Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne will save 40 games this year

ELCABALLO45

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 saves means way too many close games for my liking. I'd prefer it if Gagne only had to have 30 opportunities all year, and the rest of the Brewer wins were by more than 3 runs. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Thus why, I agree that the number of blown saves is the important number -- opportunities (bad team/no wins vs. good team/blowouts) have a lot to do with the closers chance at 40. So, if he doesn't blow his chances, he is a good closer.

Would feel that less than 8 over the full year is acceptable.

I think Gagne will have quite a few 3-run lead save opportunities this season. The importance of that stat, and whether or not it can tell you if a game is/was close, is way overblown imho.

I agree with the notion that blown saves (it'd have to be BS% for me) is a much more effective way to measure a CP than saves.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

2002-2004, he saved 152 games, and blew 6 saves.

55/0 in 2003 alone.

I think his arm is healthy, he won't need to wear down, as there are lots of other bullpen options, no need for him to pitch 4 out of 5 games or anything drastic like that.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I really wish the Brewers had signed him for 2 years and 16 million dollars. Heck, when you're going one year at 10, all the sudden a second at 6 million sounds a lot better.

I guess the thought could be he's less likely to have two good years, and if he does have a great one this year, then you can possibly get those two top picks for him. If you keep him for two years, then the chances for injury drastically increase and you don't get those two picks.

Still, I don't like the thought of him saving 40 and then getting that big deal elswhere, and I certainly don't like the idea of us giving it to him.

I'd rather have the 1-yr deal.

Two years just seems risky for a guy who's had sugery

and an up and down last year...

If he become a class A, I'll take the Draft picks.

But again, the second year would have been at 6 million dollars. If you're banking on him having a good enough season to justify the 10 million, then wouldn't another at just 6 be a better risk?

I'd rather have the 1-yr deal.

Two years just seems risky for a guy who's had sugery
and an up and down last year...
If he become a class A, I'll take the Draft picks.
But again, the second year would have been at 6 million dollars. If you're banking on him having a good enough season to justify the 10 million, then wouldn't another at just 6 be a better risk?

Plus...giving him a one year deal forces Gagne to continue to pitch for his life. If he wants another huge payday, then watch out NL.

I really wish the Brewers had signed him for 2 years and 16 million dollars.

I don't think Gagne gave the Brewers an option to sign him for 2 years (unless it would have for $20M+). In all likelihood we will have Gagne for one year. If he is awesome, he will get more than Cordero this offseason, if he sucks then we won't want him.

I am pretty sure Gagne wants 2008 to set up a fat multi-year deal in 2009.

That said, I am content with DM signing EG to a 1yr deal.

I really wish the Brewers had signed him for 2 years and 16 million dollars.

I don't think Gagne gave the Brewers an option to sign him for 2 years (unless it would have for $20M+). In all likelihood we will have Gagne for one year. If he is awesome, he will more than Cordero this offseason, if he sucks then we won't want him.

I am pretty sure Gagne wants 2008 to set up a fat multi-year deal in 2009.

That said, I am content with DM signing EG to a 1yr deal.

Archived