Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne will save 40 games this year

ELCABALLO45
  • Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plus...he shook off Kendell, you just don't do that
Gagne actually mentioned that in the post game conference, that he was wrong in shaking off Kendall last night. He said something to the effect that the guy behind the plate has an "x" amount of years of calling pitches and knows what to do, but rather he threw what he wanted to throw instead based on his own experience. He basically praised Kendall and said something that sounded like he wouldn't be shaking off Jason much in the near future.

It just seems from what we have heard about Kendall with pieces like this and from others, that having him behind the plate calling games instead of Estrada as your main number one catcher is certainly a major upgrade despite the fact that offensively they will probably put up similar OPS numbers.

Im also still not worried. Yeah he blew the save on a fluke HR to Patterson. But man he had good velocity on the fastball and was locating his change and curve. He should always listen to Kendall from now on, if Kendall calls for the change you throw it. Gagne will be fine, hope he can get another chance tonight right away. I also think he should throw more curves, the one he threw to Freel was just plain nasty!

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

That outing was so disappointing because he looked SO good and no one will remember that, they'll just talk about the HR. I was at the game, so maybe someone who had on WMLW or GameDay could verify, but the MP gun picked up at least two pitches at 99 mph. I don't think anyone thought he had that kind of velocity left.

I'm actually in the camp that sincerely wants to see Gagne do well (and not just for the reason that I want our team to do well). I was so upset last night because I knew that it would just feed the anti-Eric's out there.

After the Fukudome HR, everyone on the Brewers pointed out that Fuku was hitting completely different in season than he was in spring training, which is why every single one of our pitchers had difficulty with him - basically all the scouting we had on him went out the window. Every pitcher in that game gave up hits to Fuku, Gagne's just happened to go yard.

The problem is that we can explain that one away and call this one a fluke HR, but it's going to start sounding like excuses real soon.

I think he'll be just fine. I mean Corey came fairly close to catching it. It was almost like a looper. I don't mind him blowing the saves early in the season, he's already shown a willingness to adjust, so I think he'll adjust again. Remember every blown save lessens his cost for next year, and we'll need a closer next year as well. I like the Todd Jones comparison. if he can be that kind of unimpressive closer who's actually signable, well, I think that's what the Crew needs considering the huge contracts they're going to be doling out in the next two years.

I was at the game, so maybe someone who had on WMLW or GameDay could verify, but the MP gun picked up at least two pitches at 99 mph. I don't think anyone thought he had that kind of velocity left.

The highest the WMLW gun had him was 94. For example, when he struck out Freel with the high heat. His first couple pitches and then to Keppinger said his fastball was hitting only 88-89.

I don't recall if he shook off Kendall or not, but perhaps their still feeling each other out.
Just heard Gagne soundbite on WSSP's postgame show and he said he shook Kendall off. Kendall wanted the changeup (the correct call). Gagne said that's a learning experience and he should probably trust a guy that's been around for 25 years. For what it's worth, I saw him drop a couple of naughty words as he walked to the dugout and he looked extremely angry at himself.

I was screaming at the TV to throw the change!!! Gagne is by no means the dominant "Game Over" pitcher of the past, but he can still be extremely effective. It will just take better pitch selection and location. He had that with the prior two batters. He set up the batter prior to Patterson well and got two strikes on Patterson, then he fouled off the heater. That's when the adrenaline overtook him with the crowd on it's feet. He needed a little Greg Maddux there...the louder the crowd yells...the slower he throws it. It won't be the last save he blows this year, but I think he'll be a decent option.

I was at the game, so maybe someone who had on WMLW or GameDay could verify, but the MP gun picked up at least two pitches at 99 mph. I don't think anyone thought he had that kind of velocity left.

The highest the WMLW gun had him was 94. For example, when he struck out Freel with the high heat. His first couple pitches and then to Keppinger said his fastball was hitting only 88-89.

Thanks. I thought the 99 was a little generous!

I agree, when Gagne has gotten hurt, it's been with the fastball. Nobody has handled the curve or the off-speed stuff yet. He threw all fastballs to the first three guys in Chicago, and got killed, then changed, and got outs - last night he looked fine, and then he put a 2-strike fastball right at the belt.

I don't think Gagne will be nearly this bad all season.

Even if he'd pitch as poorly as he did with the Red Sox (which is a bit of a stretch IMO), that would still cut his current ERA in half.

I'm not terribly worried, I think we'll see him do just fine as we get further into the season.

I still think it's interesting he took the blame for shaking off Kendall against the Reds. If he and Kendall stay on the same page, good things will happen.

I agree, I think that mistake taught Gagne something, and I think he'll be fine going forward. Two blown saves will happen, but when it's two of your first three chances in a season, that's going to make some noise.

He's basically had the same stuff in all of his appearances so far. It's just come down to execution and a little bit of bad luck. I don't think Gagne will lose his job as closer this year at any point.
Kind of like what we were hearing out of Boston last year while he was there. I think Gagne is a good example, so far, of performance vs results. He has pitched pretty well, he has just had bad results.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived