Brewer Fanatic

Prince: "I'm not happy about (contract renewal)"

lukevan
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did throw him a little extra and he's still not happy.

My question is, does Boras get 5%(or whatever the % is) of Prince's salary, even though he didn't do anything, and couldn't do anything to increase Prince's pay? If that is the case, why do ballplayers sign with agents before they are eligible for arbitration? Sounds like a waste to me.

Probably expected the same as Weeks got or more.

You know there isn't any risk for Boras by letting players go year to year. If a guy gets injured he just moves on.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

We did throw him a little extra and he's still not happy.

My question is, does Boras get 5%(or whatever the % is) of Prince's salary, even though he didn't do anything, and couldn't do anything to increase Prince's pay? If that is the case, why do ballplayers sign with agents before they are eligible for arbitration? Sounds like a waste to me.

I don't know if he'd get a pct of that. He wasn't his agent when he was drafted and negotiated his first contract, so I don't know then if he'd be eligible for a pct of his salary right now and through his service time? I'm sure he'd be at least eligible for his arby years.

Kinda like how Rosenhaus didn't get any of Walker's money until he renegotiated with the Bronco's because the previous deal was signed with a prior agent.

But if you throw Prince a little extra isn't it insulting to the other young guys if you don't throw them extra too? If their system isn't compensating enough they should change the system, but going outside of it for one player is just asking for a headache.

I totally agree here. If our current roster wasn't full of guys who will be/are in this same situation, I could maybe see throwing him some more coin to be happy. He doesn't want to lock in some years now this is what he has to face. For a franchise like Milwaukee the system will stay in place in part to make the team competitive -- and that system will most likely last longer than Prince's time with the Brewers.

What is Prince going to do? Go stink it up on the field because of his contract. The current situation he is in forces him to play his best and put up big numbers to get paid. It's almost the most fair contract process in all of sports. Perform for three years...get paid and then go year to year...before you totally cash in -- Ok it's the most fair until totally cashing in.

Last month's annual "Cool Music/Hot Stove" conference featured its regular panelists: Peter Gammons, Scott Boras, Brian Cashman, Theo Epstein, Red Sox employee Bill James and various Yankee and Red Sox players, mingling and glad-handing one another. This season, now including Manny Ramirez who just switched to Boras, this one agency handles over a dozen players from these 2 teams.

This closeness, this unhealthy relationship between an agent guiding talent to certain teams, a top ESPN presence keeping the unofficial agreement all together...none of it is investigated or at least questioned.

So if Prince doesn't wind up as a Yankee, it'll be in Boston. Not much difference these days...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

He wanted $900,000 like Howard got.

Is that printed somewhere? It's not in the JS blog linked in the first post.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/03/02/fielder-not-happy-with-renewal.aspx

"I haven't had the chance to talk to Fielder yet about the renewal but I did speak with his agent, Scott Boras, who indicated his client was seeking something more in line with the $900,000 that Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard made last year."

Howard won ROTY, Fielder didn't. Howard won MVP the next year, Fielder didn't. I really question how meaningful either award actually is, but it makes a difference come contract time.

I blame Wang.

This is going sound dumb, but people in this thread still seem to have the small market mentality. We all assume we're going to lose Fielder, and everyone keeps bringing up the Yankees. The problem is, we continue to nickle and dime our way around while more and more teams are spending the money. I'm not suggesting we spend wildly on average free agents (which we actually have been doing with Suppan and Kendall). But Fielder is the face of the franchise, and we just threw and insult at him. Why not at least offer him a 4-5 year deal worth $10 million a year? In 2 years, 10 per is going to be a steal. Meanwhile we are paying all these players minimum salary, of course they're going to bolt as soon as they can. if anything, I'd sign Hart Weeks and Braun to long term deals, and flat out tell Fielder we aren't going to negotiate with him as long as Boras is his agent. Maybe he'll get it.

But Fielder is the face of the franchise, and we just threw and insult at him. Why not at least offer him a 4-5 year deal worth $10 million a year? In 2 years, 10 per is going to be a steal.

1. We did not insult Fielder. This is the way the system works and it is no different from any other player with 0-3 years of service time.

2. Boras would not let Prince take a 4-5 year $10 million per year deal. He knows if he takes it year to year Prince will cash in big time in arbitration and then free agency. If Prince wants a long term deal then fire Boras, hire somebody else and if the Brewers make a fair offer then take it.

I just hope we can keep Braun, Hart, and Weeks for the next 8-10 yrs. As long as Boras is Fielders agent he is out the door after his 6 yrs service time is up. It will be sickening seeing him in a Red Sox or Yankees uniform, worse Yankees since I live in New York amongst obnoxious yankee fans but at least we have Fielder for 2 more seasons minimum before we trade him away.

The difference between Howard's $900,000 and Fielder's $670,000 might mean the Brewers' 0-3 year pay scale is not competitive. If it does fall short it might only cost an overpaid utility infielder's salary to bring the major league roster into line. It would not be good to see the Brewers save relative pennies now to alienate a cornerstone of their franchise down the line. People bear grudges and act on them when hey have a chance. Fielder will go elsewhere anyway but being penny wise, if that's what their current 0-3 year pay scale is, might be dollar foolish for the Brewers that might stay.

Also, even though it might not be in the scale giving credit for a notable all-time record (youngest to 50) probably wouldn't create too many fairness objections.

The difference between Howard's $900,000 and Fielder's $670,000 might mean the Brewers' 0-3 year pay scale is not competitive.
The Brewers have consistently been near the top of the league in what they pay 0-3 year players. Teams in the past have complained because the Brewers paid more than most.

The difference is that Fielder may have 0-3 years experience, but he is one of the elite players in all of baseball. Thats why he is so frustrated. If we offer him $40 for 4 years, you're right, he probably won't take it. But considering its his first major contract, I think he'll at least think twice about it. Plus, it will tell him we want you, and we are willing to pony up. This is definately a bad first step in the process of re-signing Fielder.

"It's ridiculously early to start making definitive statements about Princes longterm contracts choices.

About 20 things could happen in the next FOUR YEARS that could change what you seem to think is a predetermined course of events."

About 100,000 things could happen that could suggest a different scenario.

But I wouldn't bet on any of them.

Prince didn't fire his first agent and hire Boras, because he was looking to stay in a small market, like Milwaukee, long-term. He consciously made a choice to switch to the biggest bloodsucker in the history of sports, one who's intimately connected to those 2 teams....neither of whom is locked into a long-term deal with a young 1B in his prime.

"...but to say that there is no chance Boras will even "let" him "consider" it is an insult to Prince, and just again, incredibly pre-mature."

You excerpted my quote, and you still got it wrong!

I posed the possibility, I ASKED the group if this lack of goodwill toward Prince, on Doug and Mark's part, was a bad sign. I didn't insult Prince, Mark, Doug, Ned or even you.

And if the Kenny Rogers situation taught us anything about him, it's that Scott Boras is eminently capable of..."failing to inform"...OK, just plain "hiding"...contract offers from teams Boras may not want his clients to play for.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

GenoSeligPrieb wrote:

Prince didn't fire his first agent and hire Boras, because he was looking to stay in a small market, like Milwaukee, long-term. He consciously made a choice to switch to the biggest bloodsucker in the history of sports, one who's intimately connected to those 2 teams....neither of whom is locked into a long-term deal with a young 1B in his prime.

Didn't Fielder originaly have his dad as his agent?

I blame Wang.

He is what, 24 now? We have him this season and 3 more after that, making him 28 when he hits his new team. I doubt he is "elite" after the age of 32, so lets get his best years and move on. The mot we could have hoped for was getting one extra year through a buy out anyway.

Archived