Brewer Fanatic

Getting a new cell phone. (Got T-Mobile).

Jimbo

OK, I'm finally getting with it and getting my first cell. I'll be getting a prepaid plan. I've reviewed the plans and phones from the major competitors.

I've narrowed it to T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular and at&t.

So my question, does anyone have any *strong* feelings about any provider, good or bad, regarding product, service or support? Thanks.

On edit: I'll be using it strictly for incoming and outgoing calls.

I've heard nothing but good things about Verizon, and they've been great since I switched from Sprint recently. Any reason that you left them out of your choices?

For the plan I was interested in, their least inexpensive phone was $80(!!) And I wasn't the most comfortable with their salesperson.

I had Sprint about 4 years ago, and it was ok nothing special, didnt hate it, didnt like it either, it was blah... However, I had 1 phone my whole time with Sprint, its seems like they make some pretty decent strong phones. I then I switched to Cingular/AT&T and I hated it with the passion reception was terrible, I would drop calls everytime on 94 East when I got past Sunnyslope. For them saying fewest dropped call is bogus I would drop them every where, my phone also didnt work well where I worked and I was 50 feet off the 94 in Delafield... I didn't care for the phones, I went through 3 of them.

I switched to Verizon, and it's been great no problems at all, reception is great and the couple times I called customer service they have been very friendly. The phone it self has been great and my work phone is also with verizon and it's great. I get reception in my basement for both phones.

I have friends who have US Cellular and they like it a lot they have had for about 4 years, and I have a couple friends who have T-Mobile and they really dont care for it, they sometimes don't get the greatest reception.

Every salesperson is different some with go out of their way to work with you others, are not very helpful and do not do anything that may give them extra work.

Each

I have had US Cellular since they were Cellular One, almost 10 years now. I really like them. I get reception almost everywhere in Wisconsin until north of Wausau. I even was up in Rochester, MN and got a home signal(I had my phone set to home only, my friend got a better signal, but he was roaming). I got a good signal almost down to Missouri and was still not roaming. I don't even have a nationwide plan. I guess you could say I am pretty happy with them.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I have Verison and I really didn't like the coverage at first. That was until I found out that there is no roaming charges for Verison and I could use it everywhere I was. After I found that out, re uped for another 2 years and got me the sweet Palm Treo 755p. Also my girlfriend has the Verison air card for her computer because she can't get high speed internet. That thing works awesome!

Where are you going to take it? Some providers are better in some places than others.

One seemingly unimportant thing is the time and date display of your actual phone device. I stopped wearing a watch when I first got mine, because the time and date were so easy to read.

The phone I'm now carrying requires me to unlock it before the display will show the time and date. Annoying.

I've had verizon for almost 8 years and I swear by it. I have never had a problem with reception or roaming, I 've lived everywhere from Oshkosh to Cleveland to Wausau to Milwaukee and it has been great everywhere. Even worked perfectly without any extra charges from Toronto. If reception is one of your major concerns, the model of phone makes a huge difference. Motorolla is notorious for having poor signal strength, while LG is supposedly the best for coverage area.

As far as prepaid phones go, I know that your coverage is very limited as it is. I looked into getting one for my parents for Christmas, but turned out to be able to just add a line to my Verizon for only $10 a month and get them a very basic LG phone for less than $40. If you live in the Milwaukee area, and might be interested in Verizon, I would suggest the Verizon store at Bayshore. Try to talk to Madonna (I know right-but she was great to deal with) or the taller skinny guy with the beard, I think his name is Kevin. I have dealt with both of them and had excellent service both times.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Also Veriaon lets you switch any of your calling plan features anytime. I've been over on minutes in the middle of the month and they offered to switch my plan so I wouldn't get hosed with per minute charges, then changed it back the next month with no hassle.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I've heard nothing but good things about Verizon, and they've been great since I switched from Sprint recently. Any reason that you left them out of your choices?

For the plan I was interested in, their least inexpensive phone was $80(!!) And I wasn't the most comfortable with their salesperson.

I definitely would not let one employee out of a huge company like Verizon sour your view of the company as a whole. In addition, I actually started out with Verizon recently on a pre-paid plan. I was given a phone for free from a friend who had recently upgraded. Verizon allowed me to use that phone without any additional charges. I honestly couldn't believe how easy it was to get the phone in my name and set the account up - I did it all online in about 20 minutes or less. I was very impressed with Verizon from the start.

The big question is, what do you plan to use the phone for?

Regular usage in your house?

Long distance calls?

Work?

Trips?

Emergency use only?

Honestly, ask if they have a trial period, because I have friends who loved a company, changed apartments, and suddenly had no reception from their phone.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The big question is, what do you plan to use the phone for?

I only plan to use it once or twice a month. Basically for "HELP!" or "I'm running ten minutes late" or "Where are you?".
Also, I don't plan on moving soon. If I have to, I'll be having much larger issues than cell phone plans.

Where are you going to take it? Some providers are better in some places than others.
One seemingly unimportant thing is the time and date display of your actual phone device. I stopped wearing a watch when I first got mine, because the time and date were so easy to read.

About 95% of my calls will be from Milwaukee/Waukesha/Madison. I see the pre-paid coverages are limited, but good enough for now. I'll always have my watch. It is my alarm clock + stopwatch. Plus, we are not allowed to have cell phones at work.

I see many good comments about Verison. I'll go back in tonight. I like their plan. I'll take a closer look at their phones. When I go in a place, I want to get comfortable with the surroundings, browse around and then ask for help. The gal was in my space within ten seconds of me walking through the door, and peppered me with questions. Nothing wrong with that, just her style, not mine. Also, many people in the store - more than the four competitors combined. I guess that says something.

A good thread. Many excellent responses. I knew I could count on this board.

I was a US Cellular user, and had absolutely no problem with them until we moved to Texas. They told us that we could either cancel both phones (for a $150 per phone fee) or move to Texas with them, and since we wouldn't be using 50% of our time in our home calling area, they could cancel the phones and still charge us the $150 fee. I understand business is business, but it was due to a job change that we moved, not that we wanted out of the phones for any other reason. And, our contract was supposed to end in August. So, I guess if you have any inclination that you may move out of the US Cellular area, don't go with them. We have AT&T now, and are liking their service.

AT&T and T-Mobile both use GSM . . . and from all accounts from anyone I've ever known, AT&T is pure garbage. Plus, you know, they spy on people. I think Verizon and T-Mobile are the best bets. I'm switching from Sprint (after 7 years) at the end of my contract and I've narrowed it down to these two: Verizon and T-Mobile.

i have verizon for the sole reason that they backup my phone numbers and if i would of ever lost my phone or get a new one, i don't have to put in all my new numbers. I can download my phone book. I have had it for 5 years and really never had a problem with them. i know they are not part of your list, but i am throwing it out.

I first had cingular (att) and switched to verizon because my calls would get dropped in 2 or 3 spots in Milwaukee EVERY time i drove through them (Hawley Rd and Bluemound was the biggest one). I ended up living in that area for a year, and therefore has to switch services because I got 0 service in my house. Verizon was the only provider that has has amazing signal everywhere I've gone.

Every single thing about Verizon I love. I actually have a V3 Razr that I dont use anymore (upgraded to the voyager). I would be more than willing to sell you my phone for a really good price if you are able to use it...

I have had verizon for 3 years and before that I had us cellular. I have no complaints about either. I like verizons no roaming and as someone has stated they call ahead to help you with possible bill problems. Like when my friends started sending lots of text messages the verizon store called and said they could add the 200 message for $5 plan and would even cover the already received messages.

I only plan to use it once or twice a month. Basically for "HELP!" or "I'm running ten minutes late" or "Where are you?".

In that case, have you ever considered a pre-pay plan like Virgin Mobile? I'm not sure what the pre-pay plans cost at all of the aforementioned providers, but on VM, you only have to deposit $20 every 3 months to keep your phone active. If you're not going to be making many calls, that comes out to less than $7/month.

I do have an account with them because I too wanted a phone "just in case". I have a middle of the road phone and it consistently gets 3 bars out of 5 (reception) in the house and 5 bars almost everywhere outside the house. It's nothing fancy, but I love it because it is so inexpensive...$80 for the whole year.

The phones don't cost too much to start with and some come bundled with airtime. If you want to check them out, they ship and activate for free from their website (or they are sold at Target and Best Buy along with the top-up cards you use to put more minutes on).

Website

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Also, I don't plan on moving soon. If I have to, I'll be having much larger issues than cell phone plans.

I've had the AT&T .25 cent per minute prepaid for 3 years. If I use it 15 minutes a month that's a lot. For $100 a year I have a very basic phone that meets my needs. It works fine in the extended metro area. It should work fine in other cities across the US and along major highways. It's all I need. I buy $25 worth every 90 days, you just need to have a surefire way to remember when to buy more so they rollover and don't expire.

Archived