Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne will save 40 games this year

ELCABALLO45

Funny how future results can be confusing when you use one-game samples to form the basis of an argument. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I want the Brewers to win, but I don't want to cheer for a guy who broke the law, cheated the game, and really whose whole career could be a myth.

I hate to say it, but you're pigeon-holing youself to cheering for about 5-10% of all MLBers. Oh, but the Mitchell Report named names, so the other guys are in the clear (pun intended)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, we've obviously got to stay with him and the fact that we won the game doesn't make his blown save tonight seem as bad, but he doesn't seem dominate on the mound. Cordero and even Turnbow just have a presence that Gagne hasn't shown yet. Maybe it's just me...

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

With an offense built like ours he should have no problem getting his saves. Just ask Joe Borowski. I'd rather let our better relievers come in during the high pressure situations anyways.

Tonight I wasn't impressed with Gagne's stuff at all. When he missed he missed by a couple feet and he really has to reach back to hit 94.

I really thought Hart was going to bring back ANOTHER one. And I would've freaked out just like last time.

Gagne looked good minus the homer. I'm not worried yet either but he makes me nervous like Turnbow does.

Everyone brings up the Rivera stat... Yes, the greatest closer in the history of the game struggled for a short while once. And Michael Jordan was cut from the JV team in high school. This means nothing when talking about other athletes.

I'm not going to jump on him yet, if you were to take Cordero's blown saves in Texas last season and instead have him start off like that .. look at how Cordero dominated all those years in texas, pitched poorly to start 06', pitched great after and dealt to us.... it's just magnified because it's the start of the season, it's wayyy toooo early to tell, I'm still going to remain optimistic, but maybe now cautiously optimistic..

As far as Cordero is concerned, he said that he would've signed a below market deal during the 06'-07' off-season with the Brewers, but the Brewers wanted to see him pitch. Sounds like a bad move on Doug's part.. but at the same time it almost seemed like that was a big chunk of the reason why he signed with Cin.. kinda like "you had your chance, screw you now".. but then again he said the Reds called him all the time during this past off-season really wanting him.. Should Doug have pressed more? I will say though at the same time his agent never gave the Brewers the chance to match the Red's offer.. so..he also cites that the Reds have the chance to get far, and almost seemed like the Brewers didnt? or at least thats what it sounded like he was implying.

Looking at just the results of 3 IP doesn't tell us much. If that HR had been 2 ft shorter, we'd be glowing about Gagne getting it all back together after his dreadful first appearance. Such is baseball. His "stuff" has looked pretty good (although that HR was certainly a mistake pitch), so I'm not freaking out just yet. 93-94 MPH fastball, a change up almost 10 MPH slower.... I guess we'll see.

Yes it does because it shows that he can recover to have a great year yet very easily. Especially with 155 games to go.

It shows that who can recover? Someone else? Okay...

I'm not jumping off the cliff with Gagne just yet, but I really think the Rivera stat is a throwaway stat. If it were the same person, then maybe it would hold water.

the first game against chicago was horrible...that said, the situation was a bad one, and i will give it a pass

The second game, which i happened to be at, he looked great, mixed up his pitches well and had good movement..

This last game, even though i didnt get to see it.. the homer sounded cheap.. Yost will not make a change to the closer until it gets real bad. I think he will stick with gagne for a long time

Everyone brings up the Rivera stat... Yes, the greatest closer in the history of the game struggled for a short while once. And Michael Jordan was cut from the JV team in high school. This means nothing when talking about other athletes.

I personaly don't consider Rivera the greatest closer of all time.. ESPN might, not me.

I think Gagne's biggest mistake thus far is he is throwing too many fastballs. His changeup has had great movement and his curve freezes hitters. If he mixed in a couple more uncle charlies and shied away from the heat, he'd be better off. The best example came tonight vs. Patterson - why throw back-to-back fastballs to Patterson? A decently placed change would have seen strike three or a 4-3 groundout to finish. I don't recall if he shook off Kendall or not, but perhaps their still feeling each other out.

I don't recall if he shook off Kendall or not, but perhaps their still feeling each other out.
Just heard Gagne soundbite on WSSP's postgame show and he said he shook Kendall off. Kendall wanted the changeup (the correct call). Gagne said that's a learning experience and he should probably trust a guy that's been around for 25 years. For what it's worth, I saw him drop a couple of naughty words as he walked to the dugout and he looked extremely angry at himself.

Gagne looked good tonight, yeah he gave up a HR that cost him the save but the location of his pitches was mostly good and the velocity was fine. I just don't see this as a big deal. From a fantasy standpoint I took this outing as a chance to buy low on him because he pitched a good game but had bad results and that is what you want.

Pre-2005 Miller Park and we're not even talking about Gagne. Was it a bad pitch? Yeah. But I'd rather have Gagne give up a fluke HR to Corey Patterson with 2 outs than walking the first two guys he faces, no matter what the next 3 guys up do.

But it doesn't tell you anything about what's likely to happen in the future, like his good location/velocity/stuff do.

Gagne at $10 mil. and not 4 years >> Cordero at > $10 mil. and yes 4 years

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived