Brewer Fanatic

Backup Catcher for 2008?

Well Kendall will get the majority of the starts but who do you think will win the backup job? Mike Rivera, Eric Munson or Vinny Rottino? I think all three have a chance. Rivera has shown to be a solid backup the past few seasons when he has had the chance, Munson would be another left handed bat off the bench and Rottino although newer to the position has impressed Yost with his ability behingd the dish and he has a decent bat. Thoughts?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'd like to see Rivera or Rottino win the job as well. Rivera only batted about .220 at AAA last year, so that will count against him- even though I think he would do the best job as a backup. It just seems that Munson has the least potential of the three. Rottino and Rivera don't have anything left to prove in AAA, they've probably gotten as good as they are going to be- so why not give one of them a chance?

Out of the three competing for the job I really hope that Rottino wins the job. I've heard that he has improved a lot defensively, and he is a good contact hitter w/ some power and speed. If not Rottino, I hope that we trade some of our excess pitching for a better backup.

I don't think it really matters much. If rottino were a couple of years younger, then he'd be more than a feel-good story. basically, they are three guys that are on the margins of being a MLB player.

What indication has any Brewer official given that Munson is the front runner? Isn't that just speculation? Yost was quoted that they are looking for solid defense, a good handler of pitchers, and a guy capable of knocking one out of the park occasionally. Rivera fits that description as well as anyone if not better.

Munson's best feature is that he's lefthanded but I don't think that will be the deciding factor. Rivera has more familiarity with the pitchers, and I think that will hold more weight. I also think this staff is going to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who's been here. Age shouldn't be a factor (after all they are all at least 2 years younger than Kendall) but experience is and Rivera is the only one of the three who's caught his entire career. Whoever wins the job isn't a future starter, he's a backup catcher for a year or two at the most.

Munson is going to have to show he's clearly an upgrade.

Munson sucks. Rivera has a bad obp, but otherwise doesn't suck. Rottino might not suck but his defense is poor. I think Rivera should win in 2008. If it's Rottino, I won't be all that mad, though I think he would best be used as a jack-of-all-trades rather than be married to the backup catcher spot. If it's Munson, I'll be upset.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd like to see more of Rottino before making an assessment here. I'm sure that's the same mindset the Brewers have right now. Kendall's a durable catcher, averaging over 140 starts per season. Having a versatile #2 like Rottino behind a durable catcher like Kendall would make a lot of sense.

Yeah the nice thing about Vinny is he can not only be the #2 catcher but fill in just about anywhere if needed in a pinch.

That's a bit of a Catch-22 as far as I'm concerned. Ned Yost tends to only switch to the #2 catcher (in any given game) because of an injury. For that reason, Rottino's versatility is largely negated if he's the #2. IMO, the only way Vinny makes the 25-man roster is as a utility player / #3 catcher.

Yeah the nice thing about Vinny is he can not only be the #2 catcher but fill in just about anywhere if needed in a pinch.

That's a bit of a Catch-22 as far as I'm concerned. Ned Yost tends to only switch to the #2 catcher (in any given game) because of an injury. For that reason, Rottino's versatility is largely negated if he's the #2. IMO, the only way Vinny makes the 25-man roster is as a utility player / #3 catcher.

With Rottino Ned could play him in the field when Kendall is starting and move him to catcher if something happens to Kendall. The only thing he wouldn't do is pinch hit for him or use him as a pinch hitter. Ned likes to give his players a full day off without pinch hitting so having Rottino as the occasional spot starter at multiple postions gives Ned some flexibility.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Does it really matter whether Munson bats lefty or righty if he is going to make out 8 out of 10 times? The other thing to remember is that a manager is usually reluctant to use their back up catcher as a pinch hitter and not have someone on the bench should the starting catcher get hurt (or tossed). If the argument is bench flexibility with batting, then I think Munson makes it, but then Rottino also makes it.

Does it really matter whether Munson bats lefty or righty if he is going to make out 8 out of 10 times? The other thing to remember is that a manager is usually reluctant to use their back up catcher as a pinch hitter and not have someone on the bench should the starting catcher get hurt (or tossed). If the argument is bench flexibility with batting, then I think Munson makes it, but then Rottino also makes it.

I don't think it has much to do with pinch hitting. The fact that Kendall is a righty and he's a lefty means Kendall can sit agianst a same handed pitcher and still give the backup the best chance to succeed.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Rivera does suck. He can't hit and is bad defensively.

Rivera as a Brewer in 06 and 07: 155 ABs. .265/.322/.477, 8 HR 27 RBI

Yeah that really sucks.

And before you point to his AAA stats in 07 to back you up endaround, look at what he did in 05 (.895 OPS) and 06 (.827).

Defensively, not a great arm (did gun down a runner yesterday), but is close to average (27 for 101) caught stealing in majors. Has not allowed a passed ball in 40 starts as a Brewer. I wouldn't categorize that as bad.

I agree with JB12 on Rivera as a catcher. For some reason he gets no respect on this site. He would be a decent backup for this team.

Seems like some people feel we need to find a V. Martinez or Mauer to catch till they will be happy. Rather save the money and keep bringing in good veteran catchers that care cost efficient and do the little things.

Spring is hear because the Vinny Rottino bandwagon got out of the garage and down the road. Four years ago I could see him making the team so he would draw some local fans in. Now however this team is too talented for him to make the team. Yes he has hit a little in the minors, but he has a frying pan for a glove no matter what spot the Brewers try to put him at. Lot of players can play multiple spots, that doesn't mean they are good at any of them.

I think it was this year's Baseball Prospectus that I read Rottino threw out 35% of base stealers last year catching in AAA. That's a refreshing change for a Brewer organization catcher!

If I were the manager I'd send Munson to AAA, DFA Counsell (who has negative value, btw) and keep Rivera and Rottino! Dillon, Gross, and one of Kapler/Gwynn/Nix round out the bench.

Archived