Brewer Fanatic

7-28-07: Brewers (Parra) @ Cardinals (Thompson), 12:00 PM CT

brewers255
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I guess last night was an aberration....

No offense after the 5th inning, the bullpen (supposed team strength) failing again......that's the 2nd half Brewers we're used to. It seems like each loss lately is just a bit more brutal than the one that proceeded it.....a terrible trend.

Seriously though, what to do with Coco on the road? With a road ERA of 7.20 heading into today, he has to be the worst closers in the league on the road. What about game 2, same situation? Do you go back to him?

Cordero hasn't been the same since blowing that 3 run lead in Texas with 2 out and nobody on.

Just like in 06, only the name has been changed to protect the innocent.

Offense could have helped out. One hit in final 6 innings isn't getting it done either but if your closer coughs it up twice in two games, you have a huge problem.

Oh but according to Johnny Estrada, we fans shouldn't panic.

Some blame has to be on the offense, as much as the 7th, 8th, and 9th inning pitchers blew it.

Of course, a 6-0 lead should never be blown. But what about the lack of hitting in the 4th inning? Just one hit, or moving guys over and then hitting into a fielder's choice would have padded the lead. It seems like there's a lack of "killer instinct," when the Brewers have a team down on the road, and then the bullpen blows it.

Plenty of blame to throw around. The real question is, What can management do about it for future games?

"Is it just me, or have we lost A LOT more games like this than we've won?"

No, we have. In fact we could all feel it coming when the team put up 6 straight 0's after it was 6-0.

It seems like this team keeps hitting bottom but then a couple of days later it gets worse. We traded away a top prospect so we wouldn't have bullpen meltdowns down the stretch and here we are blowing 2 late leads in 3 games.

Closers are like kickers, never give them big money because they will ALWAYS break your heart eventually.

It always feels worse right after a loss like this but this team just feels bad, maybe it is the pressure hurting a young team..

Quote:
who are we kidding? its not just cordero whos bad on the road but the whole team, except braun.

The offense isn't really out of line on the road, most teams take a dip and ours is about the same as league average. The pitching is much much worse on the road though, part of that is Cordero obviously but its a team effort.

Have the Brewers come from behind to win a game in the ninth this year? I know we've had a couple of walk-off's but those were in tie games.

I feel like we've seen today's routine at least a dozen times. Maybe it's because Cordero rarely gets a save without at least getting into trouble.

I swear we have more gut wrenching losses than any team in the majors.

"That was like watching a prevent defense in football. One hit in the last six innings!! You've got to be kidding me"

What is especially frustrating is you have a chance to pound there bullpen, Falkenborg was going to have to stay out there and take a beating, but you let them off the hook. Now the team has to go there again in a couple of hours after that debacle. They will probably get shutout tonight.

A. I feel terrible for Parra as well, great outing, wasted.

B. This would have been a great win, taking the first two in St. Louis is always an excellent thing. Especially when we have the opportunity to add a 1/2 game ahead of Chicago.

C. Just wow. I agree with the sentiment that this is the worst loss of the year. No hitter, whatever, Verlander was on and we were somewhat off. This takes it, we are up 6-0, can add to our lead in the division, by winning against a somewhat decent division rival and we throw it down the tubes, both at the plate and on the rubber.

We need to get the base hits that matter even when we are winning our bullpen definitely needs to take a look at what the deal is here, this just can't happen in this type of game.

Absolute bummer of a game, no two ways about it. And I'm almost convinced Braun will pass Fielder in HR's.

We've lost many more games this season we should have won than vice versa. Teams are coming back on us left and right, but we have few comebacks to speak of. We've been struggling to win in close games since the early part of the season. To me, that's a product of 3 things: youth, not playing the right way, and the Boston Red Sox syndrome. The third, I'm not sure how you can cure. It's a lot of pressure for players to bear the burden of ending a long streak of futility. For the Red Sox, it took a cocky guy like Curt Schilling to come in before the season and matter of factly state they were going to overcome all the history. We might need that brash player with experience to lead the team. We need more players who can do the little things at the plate, in addition to everything else. I'm not talking about extremes like Craig Counsell guys. I'm talking about more complete hitters like Lofton (I know he personally is not available anymore).

Quote:
still the Offense still gave this team a 6 run lead the Bullpen should be able to hold that Geez.

Momentum and confidence are major factors in sports. When you don't keep on putting the pressure throughout a game you continue to change the momentum in the wrong direction and increase other team's confidence.

who are we kidding? its not just cordero whos bad on the road but the whole team, except braun.

Braun's error led to 2 unearned runs today. Despite another wonderful day at the plate, I think we can drop the "except Braun."

Don't give me this "the whole team sucks" crap. If Cordero had done his job the last two times out we'd be 14 games over .500 and 4.5 games in front of the Cubs. The same guys saying we suck would be crowing about playoffs.

Sure the blame can be spread around for any loss but when it comes down to who blew the game today, it's Coco all the way.

I look forward to reading the inevitable comment by Cordero:

"It's not the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last."

He says it every time he blows one. I know you have to have a short memory in this game, but it would be nice to hear that he's pissed off about it.

Archived