Brewer Fanatic

WIAA Basketball Tournaments

hawing

#2 Madison Memorial v. Oshkosh West

Brookfield Central v. #3 Wauwatosa East

The Oshkosh West Germantown game was a fantastic overtime game. One of the better games Ive seen (listened to on the radio).

Wow. What a game between Memorial and Oshkosh West. The 4th quarter began with Memorial leading 49-24. West scored the first 21 points of the quarter, but it was not enough, as Memorial (read the Maymon show) hung on 61-58. Jeronne Maymon scored about 25 of his team's 30 some points in the second half. He is a beast. He's gonna be real good. Great run from West the last 3 years.

I was at the Kohl Center for all four daytime games today.

I'll get the conciliatory part of this post out of the way right away: Burniebrewer, I hope the win by New Berlin Eisenhower helps make up for the pain you felt at Camp Randall in 1986. It looked like Monroe got out-Monroed.

Of the games I attended today, my favorite was Adams-Friendship's win over Plymouth. One player hit a half court shot at the halftime buzzer, then followed up with what proved to be the game-winning 3-pointer late in the 4th. The halftime buzzer beater was kind of funny, as the player didn't appear to realize how little time was left on the clock until possibly half of the Kohl Center yelled, "SHOOT!" Then it goes right in. That's some kind of lucky, and part of what makes the state tournament fun to watch.

Also - I was walking through the second floor concourse just before the afternoon session began, when I came upon none other than Bo Ryan, just walking through by himself. I smiled at him. He gave me the kind of acknowledging look a famous person would give a non-famous person who recognized him. Yes!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'll get the conciliatory part of this post out of the way right away: Burniebrewer, I hope the win by New Berlin Eisenhower helps make up for the pain you felt at Camp Randall in 1986. It looked like Monroe got out-Monroed.

Just got home from work and saw that "we" won. I have virtually no ties to the Eisenhower scene anymore, but it's still nice to see they'll be playing for the title.

And no, the sting of 1986 cannot be removed that easily. It's only been 21 years for me to get over it.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Go Tosa East. Whizkid and I can have a party if they win.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I went to Germantown, and I had no idea that their team was that good this year!

It's too bad they lost out in the first round of the state tourney, but good job nevertheless for a school that was only good at winning football championships.

Does anyone know if there will be a site carrying either audio or video of tonights final? I know its probably a long shot but its the only chance for those of us living out of state. There's a small contingent of Tosa East alumni up here in a small Colorado mountain town that would love to hear/watch tonights state final game. Thanks in advance for any help you guys/gals can offer. Does anyone know if they are still punishing students for wearing the Tommy Raider logo to school sponsored events? Honestly not trying to stir the pot at all...I'm genuinely curious if its still a big deal after all these years.

Alright, Eisenhower D2 State Champions!

Now if Memorial wins, the two high schools I attended will both be champs.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Does anyone know if there will be a site carrying either audio or video of tonights final?

Try the streaming audio link at espn1070.com. They usually carry state tournament games, and I'd expect this game especially since a local team is involved.

Try the streaming audio link at espn1070.com.

I don't know, there could be another nascar show to air.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

With Memorial playing, you'd sure think it would be on.

I just tried the link and they are indeed streaming the Tosa/Memorial game.

Now if Memorial wins, the two high schools I attended will both be champs.

Never a chance http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am happy Eisenhower was the one who won. I have no memories of Memorial that would make me wish they won. Honestly, I wish I never went there.

The next question is, can Eleva-Strum manage the trifecta? They're already the first school to win a football title and boys' basketball title in the same school year; now their girls' basketball team is playing in Madison too.

2007-2008: The year Eleva-Strum took over the universe?

Maybe not the universe, but they are the Florida of Wisconsin high school sports right now. I didn't realize the football/basketball thing had never been done before. Wow! The girls program never was all that great, but they are starting to build a little something, too.

I heard E-S will go to Division 3 next year for basketball. Couple that with all the seniors that were lost and I'd say this title might be something that needs to be enjoyed slowly over time.

On a sad note, though, I realize I am getting quite old. I remember a lot of these guys' dads playing. Heck, Lance Rongstad's dad was just a few years ahead of me in school. Coach Roginski was just starting out when I was in junior high (he was my football coach and Health Science teacher in 7th grade) and he hasn't changed much at all, so maybe that's some solice.

I've never seen this Rongstad play, so I may be way off here. But I'd just like to say that I was the worst cameraman in the history of televised sports for WRPQ TV in Baraboo back in 1999, and Clayton Hanson was a man among boys for Reedsburg. And he was 6'5" I believe...as well as a scholarship recruit for UW-Milwaukee. Again, I haven't seen the other kid play, but Clayton Hanson was a legit Division 1 scholly player from the get go, even if he was a semi-surprise for UW.

Rongstad was 2nd team all-state in the JS today, so he might have some D1 consideration, if he wants to play buckets. I would say he was by far the most polished player on the court, though I doubt he "stood out" like Ndogg says Hanson did.

The Eleva-Strum girls lost to perennial D-4 power Flambeau this morning. Alas.

However, some bf.net posters can enjoy another day of vicarious high school pride. Oshkosh West and Monroe are playing for the gold basketball in their respective divisions on Saturday. And the Lady Cheesemakers aren't facing a team with an Izzo on the roster this time.

Edit: And Monroe won! or as the headline in the Monroe newspaper read, The Cheese Stands Alone. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived