Brewer Fanatic

Royals exhibition games: on sale 03-04, "On Deck" details included

patrickgpe
Uecker on the other hand didn't look at anyone and didn't say anything...he seems to becoming a grumpy old man
I did the on-deck event last year and came away with the same impression after getting a stock autographed photo. Maybe he was on the lookout for Ms. Ladd, maybe he is tired of being on the lookout for her and not enjoying the atmosphere anymore. I know he probably wants to get in another playoff atmosphere before calling it quits, but one has to wonder if he enjoys it anymore.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uecker on the other hand didn't look at anyone and didn't say anything...he seems to becoming a grumpy old man
I did the on-deck event last year and came away with the same impression after getting a stock autographed photo. Maybe he was on the lookout for Ms. Ladd, maybe he is tired of being on the lookout for her and not enjoying the atmosphere anymore. I know he probably wants to get in another playoff atmosphere before calling it quits, but one has to wonder if he enjoys it anymore.

I think we all like the Bob Uecker "character" better than we'd like the actual Bob Uecker person.

I think we all like the Bob Uecker "character" better than we'd like the actual Bob Uecker person.

So they are not one in the same Pedro? Is he very different in a personal encounter then he is in the booth or on TV? Or have people just caught him on a bad day?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

So they are not one in the same Pedro? Is he very different in a personal encounter then he is in the booth or on TV? Or have people just caught him on a bad day?

I just don't know that he's all fun and giggles, like we get on air.

From what I've heard, and from my personal experience, he is very different in person than you would expect after hearing him on the radio. Last season at spring training I waited after a game till he came down from the booth. I was the only person around, and when he came down he had 2 police officers with him. I quick asked him for his autograph, he quick grabbed my ball, signed it, and walked away without even looking up at me, let alone saying anything.

But I guess if you think about it, he's been hounded for autographs for years, so it must get old. Add the stalker situation to that, you'd expect he'd be leary of people.

From what I can tell is none of us have and any experiences with him outside of getting an autograph or a picture. From my past experiences with him, he wasn't very nice when asking for a quick picture. I was told from others that he wasn't very nice during the autograph session this year.

He seemingly hasn't turned down anybody for a picture or autograph, but being unpersonable is kind of amazing. You'd think those same qualities as a broadcaster (ie..wishing the players would be hospitable towards you and the interviews and the news stories) would allow him to pay it forward that much easier. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it's just something he's done two million times, with the last million times being too many and he may just be tired. I wanted as a kid to be a sports broadcaster and as a teenager dreamed of having lunch just to pick his brain, but these short autograph sessions have turned me off just a bit. He's still the best at what he does though.

Zach, thanks again for the Gagne ball!

Not a problem I really had nothing for Gagne still trying to find one of his minor league bobbles. So it worked out great.

Zachlaka, Gagne signed it with a "Cy Young" inscription? That is awesome, I wanted to ask him to do it for my ball but was afraid he may turn the suggestion down didn't know how guys are with doing that. He did sweet spot it without me asking which was nice.
Yep I fgured I would ask him politely to sweet spot + Cy Young inscription and see what he would do.If not I would have thanked him anyways and told him that's fine. It doesn't hurt to ask I asked Russell Branyan once to sign a home run hankie with "Russell The Muscle" under his name and he did. lol

Players usually will do that kind of thing if you ask em nicely. I have an 8x10 that Turnbow wrote "Get Nasty" under....I have the scorecard from Mothers Day and Bill Hall signed "Clutch" under it...and last year I have a scorecard for when Parra came out for his first time and he wrote "Debut" under his name...the only person that ever turned me down for something like that was Uecker when I asked him to put Mr Baseball after it he said he doesn't do that...which was fine. that was at braves night 3 or 4 years ago

I got there late at 9:50 and lines took forever to get in the park, so I went to the rummage sale and picked up some 2005 team signed baseballs and some other items including some game used pants. I later waited for Alcides Escobar and got him to sign the sweet spot and also got a Steve Bray photo. They were both friendly. It made for a long day though with getting there so early and waiting for a game to be played. Hopefully they can seperate it next year. I wouldn't even care if they charged $10 just to get into the On Deck party.

Yep I fgured I would ask him politely to sweet spot + Cy Young inscription and see what he would do.If not I would have thanked him anyways and told him that's fine. It doesn't hurt to ask I asked Russell Branyan once to sign a home run hankie with "Russell The Muscle" under his name and he did. lol

Damn, now I really wish I would have just asked. I was glad Gagne sweet spotted it without me even asking. What minor league bobble does he have?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

What minor league bobble does he have?

The only two I know of so far are

Savannah Sand Gnats & Las Vegas 51's I have pictures of the 51's bobble I can post when I get home. I had forgot to place a bid for it when it was on ebay and it went for $3 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/embarassed.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Archived