Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne will save 40 games this year

ELCABALLO45
Was Gagne sick or not feeling well yesterday. He didn't look comfortable and I think I also saw him bend over once before the home run as well, but as someone mentioned, maybe it was after. He also keep trying to cool himself off which looked strange after a while and kept moving around and just didn't look comfortable out there.
One of the game reports indicated that he was having trouble with his footing, with mud in his cleats.

If you noticed, they had to rake the bullpen during his warm up session and he obviously looked uncomfortable. I think the general consensus between everyone on this site is to give him some more chances before calling for his head. After last year that may be difficult to do but we need to remain calm.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Gagne got squeezed a bit, but that's what happens when you are really wild--the umps are in default ball mode and unless you show you can throw a strike, you're not going to get the close ones.

Those definately would have been strikes for Maddux (circa 1995).

I think the same thing happens to hitters with great eyes at the plate, Bonds or Thomas or Williams was going to get the called ball on the corner more than Johnny Estrada because they have shown good knowlege of the strike zone.

I was wondering, as others were, what the self-fanning was all about. He sure did it a lot. One thing I liked is how he bounced back after giving up the home run. He looked much better, and was able to get his off-speed and breaking ball over the plate, thus making his fastball much better. I thought he threw way too many fastballs to the first three hitters, and he paid for it.

His bouncing back made me feel better about him. Turnbow would have probably imploded after that. Over the course of a long season, he's going to have his moments, as every closer has, of struggle. It's just too bad one of them was during opening day.

During the broadcast Bill and Brian mentioned that the grounds crew was working on the mound before the Cubs pitched, but not before the Brewers. They said Yost finally called the umpire to task for it and also mentioned that we paused in the 8th so they could clean up the bullpen - when Gagne would have been warming up. With all his fidgeting on the mound, I can only figure that he wasn't getting his footing and was trying desperately to figure it out.

Coco was supposed to be a washed up, retread closer when the Brewers traded for him, too - that turned out pretty well if you ask me.

That is another good point I was thinking of. When we traded for CoCo, he had lost the closer job in Texas and people thought his better days were behind him. That was not the case at all.

I do think it was in poor taste for Eric to not stick around to face reporters about the outing.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I do think it was in poor taste for Eric to not stick around to face reporters about the outing.
The Brewers had to cover for him a bit here because I think it's league policy to talk to reporters after the game. They claimed that nobody approached him fast enough before he left.

Why would you expect anything else?

Here is his resume thus far for the Brewers

1. Sign $10 million contract

2. Get named in the Mitchell report

3. Make a Giambi-like non-apology and refuse to take questions

4. Pitch terribly in his debut

And yet people are fawning all over him. . .why do I suspect we'll be glad it's just a one year deal?

And yet people are fawning all over him. . .why do I suspect we'll be glad it's just a one year deal?

Nobody has fawned all over him and most people are glad it is a 1 year deal so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I know it is 'cool' to diss everyone on the mitchell report but this just seems overboard.

Shouldn't your anger be more directed at DM and not Gagne for taking 10 million?

It's one outing, and Gagne seemed to calm down after giving up the jack. Before I run to the hills, I'll give him a fair shake.

Yea, he should have come out and said, "I'm sorry for taking steroids" rather than a vague and non-commital apology that everyone with a clue knew was about. That way he could have been suspended. YEA!!! Then I'd really fawn all over him.

So what do we have? He signed a contract. Kinda a must, and sure not his fault.

2 and 3 are numbered as such in order to make it seem as though there are really more things to complain about, and he did NEITHER with the Berwers, so I don't know why you'd say this is his "resume with the Brewers". Those are things that happened about 3 years ago now. Let it go. Move on. He's always been a good pitcher save for about 6 innings in Boston(that he was bad, I think it was 18 2/3rd overall.

And why I do I suspect that regardless of what he does, you're not going to like him? Moreover, why do I suspect that we're not going to hear much when he has a great month and hopefully half and then year?

But hey, he probably should have said, "Oh...golly Mr. Melvin, it's awful nice of you to offer me this 10 million dollars, but I really just want 35 K a year and some meal money". This is baseball. To take it out on Gange? Hmm...

The Brewers had to cover for him a bit here because I think it's league policy to talk to reporters after the game. They claimed that nobody approached him fast enough before he left.

I'm one of the biggest Gagne fans on this board, but even I don't by that and I think he should have stuck around. But as I have said all will be forgotten once he gets on a roll closing games.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

First off, to Razzzorsharp & Ennder, you're right. There are times when I try to sound clever, but I err on the side of smugness. It's too cutesy and really takes away from the content of what I want to say. That was a fair criticism of me by you.

There are a few other responses that I'll comment on. . .

Yea, he should have come out and said, "I'm sorry for taking steroids" rather than a vague and non-commital apology that everyone with a clue knew was about. That way he could have been suspended. YEA!!! Then I'd really fawn all over him.

Sorry Gopher74. If he was sincere in his apology, and truly felt sorry for taking HGH, then he should have admitted what he did, apologized for that and let the chips fall where they may. Otherwise, it's not really a mature, adult apology. Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons did a much better job of coming clean. Gagne's press conference lasted less than a minute and he didn't answer any questions. It was bush league.

I don't know why you'd say this is his "resume with the Brewers".

I listed those four things in chronological order, from the time he signed his deal through Opening Day. He signed on December 11; then on December 13 he was named in the Mitchell Report; then on February 18 he apologized for being a distraction--not to the fans or to baseball, but to his family, friends and teammates; then on Opening Day he goes single, walk, homer and blows the save. Then he bolts before facing the press. Maybe somewhere in the middle of those days, he represented himself better, and I'm just cherry picking the bad stuff, but those are the headline things. And you'd be hard pressed to find a guy who had a rougher debut as a Brewer Free Agent signing, from Signing Day through Day One.

He signed a contract. Kinda a must, and sure not his fault.

He signed a pretty substantial contract to pitch in high leverage situations. I actually liked the deal on December 11, and then was disappointed on December 13, and then got pretty angry on February 18. I want the Brewers to win, but I don't want to cheer for a guy who broke the law, cheated the game, and really whose whole career could be a myth.

why I do I suspect that regardless of what he does, you're not going to like him? Moreover, why do I suspect that we're not going to hear much when he has a great month and hopefully half and then year?

On this one, you're right to a point. I'm probably not going to like him. He made a really bad first impression, and unless he does some serious image rebuilding, I've decided on him. That's strictly his personal character stuff (and probably mine, too)--not baseball stuff. And I promise that I will respond positively if he is successful--if you promise to join me in ripping him if he has a bad month, half, and year. You may or may not care about the drug use. I really dislike it. Some people are indifferent toward it.

Shouldn't your anger be more directed at DM and not Gagne for taking 10 million?

Good point, sgtcluels. But at least Melvin has a track record with the Brewers. He's done some good things, and has largely been good for the franchise. Gagne hasn't done anything good for the franchise yet. And our expectations of what Gagne could do for the Brewers are based on what he did in the past for the Dodgers (& Rangers). How much of that was him, and how much of it came from his use of drugs? How can anyone know, since he's unwilling to talk?

My biggest worry is that Eric Gagne has been signed to a pretty big contract to be the closer. If he stumbles and gives us 6 or 7 bad games in a row, how long is Yost going to keep running him out there? Is he under any pressure to use Gagne as a closer no matter what? What is a clean Eric Gagne really capable of? Can he throw 90? Can he get hitters out?

Gange has yet to realize that Milwaukee media isn't Boston or LA or even Dallas.

That is a good point, maybe he doesn't realize that they won't grill him the way those cities media does.

They'd be intimidated if anything.

Archived