind myself that to most players it's a business, and this sure reinforces my thoughts about Prince, not that it needed much reinforcement with the selection of Boras as his agent.

Nah, I doubt Prince is the type of guy who's going to be a puppet for Boras. I look at this as no different than me complaining about my pay, I just don't do it to the press.

IMO part of the reason why Prince went to Boras was because he got the short end of the stick when his dad was his agent; Prince wanted to maximize his money and knew Boras would be able to get him what he wanted. And a part of that relationship most likely involves Boras implictly being allowed to "suggest" to his clients that saying certain things ("I'm not happy that I was renewed," for example) will pay off in the long run with a bigger, fatter contract. Even if said contract is with a different team. It's how the game is played. It's all part of a very calculated, very choreographed game that agents like Boras (or Rosenhaus in the NFL) play to maximize their clients' contracts.

I guess this is really no big deal. Prince was more upset that he found out about his contract renewal through the media, but Prince talked to Melvin today and everything is fine. From what I heard, DM is not a big fan of Boras and like we know, the Brewers will never be able to give Prince the HUGE contract.

$10 million a year is hardly a low ball. Ryan Howard is making that, and thats what he asked for. Its a fair deal now, it will keep him happy for at least 3 years, and at the very least, it would basically leave the Brewers blameless for paying him $670k for a year
$10M for one year isn't a lowball offer, but $40M for 4 years would be. Howard is more than likley to get more than $10M next year so a contract at an average of "only" $10M a year would be a lowball offer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

$10M for one year isn't a lowball offer, but $40M for 4 years would be. Howard is more than likley to get more than $10M next year so a contract at an average of "only" $10M a year would be a lowball offer.

But what is Howard expected to get the next two seasons? $14M and $18M, hopefully at the most? Give that progression to Fielder, and over the next four years he's set to make:

0.6, 10, 14, 18 = 42.6 million dollars

So I'd think 4/40M would actually be a pretty fair deal. Trade off maybe a couple million at the most for that guarantee. But we know Boras would never sign it.

First, I think this in much ado about nothing, and if nothing else, the start of a long negotiation through the media. If DM says he didn't say anything to them about it. I take him at his word. Personally, I think Prince should be getting paid more, but this is the one area of the CBA where the teams actually have a bit of an advantage, and its very simple, if you want more money, it is gonna cost you more years. I assure you the Brewers would be more than happy to give you 4 year $15 million dollar contract right now. Would you like them to draw up the paperwork? Since Prince and his DBag agent made it clear they really aren't into that right now, take what they systems is required to pay you and go play.

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant that 1 of the years would include this year. As sbrylski06 illustrated, that would be a pretty fair deal (4 years, not 5).

Short of a contract like the above, I still don't see why the Brewers should be shamed into paying Prince more this year, however. It's a goody system but it's the one the players' union agreed to and in a few short years, Prince will be enjoying the benefits of that system. Of course, I don't buy that a little good will now might translate into Prince giving the Brewers millions of dollars of "home discount" when he becomes a free agent, especially since Boras is representing him.

The bottom line is--SO IT BEGINS--the longish road that leads Prince outta Milwaukee. I'd rather not put up with the drama and whining.

Funny thing is Prince seems like a sensitive guy. I do believe it will affect him even while he remains on guard against such a situation.

I just knew these contracts like Turlowitski would come back to bite small market clubs, now every decent young player can start the demands. I love baseball.

I guess I just don't get why everyone is so worried about this. 4 years is an eternity in baseball. Most players are done after 8. The player most likely to be gone soon is Hardy who is only under control for 3 years and whose replacement is already in AAA.

You cant pay Prince wihtout paying Braun, Weeks, Hart, CV, and Yo.

The one way a small market club can compete is thru home grown players. This recent trend is somthing that is horrible for Small Market clubs because it takes away the bargains that young players provide. If the Rockies want to go ahead and do this stuff thats fine but it should not be expected at all.

We dont give in, we give him his 10 million next year in Arby and we move forward. The Players union is responsible for this, not the Brewers.

Mark A is goign to be better off going the Mark Cuban Route and making our home field ammenities the best in baseball. Best clubhouse TV and Surround sound - best clubhouse towels for home and away teams, best pre and after game spread......make it so that players genuinely enjoy baseball here.

I think we've known all along that Fielder would be the least likely to stay, especially with Boras as his agent. And that is fine. 1b has to be about the easiest position to get good production from anyway. I'd love to have him longer, but I will take 4 years, then let him go.

I was a little taken aback by his comments but it really isnt a huge deal. Obviously Prince was initially dissappointed and it wouldnt suprise me if Fielder is the highest paid player in his service time group. I think it would be foolish for Prince to expect Howard numbers because he didnt get and MVP or ROY. I think he will eventually get over it however. I think there is about a 10% chance of a long term deal so I am just going to enjoy watching him while he is here. It will also be very interesting to see what Melvin does in what will be perhaps his most difficult decision as a GM. Do you trade Fielder after 2010 season or do you let him walk after 2011? Any trade involving Fielder might bring back the best crop of players in the history of MLB trades. I would be more than fine with that happening as long as we resign Hart, Braun, and Gallardo. We have 6 picks this year and we will have a huge arsenal of wanted players. I think the Brewers are set up very well for long term success

EDIT: I should really proofread

I think you trade him after 2010. Yeah, we get one less year from him, but I think we could reload faster and get more/better players that would be ready to help out right away from a trade, rather than two draft picks in the late 30s.

Just to stir the pot a little -- Seattle is reportedly offering an extension to Felix Hernandez, who is in the same boat (service time) as Fielder --i.e., they both are eligible for Arby's next year. I wonder if this will be a trend. I think Seattle has a lot more risk involved than the Brewers do, if the Brewers offered Prince an extension.

Fielder will probably get 11 or 12 million next year. If he felt he should get around 900k instead of what he got, I think the next payday will help him. I saw on the news he is getting more than any non-arby player which he deserves. That being said I don't know if 300k is worth pissing off a potential superstar.

You don't trade him. You won't get equal value and you're removing a top 5 hitter from your team. You trade the good but not great players early (Hardy, Capuano) and you keep the MVP type as long as you can

Yeah -- I would agree with this as long as the Brewers are in the playoff hunt.

Although I could envision a trade scenario if LaPorta was mashing hardcore and a pitcher like Gallardo flamed out or got injured and the Brewers were desperate for SP help.

I guess my view is that any contract the Brewers offer to Prince should buy out at least one year of free agency. Since Scott Boras is unlikely to allow that ("test the market", "no hometown discounts"), why bother paying Prince more? He knew what he was getting into when he chose Boras to represent him.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived