Brewer Fanatic

Prince: "I'm not happy about (contract renewal)"

lukevan

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Prince, you could easily be making $5M+ this year if you wanted to sign an extension and lock yourself in. That ain't the team's problem, that's due to association with Boras who would never let you take a dollar now when you can make a buck fifty in 4 years. If you want to grab at all the money you can possibly make in your career, you have to go through this process. It's like going to college, you can either take more money with a job now or be poor for 4 years and then make more, but you can't have both.

Brewers are just paying the kids using their scale, as they do with all of them. Sure, it would be nice to keep Prince happy, but it's hard to treat him differently than the other youngsters. Sure, he's worth more than that now, but he'll more than make up for it after this year.

"Asked if this might compromise any future talks with the club, Fielder, who is represented by Scott Boras, said, "I'm not going to talk about that now. That's between me and my agent. He's handling it."

Wonderful. If Boras is handling it, then cover your eyes.

Of course it appears that Boras will make Prince the replacement for Giambi, as soon as contractually possible. I'd be blind to not see that.

But is this contentious handling of Prince a sign that there's no way in hell that Boras would even CONSIDER allowing Prince to stay here, even if we pony up 8 figures per season? Sounds like it, since Doug's not even trying to make any goodwill gestures.

So......do the Yankees have any good Rookie League players we can start following NOW, since they'll eventually become Brewer nuggets in, say, 2010? Best power-hitting prospect in the franchise's history, and I'm already cushioning the blow for when he leaves. *sigh*

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I still don't understand the whole "renewal" vs. "re-sign" deal. Anyone got any insight? How could the Brewers have given Fielder more money in '08 without signing an extension? Should Prince be more upset with the collective bargaining agreement than with the Brewers?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Of course it appears that Boras will make Prince the replacement for Giambi, as soon as contractually possible."

Or a replacement for Derek Lee. Good Lord would that suck.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Renewal just means the Crew filed his contract with MLB, no sig required. Only for players before they are arby-eligible.

They could just pay them the minimum, if they wished. They could pay them all $5M. The players have no power at that stage.

Well Prince, you could easily be making $5M+ this year if you wanted to sign an extension and lock yourself in. That ain't the team's problem, that's due to association with Boras who would never let you take a dollar now when you can make a buck fifty in 4 years. If you want to grab at all the money you can possibly make in your career, you have to go through this process. It's like going to college, you can either take more money with a job now or be poor for 4 years and then make more, but you can't have both.

That is exactly what I was thinking. We would love to lock Prince up, but I'm sure Satan errr I mean Boras won't allow us to do that. So Prince has to wait it out for his big pay day.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I still don't understand the whole "renewal" vs. "re-sign" deal. Anyone got any insight? How could the Brewers have given Fielder more money in '08 without signing an extension? Should Prince be more upset with the collective bargaining agreement than with the Brewers?

The Brewers can pay him anything above minimum. By renewal, it means they never actually signed a new contract and the Brewers just unilaterally renew the contract. Keep in mind Fielder was upset previously when he got a raise but because the minimum also went up he really didn't get much of one over the minimum increase.

man, plenty of dumb comments on that JS page.

Ha ha, you noticed that too? Yes, let's trade him now. Maybe we can get some good prospects for him, rebuild for 2012.

It's not that big of a deal! But some of the folks on those blog comments need a bit stricter parenting.

These stories happen every spring, this changes nothing. The Brewers would love to sign Prince to a five year deal right now, but Mr Boras doesn't do that. Like it or not, renew now or not, this one is etched in stone. Don't worry about it, or you'll miss the high side of having Prince here in the first place, the man will file for free agency after his sixth season, that became fact the minute he went with Boras.

I also fully expect Melvin's streak of not going to arbitration while with the Brewers to end next year and will continue to go to hearings for the subsequent two years after that with Prince. I completely agree with others who say that if Prince wants to get paid this year he needs to give the Brewers a little incentive to do so ala a multi-year deal.

Other than the first contract a player signs with a club, there really isn't much reason to have an agent for contracts. All the agent can do is complain. Especially with a team like the Brewers who have a set scale for prearby contracts.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well, my hope is that he turns his anger and frustration at the situation into jacking about 70 dingers, playing amazing 1st base, and being the face of the franchise. To me, it would have been nice to throw a little extra his way, just to show that they'll make sure he's taken care of. I know there's more at play than that, but it still would be nice.

But if you throw Prince a little extra isn't it insulting to the other young guys if you don't throw them extra too? If their system isn't compensating enough they should change the system, but going outside of it for one player is just asking for a headache.

It's all posturing IMO. If the Brewers pay him in the same range as Howard this year, then next season in arby Prince's arguement will be, "Well you paid me like Howard last year, why not give me the $10M contract he got in his arby case?" Brewers have to fight that arby decision with their contract offer THIS season, they're probably going to try to get him for $8M. Personally I have little doubt that Prince will meet or exceed what Howard got this season when Prince goes to arby next year.

But is this contentious handling of Prince a sign that there's no way in hell that Boras would even CONSIDER allowing Prince to stay here, even if we pony up 8 figures per season? Sounds like it, since Doug's not even trying to make any goodwill gestures.

So......do the Yankees have any good Rookie League players we can start following NOW, since they'll eventually become Brewer nuggets in, say, 2010? Best power-hitting prospect in the franchise's history, and I'm already cushioning the blow for when he leaves. *sigh*

It's ridiculously early to start making definitive statements about Princes longterm contracts choices.

He could fire Boras. The Brewers could win the WS and Prince could decide he wants to stay here. The Brewers could offer him 130 million over 7 year.

About 20 things could happen in the next FOUR YEARS that could change what you seem to think is a predetermined course of events.

Is it likely that Prince signs a monster deal with the Brewers? Of course not. The odds appear to be overwhelmingly against it right now, but to say that there is no chance Boras will even "let" him "consider" it is an insult to Prince, and just again, incredibly pre-mature.

I think Prince is his own man, and Mark A's shown he'll spend more than we have in the past by a substantial margin. He'll offer a competitive price to Prince, and maybe circumstances chance so much so that he takes it.

It will be easier to get him for $8M if we offer $8M in arby. I am not sure what Howard was offered, but the arbirators had to pick one number or the other and it sounds like the Phillies lowballed Howard so badly that $10M was closer to his actual worth.

EDIT: He was offered $7M by the Phillies. We could probably get Fielder for $9M.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived